Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heads up fella's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corncobcoupe, Jul 7, 2011.

1. badshifter

badshifter

2. rusty28a

rusty28a

Sounds good. How about encouraging guys who sell their stuff to delete the ad when sold to avoid the clutter?

3. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

4. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

My only argument to keep old/expired ads is they can be a good resource of information of parts/components/cars and also value/pricing. . .instead of all the "what's it worth?" threads.

5. rld14

rld14

Nice!

I keep a half an eye on the car classifieds, and, TBH, I am a bit leery of some FNG (Even though I am a new guy here) who only posts in the classifieds.

Hell, if nothing else the level of knowledge and the sharing of info that goes on here is just amazing, why would you NOT want to jump on in?

6. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

It's hard to imagine that some one could come on here and not want to read the threads or enjoy the pictures and all the history and stories the H.A.M.B. has to offer. I know I can spend hours on here, laughing at some of the stuff guys post its a good release after long days at work. Keep up the good work guys

7. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That was definitely on my mind when I made a couple of major purchases last year. The other concern I had was the lack of friends & photo albums on these non-alliance profiles.

8. larry k

larry k

":cool:what we have here,is failure to communicate," thanks,, we needed that !

9. I dont understand why it is a problem. The guys are selling stuff to US and (maybe) not going to e-bay first.........isnt that a good thing? Rather now they are just going to clog the main forum with 'more crap' just to get there post count up.

Am i missing something here?

10. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

Also agree that is a great idea. I check and read the HAMB daily, but seldom post, and have purchased some parts and asked for help here. No problems whatsoever! The last time I advertised some Thunderbird parts for sale in Hemmngs Motor News I was overwhelmed with scammers with outrageous deals. Making sure sellers are also active in the forum should help to weed out any scammers. Great call!

11. I'll build the engine for that weed wacker, balanced, blueprinted, stroked, and bored. Maybe even a Sneaky Pete Nitrous system, can you hear me now? :D

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Breakfast......
    Maybe stolen parts for one. RULES.....RULES & RULES.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Pity that they dont use the main board ,Alot of good and great people here.Im on the computer to much here........But Im not complaining ,But Ill also keep an eye on the classified.

14. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The HAMB was never set up to be a classifieds site. Ryan did it to help fellow HAMB'rs sell a car here and there and some parts.
    When a guy is only using the HAMB to sell his parts/cars and nothing else, no contribution to any other section, no interaction, nothing given back to the hobby unless you pay for it meaning you buy his car or part, then he really is here for himself to make a buck and that is it. That's not what the HAMB is all about.

I am serious when I say guys had over 500 posts and not one on any other section except to sell. Is he really here to enjoy the HAMB ? Or just use it to make money ?

It's like a guy coming into your garage and using your tools all the time, just walks in , comes and goes, never saying Hi, seeing what you are doing or projects. Nothing - just comes in , takes your tools, walks out over and over again. Might kind of make you wonder after a while huh ? What's this place for ? Never extending his ideas, ways, creativity with you or for that matter, put it bluntley, NOT THAT IT IS MANDATORY SO DON'T THINK THAT but with a guy that has hundereds and hundreds of posts over a long period of time, sells a bunch or stuff and doesn't spring for a Alliance membership in appreciation for being able to have this great site to meet guys and yes sell, ( Ryan has never said this ) but you get a lot and is it too much to give back a little in appreciation.

An alliance membership is not required to be here, but you know what ? Giving back some to help keep with upkeep, expenses, equipment isn't too much to ask is it ?

Take, take,take and not give back ? It's like the guy you help all the time because you enjoy helping him over and over again and the one time you are in a pinch and need some help and he's nowhere to be found or disappears.

Does this make sense ?

This me talking and not Ryan and truth be known, I donate my time to enjoy this - my way of giving back so to speak. This is fun....suppose to be anyway.
    You'ld be surprized with the private mesages we get that aren't fun, guys who are boozed up and unload on ya that you wonder if they are playing with a loose lug nut or something.
    This is for fun.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  15. Agree 100 percent! When I was a FNG I thought it odd that some guys only posted in the classified and not the main board. Something about that just didn't smell right.

16. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

as new guy,i was worried that if i sold any thing it would raise some eyebrows.:eek:i belong to a honda motorcycle web site & we get guys who use us as Ebay.:mad:i'm far from being a freaken parisite or a flyby night kinda guy,i really have had fun here the month or so that i've been here,
    i think if there was a post minimum count before you could sell or buy,
    it could help.
    i know i'm a newby.but i've ready met some SUPER nice guys here-swapped #'s talked to a couple guys.i plan on staying put.so please forgive me for any dumb a** queastion in the future or any rambling replies =thanks chuck

17. Thanks for the reply, first off!

I see it a little different, I see it as when you go to a swap meet and there is a guy selling old ford a parts but not owning a old ford. I dont care if he has an old ford or not, only the parts he has taken the time to bring and sell, i dont have to buy them but they are there if i want to pay the price.
    I would much rather that than him put them on e-bay!

If there are guys selling shonky parts or ripping people off, then fair enough rid them out.......but I would rather a guy selling parts and thats it, than a guy selling parts and posting 'cool' or some silly remark just to up his post count.

Saying all that, I do see your point and your helping run it, not me. I only see whats on the surface.......so i hope it works the way you plan.

I am not trying to be argumentative or ruffle feathers, just saying how I see it.

The PM crap you stated is just not on, I feel for you!

FUN FUN FUN :)

18. pumpman

pumpman

You're "right on" COB, HAMB is and should always be a multi dimensional forum for the guys who really appreciate the opportunity to participate here, enjoy, share ideas and talk with other guys & gals about our common interests. Great job, thanks!

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

thank you....

20. TxRat

TxRat

Great Idea. I got burnt by a seller on here.

21. Cob,how you guys do what you do amazes me.

I am a moderator on a small one year only site and I have had a few PM's that I wonder what is up with these guys,the magnitude of stuff you guys deal with here on a daily basis goes totally unnoticed by the masses

I applaud all the moderators here,you guys do a fantastic job and go the extra mile to weed out the people that could care less about the Hamb except to enhance their on net worth!

Thanks Man, HRP

22. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

One of those guys immediately came to mind, All he did here was offer high-dollar street rods for sale and keep them bumped all the time. I saw one of his posts where he had bumped his overpriced car 47 times. It was all him bumping, no replys. I looked just now and see he's banned and I say good riddance. Thanks for the great job you mods do for us.

23. Keep 'er clean, guys! Thanks for all the hard work and time.

24. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

HAMB Classified is a dog gone good service.
    And while I'm at it, I was recently thinking how amazing it is to have a site where I can have correspondence with a guy on the other side of the country recreating a historic dragster, have a daily history lesson of Holman & Moody Stroppe, see actual people build hot rods of every description imaginable, research any topic I can think of from MEL engines to Thunderbolts........... all in one sitting whenever I want.
    I have not been able to even think about race cars for over 30 years, but now it's all right here !
    I am slowly catching on to the rules, but thanx HAMB; Tom S. in Tn.

25. Thanks Cob, I know how hard you work at this.

26. Finally! I thought I was the only one noticing this 1 or 2 post FNG. No intro and straight to the ad's.Thats B.S. WEED THEM OUT!

27. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

this place needs a huge LIKE button!!!!! good call indeed!

29. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Great job, I have sold somethings here and bought somethings here and it maybe odd but I only buy from people on here that have made some additional contributions, mainly for my own piece of mind. I figure if you contribute else where on the HAMB you have buy in and the idea of screwing a fellow HAMBer over is way less, but if you are only using the classified and get banned oh well on to the next thing. Thanks again for all the work Cob!

30. glassguy

glassguy

ironically about 7 years ago i joined the hamb just to sell my 32. and i was worse with a computer then! so ryan gave me a password and helped me set up my acct.. was the best selfish thing i ever did. i dont think i have missed a day since!! thanks guys.. dave