Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. VonDad

VonDad

Lately been driving Fraz's 60 Buick 4dr hardtop. He's lettin me use it for a while. Went over to a friend's house on a Sat to play music, and of course they all come out to the street to look and talk. All agree that its fun and loud. 401 nailhead and straight pipes. Very low idle. Big rump rump

Later in the week I go over to visit with my buddy. When I come into the house his girlfriend says, "I knew it was you." How's that I asked her. She said, "Well, it either had to be you or about 50 harleys."

Now they call it Bill's 4 wheeled harley. Best of all its no show piece and major looks and thumbs up from all over town. Never happens when I drive the wife's van though..

Go figger
    VonDad

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

My favorate is when they yell Oh Sh#t look at that.

3. dcwest32

dcwest32

About 40 years ago, yah it was sometime ago, my wife and I went to gas up our 40 ford tudor, corvette red with bright yellow and orange flames, the ederly couple, our age now. comes over and says " we had a car just like this, except it was a plymouth and it was green" we still laugh about this when ever we get any reaction on a current driver.

4. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

I had a cool encounter last week when I was driving with the DeSoto down my street. An old man stopped me and started, quite poetically: "1952. I was about your age* and moved to Canada." The rest of his story was quite engaging. He told me about this old Plymouth he owned in Canada, a 1950 coupe, and told me some adventures with the car and girls and such. Pretty cool. I always like it when people talk that enthusiastic about something that they are passionate about. Especially somebody who 'was there when it happened' :) Mind you, I live in The Netherlands. It's not uncommon that Dutch people went to Canada and America in the fourties and fifties but what are the odds meeting one that moved back and walking down the street you live?

* I guess he thought I was just in my twenties

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Best reaction was a little boy grabbing his dad's pants leg and jerking on his pants while he yelled, "Look, look, look!!!!" Then he started stomping on his dad's foot, because he didn't look fast enough for him. Priceless.

6. smarg

smarg

If it were a cadillac there would have been 6 girls! Do the math... :D

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  7. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Print out the law where it says you can pump your own for collector cars, etc. and wave it in the gas jockey's face; thus save your paint job.

8. My 7 was parked under a friends carport, in his apt complex, where I was watching it(yeah I'm that guy).. When a yng woman walking by, holding her 3 or 4yo daughters hand, says.. 'that cars tight, Mommy!' Ever since, I've noticed more lil' chil-rens staring, when they walk by in the intersections and such.

Another time an AMG pulled up next to me, asking me if the 7 was for sale. I just shook my head. Then he asked if I knew where to get one like it.. I just looked at him, and shook my head no again!

9. Went to a nursing home to show the patients the old cars. A 93 year old lady came up to my avatar car - looked inside and said "My husband and I had one just like it - Is the backseat still the same? Then she asked for a ride - soon as we turned on the highway she said "Hit it! Got our picture in the paper. This Lady will never get Old and she made my day.

10. busguy71

busguy71

'71 VW bus with hippie stickers covering the rear windows.... kids come running up to the van... " ARE YOU THE ICE CREAM MAN?????"

Once had a cop follow me and pull in behind me at my friends house just to tell me that my van was cool, we bullshitted a little while, then he said " by the way, you have a tail light out" I pulled a Fonzie and slapped the tail light real hard and it came back on, "fixed it" I said.

11. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

the paint on my coupe is that old lacquer,and its cracking pretty good. this little boy comes up and says to his dad.."that one is is scratched".haha..another time I drove the car to the turkey run in daytona, florida. I pulled in to get gas and this woman was looking at me and then the licence tag very perplexed..and said "did you drive it from TN?"...heck yes lady,lol

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

ive driven my 64 chevy truck daily for 25 years . i get asked all the time how many miles are on it

13. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

I was in my 33 chevy coupe one day and a guy told me,Hey,i used to have a car just like yours,I said really,just like mine!..He said yeah,,by the way what kind of car is that..

unfinished likes this.
  14. Old&Low

Old&Low

Two things come to mind: Once, in the early '70s when I went into a 7-Eleven to get a gallon of milk on the way home. I came out to find some guy with the hood open on my recently 'finished' '35 Ford 5W Coupe, as in fresh SB Vette Motor, Black Tuck & Roll, Americans, AND fresh Forest Green paint! He "just wanted to see what it had in it." Back then I about 'had a cow,' and asked if if he'd be just as fast to pop the hood on a brand new Eldorado! He said "of course not!" I said "this cost more than an Eldorado!" That pissed me off for years but, looking back on it, it was probably one of the best compliments I could've gotten.
    Second cool reaction I got was when I was in my brand spankin' new (OT ) '74 BB Vette. My partner in a college Debating class ( a drop-dead gorgeous Blonde) and I decided to cut class and go pick up a case of beer fifteen miles away in the next county (ours was dry.) On the way back, each of us drinking a beer in those young and dumb,not-so politically correct times, doing about 80 mph in the 55mph speed limit of the day, I am "living the dream;" a Blonde, a new Corvette, and a case of Coors, when a State Trooper pulls up beside me in the fast lane, smiles and nods. Without thinking, I 'tip my beer' to him as if to say 'Hello to you too!' In that following nanosecond when I'm sure I'm headed for jail or at least facing a heavy fine, he laughs out loud and blazes past me like I'm standing still! The Lord smiles on little children and dumb Irishmen.

