Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dave50`s craigslist 32 5w

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dave50, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Dave50

Dave50

Figured i would start a 32 thread now that it is here and i am going through it. A friend found this car on craigslist in Redlands cali.

The previous owners grandson posted it there for his grandfather before they tried ebay. He didn`t post the add right thanks god lol.; The previous owner has owned the car for over 45 years i will be getting more history soon.

He has had the car in his garage for the last 45 years without seeing the light of day covered up, he gave his house to his daughter some years ago as i was told and he moved to another house. He had come over to check on things etc from time to time and he discovered the cover off and the car getting more and more nicks etc so he getting older and not wanting to deal with a hot rod anymore decided to sell, seemed a little disgusted with the daughter piling things on car and nicking it etc.

So a friend in Australia actually sent the craigslist link to my friend in cali who flipped it to me as he was out of town that week. I called the # and talked to a nice lady early one morning :eek: I Didn`t account for the time change as i was so excited about the find :eek:. She got her husband on phone,I asked him about the car he Couldn`t tell me much he said he forgot a lot about it but knew it had a Olds 303 4bbl and a hydro with a shift kit. He said it didn`t run and didn`t want to mess with it. He did put 2 new tubes in the rear tires to get it to roll. Now here is where it gets good so i say i would like to have a friend look at the car and they say fine let us know what works for you and him but we don`t want your motorcycle,boat,motor home,first born or deposit if you like the car its cash or bank check ...:eek::confused: I said that`s not a problem if i like it i have cash! She says great.

My friend goes to look at car on wendsday at 10 am and calls me and says Dave this is one Bitchin` car!!! I have smoked this car over really good this thing is the one man if you dont buy it i`m gonna! (he would have flipped it and made some money) It doesn`t have a patch panel hammer mark or even the rear tail panel hasnt been cut for taillights etc. They chopped it about 4inches and gas welded and appears to have been lead filled! He states the negatives about car etc and i say Ok.

I would like to offer her lets say $1000.00 no i didn`t buy the car for a thousand dollars ;), But i had to make a offer so he says here you talk to her i offer her the 1k she says NO the price is firm, respectively a very nice lady. I say Ok well if its what my friend says i will buy the car, she says well i had a nice young man from so-cal who really wants the car but has money tied in Esqiero sp* and is waiting for his 34 ford to sell in a few weeks at Lars i assume from the info she gave. And he has just had baby and got married and his name is the same as my husbands so i am kinda partial to try and work with him for a few weeks. So I hear my friend say miss dont get emotions mixed up in this it`s all about dead presidents (money) miss I am speechless saying in my head what the hell its right here i am going to give you what you want so i say maam I will give you cash tomorrow and give you 1k more she got dizzy and i hear hear say oh my i have to sit my friend says are you ok she says umm yeah here take the phone he says what did you say to her i tell him he respectively says maam he is serious if you want to sell the car the other guy hasn`t given a deposit etc??

She says I have to wait til my husband gets home and talk to him and i need to call the nice young man as well as i told him i wouldn`t sell the car without letting him have first shot.. I feel like i lost a family member and am weak as hell. So she says tell him i will call him back in a day or so to let him know what we are going to do. Well i am at home drowning in pity and asking god for foregiveness for all the bad i may have done and am falling asleep watching TV its like 1018 pm here I get a call look at number and see their # pop up i am sick to my stomach but answer, Hi Dave this is so an so I talked to my husband and the other party my husband says if he has CASH!! sell him the car! and the other gentlemen said it would be a few more weeks before a deposit or anything could be done and also said if he has cash sell it to him... I am so excited I jump up run outside with phone and start rambling to her idk why??? She then says i have some stipulations though..... ooooookaaaaaaaayy I say she says i need you to wire me this amount to my bank account tomorrow and then we will work out the rest after or next week when you in to LA for LARS so i say ok great, You`ll have it by the time you wake up in am. I call my friend and tell him he said yeah ik she called me and wanted to know some more about you and i told her you where a good guy. I say thanks I don`t know what to say or how to repay you.

So i sit there after i get off phone and say hmm i need to get this over asap so i send her the money and then i next day air her a bank certified check for the balance. She calls me on Friday and says umm Dave your serious i just got your check and the balance I yes i am don`t run away with money though she laughs and faxes me the paper work over. I ask her when my friend can come pick up the car she says well tomorrow i guess if it works for him. I say great it should so he goes and meets the auto club there and gets it to his house and smokes it over again and is still in amazement has a couple friends over and they offer to buy the car for a few bucks more than i paid I say sorry not for sale. Now i have to wait a week to see my car and Didn`t sleep a wink! My friend started throwing in pieces he had lying around and finding deals on the net etc to get some things the car needed. I went to LARS got a 4x2 staggered intake for it right away and a few small things and i finally got it back here on 6-29-11 hope this all post, lots of writing lol i will post more when i can and add on the rest as i can. Let me know what you guys think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wall of text and no photos. Yikes.

