Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the best reaction you have gotten from people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 8, 2011.

1. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I'm not big on starting pointless threads, but I'm actually curious about this.
    What is the best reaction you have gotten from someone when they've just seen your ride? (good or bad reaction, whichever is your favorite)

The best one I have gotten was with my 55 panel after a long day in the garage of working on it. I had just finished the air ride and it was laid out on the ground. My wife pulls into the driveway with her cousin (it was her first time to our house). Her cousin gets out of the car, gasps, and says "Oh my god! Is it repairable!?" Took me a while to get off the floor because I was laughing pretty hard.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I had a honda head tell me my car was running like shit, even though I told him it was the cam he insisted to tell me I had a misfire. Gave up after about 5 minutes..

Nicholas Coe and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Not long after I got my roadster, I gave a buddy of mine a ride around his neighborhood. We came around a corner, and there was a kid, maybe five or six years old, near the curb in front of a house. He looked at us, and we could read his lips "WOW." I remember it vividly, and my buddy did, too. He eventually ended up with a T-bucket, maybe in part due to the way that kid looked at the "heros" in the roadster.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

I get people following me around and waiting till I park to tell me they had a car just like mine (59 olds flattop) way back when... I say oh yea what year... 65... really, was it an Olds... no... but it was just like that!! :D

LOU WELLS and 3340 like this.

5. Nick

Nick

Two girls flashed me the first time out in my 57 buick.

-Nick

ffr1222k, unfinished, 283john and 2 others like this.
  6. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

two words "how much" heard it once if ive heard it a thousand times, but it never gets old.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ Nick wins...lol.

I always enjoyed the reactions while driving my '51 Buick Roadmaster 2dr hardtop. Quite a car.

I'd be at the gas station checking the oil or somethin' with the hood lifted up sideways of course, and someone would come over and say "What's wrong with your hood?" and/or take a look at the 320 straight eight WALL of a motor and exclaim, "What kind of engine is that?

One time, I was in the city with my buddy. I parked right out front while he ran into the drugstore. A group of older african american fellas came walking by and were practically swooning over the Buick. I enjoyed their enthusiasm. One guy was squatting down, lookin' at the front of the car, saying "Maaaaan!!! Maaaaan!!!"...lol.

Another time, I pulled up to a traffic light right next to a little old lady. She turned and looked at me and smiled...and gave me the thumbs up...lol.

Driving down a side street one day, a bunch of young kids were playing in the front yard. Before I even got very near, I could hear one of the little boys yell, "WOW!!!...LOOK AT THE COOL OLD CAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!" As I passed by, and waved to them...they were jumping up and down and cheering! Lol!

One more. Pulled up to a stop light on a busy 4-lane. A group of teenagers were standing beside the road, saw my Buick, and they all started singing the Happy Days theme song at the top of their lungs. Cracked me up...lol.

My wife still talks about that car. Recently, she said, "When we'd go out in the Buick, I felt like the classiest broad around."

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Went to a Good Guys Show in this...........
    DSC00308.jpg
    The ticket takers said, "You got the best car here!".
    I told him it was just a rust bucket.
    He said, "Yeah, but it's a real Hot Rod!".

9. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

some one asked me if it was a RAT ROD,,,,
    .....,and i said "NO...it is a TRADITIONAL RAT ROD"
    (that was a joke for you dorks that dont get it..hahaha)

10. rottenrods

rottenrods

A 70 year old man telling me that he never thought old trucks were "neat" but he liked mine!

11. 31fordV860

31fordV860

I get that Alot!

