Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Project: 54 Pontiac Chieftain, "Viola"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skankin' Rat Fink, Jul 6, 2010.

1. I like the rear quarters on these.

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  2. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Really cool car. I hope you keep the defining trim on it and if you are going to take any off just take off the little "cluttery" things. I got my pontiac with a shaved hood and actually put the Chrome back on.. without that waterfall of chrome and big indian head guiding your way its just another chevy.. at least thats the case for my 51. I dig the color youre going for, the dark green, mine is actually getting painted a very similar color right now! cant wait to get her back.

oh and also.. i would get some bias ply wide whites ;)

3. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

We definitely think alike ... the only body chrome I'm taking off this car is the quarter panel medallions, the door handles, and the antenna. The stainless strip and the Indian head are here to stay. And bias ply wide whites are definitely in the future ... I can't decide if my next expenditure is the tires or painting the roof.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  4. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Okay, update!!

About a month ago I worked up the courage to take out the front coils and cut them. I'd never done it before. I had to modify the spring compressor I rented from AutoZone with a longer threaded rod to get these tall beasts out of there. It was real slow going with that spring compressor too, so it took me all day.

2011-06-10_15.26.27.jpg

2011-06-10_15.55.34.jpg

No going back now!! :eek:

I didn't post this update on the HAMB sooner because I wanted my car club to see it first ... then I wanted to debut at a show! Anyhow here are the results:

2011-06-13_13.03.02.jpg

2011-06-13_12.50.16.jpg

Anyone reading closely enough will notice that before I dropped the front, I thought the stance was "perfect." Boy, was I wrong, it's so much better now. All I need is another inch in the rear, maybe a little less. Then it'll be perfect.

2011-06-14_17.03.31.jpg

Frame sits about an inch lower than a soda can now. Remember, bags are for groceries!! And rich people who can afford them.

I couldn't be happier with how it came out. Despite some pressure from my contemporaries to heat the coils and be done with it (yikes!) I held out ... I invested some time, cut them properly, and now the car still rides nice.

Here are two photos for comparison: This is the total result of a tire change, fender skirts, drop blocks, and cut coils.

2011-06-13 lowering before and after.jpg

I made my car-show debut at the Rumblers Nomads Rumble in the Country. It was an awesome show, and there was a lot better stuff to look at than my old heap! I was proud just to get Viola out of state for the first time and park it with my car club. :)

2011-07-02_15.25.56.jpg

Don't worry, it was just a root beer. Well, THAT one was. :D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  5. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

I like the Poncho. Cool to keep it as is w/ the chrome. I agree with the guy a few posts ago that it's "just another Chevy" if you strip it all off.

6. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Nice! I really like the way you're taking this car. Keep up the great work.

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  7. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

The stance is nice, but don't cry or get angry at the car when those springs bottom out and lose what height they had. It's just the nature of the beast when you start cutting on something that was never meant to be cut.

For now, enjoy it and hit up a Poncho person later when the funds are available and we'll direct you to a company that can sell you lowering coils.

Glad you've not put that Chief out on the reservation.

For the guy who needs a BOMB lesson, I stole this pic from A32Flathead of another HAMB'rs car, thanx Daves!!

[​IMG]

8. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Why cant I see the second picture? I just see the car without skirts, with blackwalls, and seemingly unlowered.. I like what i hear but cant see it!

9. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

What you're seeing is the before picture. Maybe your computer is having trouble loading too many pictures at once. Click on this link:
    http://i53.tinypic.com/11tr2j5.jpg

10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

ah yes the skirts are a great improvement! now how bout them tires??

11. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

i also think some lake pipes would look swell. those lower the car a lot visually

12. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I like the stance! The Fairlane headlights look good in your photoshoped pic, You should look at the 55 Oldsmobile headlights and photoshop them to see how they look.

13. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Either of the two headlight treatments yours or midwest rodder's would look good. As another possibility '55 chevy? i think what you plan and you've done will reuslt in a real great looking fun ride.

14. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I have a buddy who's taking his lake pipes off soon, so I could get my hands on those for cheap. Whitewall tires are going to have to wait, though. With only a part-time job, this car's giving me enough trouble just keeping the tank full.