Anyway, nice score, I think.

3. Dirty2

Dirty2

4. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

Congratulations, but jeez that was hard to read.

5. dmw56

dmw56

Paragraphs would be nice too!

6. Dave50

Dave50

Here`s some pics and the car that kept mine safe from cali to Arizona that went to Barrett Jackson and sold for 350,000 (Ferrari) lol Look close in pic of inside of roof pic that`s the last active registration the previous owner had 1968!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  7. moter

moter

Cool. What ya give for it?

8. big creep

big creep

x2 this might help?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. Dave50

Dave50

Sorry fixed it guys I have been going through the brakes fuel system, water pump, some wireing and changeing the intake to a 4x2 in pic and a fuel pump. This car is a original survivor of the 50`s from what have been told and will get more history asap its a bitchin car IMO

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, nice score. That was worth the wait.

11. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Very cool five window.

12. rockfish

rockfish

Screw the smart ass English teachers with their hamburger pictorials. Thanks for taking the time to post your story. If some whiner has trouble reading your text let them skip it. You're not selling a book, just telling a story that anyone can access for FREE. So quit bitching. Great story, but more pictures and your plans for the car are needed.

Rockfish

13. big creep

big creep

guess you dont get how we joke around here? guess you didnt see the original post?
    its a sweet score! shit, i wish i would have found it!

14. Dave50

Dave50

LMAO i was thinking the same thing but in some ways there right, so i fixed it the best i know how and i will update more pics when i get them my damn puter guy erased my camera uploading program and i have to find disc now. Thanks for the kuhdos on the find.

15. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

I don't like how you talk about us guys who are seventy .

If it was my car, I could tell you everything down to the number of cotter pins in the steering.

Plus, I know how to write a friggin' paragraph !

Brains trumps money !

16. Dave50

Dave50

seriously??? I didnt mean it in a rude way and you know what take your opinion outta my thread and go put a cotta pin in!!! And put your own thread together, i am not perfect in the grammar department etc and didn`t attend a college to put a paragraph together to suit you!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  17. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Hey Dave,
    Glad you started a separate thread for your new score. As I've said on a couple other threads where you posted pics, Congrats! What a bad ass time capsule! From the new pics you just posted I can see what you mean about the headlight's being brass. One idea would be to paint the headlight buckets the color of the body and run the chrome rings.

It's sure gonna look good after you make minor changes and put the new manifold on.

Bitchin' old hot rod!

-Aaron

18. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

WOW!! Thats so F-in' cool I am excited for you!!! And I don't even know you!!!!

Nice score, Ken

19. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Dave: Love the 303, imo a great motor in the day, can ya post a video of it running when ya fire it up?

20. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Wow, that's a great find. Can't wait to see it come back to life.

21. Dave50

Dave50

THANKS! Aaron I appreciate your kind words and constructive critisizum. Thanks for the idea i like it, I will keep working on it and posting pics for everyone who wishes to see the progress. And yes i think it`s a Bitchin` nostaligic HOT ROD not a street rod... It`s hard to put the whole thing together in the first paragraph and show it unfold at once. Thanks again Hope to meet you @ LARS etc sometime.

Thanks Ken and yes BBay barn I will post a video when i am ready to fire it off for you it makes me happy to enjoy my car with those of you who enjoy it too!! Thanks Flat-foot stay tuned

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  22. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im glad for you and goodluck with it .....................

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

WOW !

Congratulations !,.... I am really happy for you !!!
    (and pretty durn envious :D) Keep us posted on the progress and any history (including possible pictures) that comes up,....

Again CONGRATULATIONS !,... What a great car !

24. JimSwann

JimSwann

25. F&J

F&J

Hey Dave, you going to bring the car out to some rod shows this season? I just have to see that Olds powered coupe. :)

26. rld14

rld14

Talk about a find!

If I were as lucky as you to get my mitts on that.....

Id go through the brakes, the fuel system, fluids, etc... get it running, probably change out the front wheels and get some new tires...

And go drive the living hell out of it!

27. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good for you,did you get the garnish mldgs? cool ride

28. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Ditto on the minor changes....make it safe and fix the tire wheel thing and just drive it...very cool old five winder........oh and I like the new manifold also...congrats

29. Billet

Billet

Good for you Dave. That's a nice car and it sounds like your on your way to having a great car to enjoy! Get back in the garage and send some more pictures as you progress.
    Good luck- Rich

30. gas pumper

gas pumper

Fuck the grammer police.

Great story and a great car. It's a pissa. I might not have spelled that right, being from NJ and educated by union school teachers. But Dave should know what I mean.

Where's the other thread?

Frank