15. Okay, the car is OT but the reaction was priceless. I had just finished putting brakes on a customers Range Rover Sport, and was test driving it. I pulled up to a stop sign and a GIGANTIC black dude with the deepest voice I've ever heard (think James Earl Jones after a nitrous hit) says;

"Yo man, yo ride is FAT!!"

16. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

The best of all of them are the ones that truly and honestly just smile and wave and say nothing. I keep the truck in spotless condition for those folks

17. The wife and I took our 56 to Death Valley. There were two other older Fords there too, a 32 & 33. At Scotty's Castle an older lady (about 70) behind the counter complimented us on the truck. When I mentioned the other two older cars she said "yeah but yours is real, theirs are plastic." I thought it was cool that she would know.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. HRs&HDs

HRs&HDs

Had a '69 Camaro with a heavy cam and an old girlfriend asked how can I tell if it's running smoothly?

19. SLCK64

SLCK64

:D Nice story!!

Jesus Built My Hot Rod--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuk62WtK4sk&feature=related

20. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

This thread is great. I can relate to alot of these stories. Even with my car I get the what year and cool car. But one of the best reactions is when I pop the hood and they see the 454 in there . Its holy s**t. If you dont like talking to people, dont own a old classic car .They will go out of there way to talk to you. Its great when there are parents with young kids and I open the door and let them hop up there to have a sit . Its the same look with the kids as its when the parents get to sit too. A BIG CHEESEY GRIN. Keep the stories coming.

21. shocker998md

shocker998md

My wife has been daily driving my 66 F100 for the last three weeks because the tranny went out in her car. One day at her work some guy asked who drove the old truck outside and my wife was able to tell him everything that we have done to it in the last few months. She said that his jaw dropped and his eyes got all big and said that he didnt know that any chicks knew stuff about cars anymore.

I went in to get gas one day in the same truck. I went to buy some beer and the lady at the register said thats a nice truck out there. I told her thanks, and she was shocked that it was myne. I told her that here soon ill be painting it and lowering it and she said why would you want to do that. Its a nice red neck truck, I told her that im not a red neck and she looked shocked. I live in a really small town in NC. It was pretty funny.

22. shocker998md

shocker998md

I also made a kids day when I let him get on my 78 Harley. Even let him start it up and rev it. That was a good day.

23. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

My brother liked my coupe so much that he traded his 2002 black corvette convertable for a coupe and he's happy.

24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

One of the first cruise nites I went to, standing by my T , an older man walked up & says, Damn son, that's about as close as you can get to strapping your ass to an engine !!! Still brings a smile when I think about it.

dave

25. I was living in San Diego and one day was in a McDonalds. When I came out there was a note on my window written by a gal (who turned out to be a fox) telling me she really dug my car. She left her name and phone number on the note and this all led to a fairly long and really interesting relationship.

26. I was sitting on this at the last swap meet when a very animated guy walks up and says oh man aint this the coolest ,youve really gone over the top here ,oh its awesome ,want to sell it , oh man ,all your missing is a fold out footrest and a fishbowl with a fish swimming around .

[​IMG]

27. Heres a totally off topic but funny one of my wife. She was driving my old beater 73 3/4 ton white chevy. She called it the beast. It had a set of those stupid truck nuts on it ( another story) Well a guy that has seen me driving it really wanted to know where to get a set and thought he finally caught up to me to aask about them. However when he pulled up and started asking it was the wife and he appearently had some trouble asking where She got her nuts from.

28. I had a lady in her 70s that followed me into a gas station in Redondo Beach. She came up and asked if my car was a 55 Fairlane. I told her it was, and she told me that her first date with her husband was in a 55 fairlane and she was happy that people took the time to keep them running. I love stories like that.

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I was sanding the dash in my '51 F1 earlier this week in my apartment parking lot, and a cute young lady walking two dogs came by. We nodded politely and then she smiled and said "Must be tough restoring an old car without a garage." I said that it was a challenge, then she said "I'll bet, nice car by the way". I didn't have the heart to point out that it was a pickup, but it was really nice of her to comment on that multicolored old beast.

30. CustomDave

CustomDave

My car is sort of OT being a 65 Fury III. I get a lot of the normal cool car and stuff like that, which makes me really happy considering mine is a bit of a beater while I gather parts. But I think the most common one I get is people asking me what year Galaxie it is. It seems that when I tell them it is a Plymouth it sparks more conversation about the car instead of just saying its a 65 or something like that. And I like to tell people what little I have learned about classics so far.
    I Also get a lot of the "whats it got in it" type of questions. When I tell them its a poly 318 many don't know what it is and ask about the engine as well. Talking to fellow car guys is what I love most.