Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think I've lost my mind, I'm going with a SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nowaxn5, Jul 10, 2011.

1. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Ok, let the bashing begin. I haven't tore the 331 in the caddy down yet but I'm pretty sure I lost a piston /broke a rod on my way back from CraftyB's open house a couple of saturdays back. No warning signs; wasn't burning oil, blowing smoke, running hot and no knocking sounds. The plug was slapped pretty hard, the bridge is gone and the flywheel will only rotate half way.
    Well, after looking into some pricing, I'm thinking of replacing the 331 with a much cheaper 290 hp crate gm 350 and backing it with a new 700r. I can do this for about the price of having the 331 rebuilt. by no means am I an engine builder nor do I want to be.
    Yes, the 331 Caddy motor is a much cooler motor hands down, no debate. The sbc is maore affordable and If something does go wrong I can find parts anywhere.
    Have I lost my mind? Tell me what you guys think.
    By the way, I plan to drive this car ALOT, and I would love to take it on an across country road trip.

Have I lost my mind? Convince me one way or the other...

2. 41 C28

41 C28

Do you want to get her back on the road ? Its your car and if the SBC isn't to someone else's liking let them pay for the Caddy rebuild.

3. farmer12

farmer12

Save up money for a rebuild. Just my opinion....

4. koolit

koolit
    from cen cal

Its your car do what you want to. Besides the guy peeking under the hood picking apart your choice is in the perfect position for an ass kicking.

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I'd have to see this Caddy to know if you were devaluing it or not. If she is really pristine then you would be, If she is more of a custom then not so much.
    I always hate to be the guy who de frocks a cars cherry and turns it from a pristine example to a dirty girl into which anything can go.
    I'd be torn as well.

Under the best of circumstances 90% of any lookers won't know bells from hells difference what they are looking at so don't do it for them. The few commentors that will make a schtanky bunch over it would find something anything to nit pick upon no matter what. So you really only have yourself to ask the question as to do I want a pristine example of a Cadillac automobile or do I want a car that will stick with me and suit my needs.
    You really will be the only one to please.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Nothing wrong with a change in drivetrain when a catastrophic failure happens. A new engine and OD transmission for the price of a rebuild of a used-up engine is not a bad thing.

7. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I've always liked a Cadi in Cadi but I'm kind of goofy that way.

8. F&J

F&J

I was mo there to hear it, but if it were me...pull the head and look before buying a new motor.

It would still cost good money to put the late motor in, buy new exhaust, hoses, whatever, and the cost of a new trans.

Sounds like you will never sell the car, so you won't care if the 350 hurts the value.

9. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Francisco, it's a pretty clean car that will be getting a mild custom treatment. The resale value of the car is not a priority to me. I don't plan on selling the car anytime in the near future. My biggest concern is how my family and I will enjoy the car.

10. More horsepower, less money and reliability too? What's more traditional than that??

11. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

My opinon would be Caddy rebuild. I love the blood line. But it's your baby,you do what you got to do. Which ever way you go,keep the Caddy engine, possible rebuild later.

12. reece

reece
    from NC

Personally I'd do the SBC if I was planning a coast to coast road trip. Easier to find parts on the road. I would also make sure I did not change things too drastically in case I ever decided to reinstall the Caddy motor. Just my 2 cents worth...

13. the swap's a no-brainer. this keeping the same motor in the same car is bullshit. and if anybody starts running their mouth about how you should be true to the marque, just point out the iconic 32 fords with hemi's, sbc's, bbc's, late model flattie's, old's, pontiac's...... you get the idea.

14. erlomd

erlomd

put cadillac valve covers on the sbc....there fixed....the same also applies for rocket 88, corvette, and ive even seen an ardun valve cover! hey if it says cadillac in a caddy your technically not lying.

15. Right there is your answer. Put in the SBc enjoy no worries.....

16. 61 chevy

61 chevy

yea, you might as well join the club, everbody else has,

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You have seen the light! Long live the Mouse Motor! Chevrolet U.S.A-1

18. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Cadillac put Chev 350's in Cadillacs. It should be ok if you do.

19. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

id say go for the cookie cutter sbc and o/d then you can drive it and have a good source of parts anywhere you are ,cause almost everyone has one , but keep that cad mill and trans under the bench so the car can be returned to original some day down the road , i dig them ole caddys

20. Black Primer

Black Primer

Would you rather be driving it, or wishing you were driving it ? I've seen guys lose interest in a project while it sits waiting and wishing.

21. Fogger

Fogger

I agree with all those that say put in the SBC and OD trans, but keep the Caddy engine and trans just in case. You will enjoy your ride and the new found reliability. Good luck!!

22. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I like a SBC for their simplicity and reliability. However....

Before I did anything, I'd pull the heads off and see what's going on. It's entirely possible the piston just came apart and has done a bit of damage, but it is catastrophic to only the one cylinder. It could be possible that you'd only need one piston and a set of valves for one cylinder to get it back onto the road.

A few hundred dollars may get you going and have you cruising along happily instead of a grand or so to drop the SBC/OD combo in.

However, it's your call. I'm just saying what I'd do if it were me.

23. justinj

justinj

Lot's of SBC guys around here, I guess. A rebuilt Caddy is going to be as reliable if not more so than a SBC.

24. justinj

justinj

What about a later model Caddy engine? That would be cooler. Like the 390.

25. Algon

Algon

Things happen but you won't have much to worry about on the road if the car is built well, serviced and broken in before taking long trips.

The sbc-700 would be nice in a car such as yours and it's done all the time.......However it's a more valuable, cool and capable cruiser the way it is. So if cheaper, easier, more available is what your after? How about a nice Chevy ? A whole Chevy..... Keep the Caddy for Sunday suppers or swap it off. Besides where do you stop? Disk brakes? Modern suspension? New differential? I understand doing this to a ground up build if you wanted but why ruin a nice Caddy that needs a little work to be right back on the road.

26. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, a 472/500 would be cool- sorry, but putting an el-cheapo Chebbie in a nice classic top of the line Caddy like yours would just ruin a nice car. And have you ever noticed how the rah-rah Chebbie types claim better dependability, but in the same breath claim easier to find parts- if the "dependability" is so superior, why do you need to worry so much about finding parts? :rolleyes: You could use any make late-model engine and be able to buy basics like water pumps and ignition parts in any parts store just as easily as for a Cheborelet- that whole finding parts "defense" is low-grade baloney
    Definitely wouldn't give up on the one you have without checking it out, if you can find someone with a borescope you can see what's up without even pulling the heads

27. But it's not a 32 Ford, it's a Caddy. You aren't going to yank your Caddy fenders cause it looks good on a Deuce.
    But the majority is right, it's your car, and your money- which makes it all your decision. Just ask yourself what your favorite things are about your Caddy. If its originality and engine aren't on the list, then proceed without fear. Personally, if I yanked my motor for an SBC it would take away all of its character. But the engine is my favorite element in a car. Don't get me wrong, I love SBC's when they are in the right cars. And the false advertisement valve cover idea is for those who are ashamed. Do what you gotta do, but be proud of it.
    My .02

28. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Major engine failure isn,t a common thing for Cadillacs or most engines, but it can happen to any engine. Things I would worry about would be water pump, fuel pump, things that are external and not readily available. No other engine, or parts, can beat Chevies prices but I,m in the 'keep it in the family' opinion however its your car. I remember our 39 Pontiac lost the water pump in dipstick S. Dakota on a trip to Ca. and we had to layover a nite to get a replacement but that was in 1944.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  29. retromotors

retromotors

It's your ride, so you gotta do what you gotta do to feel OK with it. No argument there.
    I've got nothing against the SBC, great engines.
    But it would just kill my soul to be driving a primo Cadillac like yours and have to admit to anyone that it had a Chevy engine!

Think about it. Your car was one of the finest on the road when it was built, and that includes the engine.
    There's not a reason in the world that your 331 shouldn't be as reliable as anything on the highway, and more reliable than most.
    Sure, it costs more to overhaul it. It also costs more to wear a Rolex instead of a Timex, but one is a hell of a lot cooler than the other.
    (Just an example, I could give a rat's ass about watches!)

Whatever your decision, good luck with it.

30. bonesy

bonesy

Perfect answer.