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  12. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

One that sticks in my mind is when I swung in to get gas in my '52 one saturday afternoon. I live a couple blocks from "The Oldest Ford Dealership in the World", and usually gas-up at the station across the street from them. Im filling the tank and this gentleman rolls in in an explorer, gets out wearing a suit and tie and asks me about the car. I do the normal routine, "its a 52 etc etc..." Turns out he's the guy who sets up financing or some such thing at said ford dealer. He's handing me a magnet with the Twins schedule on it, telling me to let my friends know about him and I'll get "$50 cash" (even tho he never took down my name, hrm?) and all this crap. Meanwhile, Im feeling just like Toad "LEAVE ME ALONE FOR CHRISSAKES!" :eek:

My favorite reactions are like has been said a few times already though, the kids that stare and the wows when me and the guys are out cruising. Always feels good to at least think the younger croud will keep the hobby alive. :)

13. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

I use to get ALOT of thumbs up from little kids in my Lime green OT Jeep. For some reason kids loved that thing!

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I think we met the same old lady. I pulled up next to this older woman in my hot rod pickup with a 454 and open headers, she looks over gives me the same BIG smile, a thumbs up, then winks at me a few times(creepy, but some guys are into that) Honestly, that light couldn't have changed fast enough at that point. Perhaps the engine was giving her some good vibrations.

About a month ago while walking out to my '53 Desoto from a store there was an older guy with a walker looking at my car. He says "Wow, I know my cars and these were great cars! I had a '55 Chevy just like this." I told him that its not a chevy, its a '53 Desoto, but he insisted that MY car was a chevy "I know my cars, and this IS a chevy"

Later on the same day I had another gentleman walking circles around my car in a parking lot. I came out and he had nothing but good things to say. Unfortunately, all of this assumptions about the car were also wrong. It was allright though, he was willing to learn. Then he looked at the tires and asked "are those Porta-walls?" i said "nope, there the real thing" His eyes lit up and he just said "whoa......" (kinda like Homer Simpson thinking of a doughnut)

priceless

LOU WELLS likes this.
  15. TXMark

TXMark

driving on a Sunday morning my wifes friend in the front, my wife in the back, a guy gives us the thumbs up. My wifes freind said "WoW I guess i still got it!" my wife bust her balloon and said "no the thumbs up was for the car!"

clem, Nicholas Coe and LOU WELLS like this.
  16. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

This is kinda corny, but the first week my car was done, we entered in the local show. As shows go, it's nice, lots of cars, lots of variety, lots of people. I had worked for 6 years to finish the car and really poured on the hours that last few weeks, getting it ready for this weekend. My wife and kid were in the car and we were cruising around, just enjoying the car. To most people, it's nothing big, in fact it's in my avatar and most often gets passed right by, and that's fine, I didn't build it for them, I built it for me. Anyway, we were in the car, loping through town at a crawl and this woman and her hubby/boyfriend/whatever were checking out the cars. He was looking at something else but she stared at my car, mouth hanging open and mouthed the words, "I love your car", slowly and plainly. I know it sounds goofy, but at that moment everything seemed worth it. I'm not the kind of guy who needs someone telling him how great he is to feel validated, and that was a simple moment, but it was neat. It made me happy. It was my best moment with that car.

LOU WELLS and clem like this.
  17. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Just a few days ago while leaving the mall, The car wouldnt start so i gave her a few pumps, and she roared to life, sputtering and blowing smoke and the smell of gas everywhere out the straight pipes. (she gets tempermental in the summer.) anyways, i look over, and see a young "hip" couple in a prius glaring at me. PRICELESS!

18. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

the year was about 1991 or 1992 ,me and my homies were hanging out on the "SHAW"(crenshaw) i was in my convertable 1969 blue VW. some young pretty afrimerican girl walked up to me and said " i can drive stick" after that,it was ON and we wer upstairs in here grandmammas house,,,till they came home from church!. i had to jump out the window and jump into my drop top bug and skeet on out!~

LOU WELLS likes this.
  19. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

This has been many years ago.