15. oldblu65

oldblu65
    from Tennessee

Many years ago , I had the same car except for the paint colors ! Mine was a Cream color on the bottom with a White top . Really wish I still had it today !

16. Irvan

Irvan

my first car when I was 14 back in 1962 was a 54 Pontiac Chieftain, all white (at least where the paint wasn't worn off) and a straight 8 with a 3 speed. I thought it was the neatest car in the world.

17. Ru5tyNut5

Ru5tyNut5

diggin' the Poncho although I'm somewhat partial to them, keep buildin' and she'll be perfect soon enough. here's where my '55 is now, gettin' there one step at a time.
    [​IMG]

18. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Nice '55! The scallops look great. I almost bought a '55 here on the HAMB when I was shopping for my car last year. Oddly enough, I wasn't even looking for a Pontiac ... I just kept coming across Pontiacs that I liked. :D

19. Ru5tyNut5

Ru5tyNut5

I wasn't looking for a Pontiac either but when I came across this one I really had to get it. It was something different and I didn't think I'd ever have to worry about seeing another one, not at any local events anyhow. Keep up the progress on your car, I'll be watching it come along.

20. I got my 54 Chieftain (Maddi) last year. All black and rides like a dream. I am going the bomber route on my build and on my way to finishing. Keeping her black and currently working on the interior of the car this year.

Attached Files:

21. robleticia

robleticia

Man I'm digging the new stance, looks really good!

22. 53catalina

53catalina

heres mine with lake pipes to give an idea. Not as low as yours as i already ground out reversing out of my house as the driveway is on a slope.
    [​IMG]

and with a nice view :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has about 1.5 coils out the front springs, and 5 leafs still in the back. I did remove two others which lowered it a little, and the weight of the Continental kit also pulled it down further.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  23. 73super

73super

Nice Poncho.. love it. Yes, keep that trim. Nice thing is you can drive it and enjoy it as is. You really don't have to do anything to it.. it's already cool.

24. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Wow, I haven't checked in on this thread in a while. Thank you to everyone who shared photos of your cars. I love getting a look at what other people are doing with their old Pontiacs.

I haven't done much since the last time I shared. Just a little maintenance and lots of enjoyable miles. Some of my front wheel bearings were giving me grief for a while. I converted them to tapered roller bearings with a kit from Classic Performance Products. The kit isn't listed for Pontiacs, they sell it for '47-'59 Chevy trucks ... but the bearings are identical. They went in real nice and solved all my problems for cheap.

So anyway, here are some recent photos. Faux-vintage style! Hokey but fun.

First car show of the 2012 season with my girl!

2012-04-01_13.23.56.jpg

2012-04-01_13.26.38.jpg

2012-04-02_18.21.42.jpg

2012-04-02_18.21.31.jpg

2012-04-02_18.30.44.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  25. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

thats a great car to start with!. im building a 54 PONTIAC TOO!

26. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I saw a neighbor throwing out a bunch of carpet recently, so I grabbed a roll of it. After almost two years, I had just about grown tired of naked steel floors up front. Not the greatest carpet in the world, to be sure, but you can't beat the price.

2012-05-23_19.44.17.jpg

27. jhutch713

jhutch713

Diggin that carpet, and loving pontiacs. MMMmmmmm boy. Can't go wrong with a poncho.

28. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

My car usually runs cool, until it idles in hot weather. Then it heads straight for boiling. My water pump bearing got so bad, you could grab the fan and wobble it about an 1/8". Maybe more. So it was time to give the cooling system some attention!

While I had the water pump out, I figured the system could probably use a flush. A really good one. I pulled out all the core plugs on the side of the block ... look what I found in there.

2012-08-03_16.50.55.jpg

This crap was an inch deep in some spots! :eek: It had stopped up the block drain completely. Contributing to the mess was the thick gobs of red silicone goop the P.O. had used to seal the old water pump. I found three big chunks of it in the water jacket.

So the cooling system is done now. Unfortunately I can't yet find out how the car holds up in hot-weather driving. The brakes are giving me trouble again--this time something is leaking fluid.

29. wisconsinjimmy

wisconsinjimmy

Is the cuda a Formula S ???