My dad is a preacher and owns a 55 chevy gasser. I'm the typical wild child son of a preacher. My dad wanted me to go to a revival and I said " Only if I can drive the 55!" He agreed and I took off. I stopped about a block away and removed the header caps. I pull in to the thing and the 55 is just talking and trying to shake her doors off. I get out and with my tats and all. One of the visiting preacher looks at me then the car then at me again and says " I you don't straighten up you'll go to hell, But atleast you'll go in a nice car"

You should have seen his face when I told him it was my dads car and who he was! I thought his eyes were going to pop out and tongue dry out. lol

LOU WELLS likes this.
  20. Flashed by carload of beautiful women yelling out they Loved my car!

The second show I attended with my fiance "Rosetr" on the HAMB... When a girl and her boyfriend walked up to my car and the girl said that this car was "pure sex" and the pipes looked like a couples legs wrapped around each other in the middle of the passion...!

Rosetr looked at me and said she didn't trust my car at these shows!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  21. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Two weeks ago I was driving up the 101 to Paso Robles with this:
    [​IMG]
    Towing on an open trailer this:
    [​IMG]
    Lot's of thumbs up but three different chicks drove by riding shotgun and had their cell phones out and were snapping pictures as they drove by and then smiled and gave me the thumbs up sign with a head nod. Makes all the hard work seem worthwhile. Funny thing was the guys driving were giving the thumbs up also.

LOU WELLS, dana barlow and wicarnut like this.
  22. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

"Look at that car!!"

LOU WELLS likes this.
  23. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Parked up in a retail park,middle age, grey suited, grey-haired, grey everything business suit comes out of PC World arms loaded with printer paper. Stops by the side of the kripple kart (doesn't see me watching) steps back to get a good view, inspects the red flake, walks away shaking his head and tutting, climbs into his grey Mercedes and drives off. Sometimes it makes me happy when certain types don't like my truck.

Paul

24. big creep

big creep

hahahahahahahahaha this made me laugh!
    <object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N8p2NF0nFyo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N8p2NF0nFyo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

25. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

My son and I were out cruising in my 53 Bel Air and pulled up next to a guy on a Harley with a pretty hot blonde on the back, He looked over and said "Wanna trade?". I nodded towards my son and told the guy "Sure,But you have to make him do his homework!". Ended up having the guy follow me for thirty miles,Pull into my driveway,and made some new friends.

j3harleys, rockable and LOU WELLS like this.
  26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

.010 I think. They were smiling before I saw them. Gary

27. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

I was driving the car in my Avatar and stopped to get gas in Salem, Oregon. A guy about my age comes up and looks at the 292 Chevrolet with a supercharger and says "This car has six cylinders. Is it stock?" I had my wife with me and just wanted to get home. To this day I don't know if that guy really didn't know or if he was screwing with me.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  28. Nothing I have yet found is more rewarding than when members of our Military, in Uniform ask if they can take pictures of your ride. Kinda leaves me a little teary eyed, because I know I couldn't do what I do, if they didn't do what they do. Thanks to all the Men and Women of our Military, AMEN!!!!!!!!!

29. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I was returning from an event and found myself alone at a stoplight on a straight level stretch of Highway 61 which was freshly paved. I dropped the hammer when the light turned green and ran 'er through the gears to about 90 mph. Just as I was lifting I noticed movement on my left, I looked over as a State Trooper pulled along side. I figured I was totally screwed until the Trooper gave me a big thumbs up and mouthed what appeared to be "Fuckin' A!" before he slipped behind me and took the exit for eastbound 494...

rockable and LOU WELLS like this.
  30. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

A few years ago, I'm driving along in my lo-buck, primered roadster and a distinguished and wealthy looking gentleman pulls along next to me in a beautiful new Maserati Quatroporte that probably cost more than ten times what I have in my car. He continues to drive along side for a while, really checking out my car. Then he gives me an appreciative nod and a big thumbs up and continues on his way. It made my day.:)

Another time, some young teenage kids got visibly excited when they saw my car. As I drove by, I heard one of them yell "nice car, old man!" :(

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS likes this.