Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A few pics of the Caddy Flathead '32 loadster project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pete, Mar 21, 2011.

1. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

After a second look i saw the TIG torch on the floor...

I try to keep gaps little and even , that helps.

2. 30roadster

30roadster

That is a beautiful project... Really nice work!

3. Pete, are you some kind of masochist? It's like the coupe project all over again! A piece from here, a piece from there....

My project is a similar combo.....322 Lasalle, sideshift gearbox and open banjo rear end.....but my jigsaw puzzle is a 27 roadster body.

4. Pete

Pete

Honestly dude, I would much rather work with original rusted, clapped out metal than this stuff. Do you have any pics of your project??

Pete-

5. I wish I did....it's scattered all over my shed at the moment.

This was the last time I had panels together:

[​IMG]

I'm going for a loose clone of the Don Berg/Bob Wright roadster.

If your roadster is anything like the coupe, it'll be sweet as. I remember when Tony (aka Flash) used to send me a few pics back when I was dealing MagNeto.

What's the intake? Burrell? I've got one on the way out here now stuffed inside a mate's Thunderbird.

6. Pete

Pete

Yes, its a Burell, I ground the letters off and polished that area.

Last night I spent some more time on the pass. quarter, had to move the entire upper wrap around reveal forward about 3/8 of an inch.

Pete-

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  7. Lets see and hear about that other windshield sexy.

8. Pete

Pete

That other windshield is in the scrap pile. It started out as a 48 plymouth closed car pieces, I sectioned, chopped and shortened it, just couldn't get the look I was after. I have another idea but dont want to get caught up in the details right now, just really want to get the car running and driving.

Pete-

9. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

NICE, has an evil look to it already!! Red Baron comes to mind!! mabe its those red fog lights...Really cool!

10. Pete

Pete

Progress is slow but I managed to get a few small things done or partially done. The firewall I used was pretty much beat, had some serious issues and booger welded brackets all over it. I also have a real nice one but since I would have needed to cut it up to clearance the bell-housing and dist I just decided to use this one.

Today I made a quick blister for the distributor. I used an old headlight to make the recess and some flat stock to make the band. Its currently being held in with a few screws but will eventually be riveted it.

I have a shit load of more work to do on the firewall, hopefully this week I can get everything made and tacked into place....we'll see.

Attached Files:

11. Pete

Pete

This is why I don't throw anything away, there's always a use for it.

Pete-

12. lorodz

lorodz

looking good, love the blister idea ....

13. Pete nice work on the blister.By the way would you have a left sub rail for my 32 pick up? thanks george

14. Pete

Pete

Thanks guys.

George....wish I did because Id give it to you...but I dont.

Pete-

15. Nice work and love the flat caddie............

16. Yes you can, part number B-1015-SF, 125$
    Lars

17. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Real COOL man,i really like the dash,i have 2 1932 Rockne coupes...

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looking good pete. nice progress. i'd love to see it in person.

19. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Nice work, Pete! If I get to Fitchburg save me a pair of those flashy gloves, will ya?:D:rolleyes:

20. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

You have all the right ingredients to a perfect roadster! And great ingenuity on the use of a headlight bucket for a firewall blister. Can't wait to see more progress on this.

-Josh

21. Nice job on using the Cadillac motor! Boy, they are a heavy chunk of cast iorn!
    Hope you have one of the Flat Cad "T" shirts that 38 flattie sells.

22. Pete

Pete

A few updates. Had the caddy drive-shaft shortened and a new rear yoke installed, had Mitchel's in Shrewsbury do the work...in fact I have those guys do all my drive-shaft and hub work, they always quote the correct price, save the old parts and do it right the first time.

I had the glass cut and installed for the windshield, mounted the fuel block, voltage reg., coil and got the pedal and linkage worked out. The biggest thing I did was to modify the intake. Its one of the Burrel re-pops, great intake but it only accepts 4 bolt carbs and I didnt want to and didnt want to run adapters. I kinda cheated a little in the process. I removed the bases from the 97's, set them up on the milling machine and slotted the two holes about a 1/16 th of an inch. I had to weld a triangle chunk of aluminum for the 3rd carb stud because there was no material on the manifold...all and all it worked fine and now I can run 3 or 4 bolt carbs. The reason I went through all this trouble was I already had 2 rebuilt 97's ready to go and I just really like the 97's.
    With that said, I got all the linkage made, pedal installed and adjusted,,,,,wont be long now.

Pete-

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Pete your "caahs" are always dialed in. Love the adaptations of 97's on there. They're just familiar and cool right? That's going to be pretty bitchen when it's on the road. Since you're going to be busy with that thing this summer I'll store your '34 in Charlotte hehe!!!

24. Pete

Pete

JJ,

97's are the way to go, you can easily re-jet them and parts are easy to get....+ they look kick ass.

I just installed my new TANKS fuel tank, 16 gallons for those long hauls across the USA.

Pete-

25. that looks good Pete maybe i should put mine in my 32 truck

Attached Files:

26. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

gonna be awesome.hope to see it at the jalopy jamboree.

27. Pete

Pete

George,

Go for it! That would be very cool...

Pete-

P.s.

The roadster will def. be at the Jamboree this year.

28. Pete

Pete

Just a small update with no pics....kinda like a Playboy mag with no ti-ti's...I know.....Ill have a few soon!

I notice the pass. side rear of the car was a bit "off".....kinda sagging and a few key parts were not fitting properly. I ripped the body off, removed the motor and all the running gear, made a template of the frame rails....Found the problem!

When I bought the rails about 9 years ago they had been pinched and what I thought was z'd. Well the pass side had been pie cut and dropped 3/4 of an inch for whatever reason. I had to cut the "V" piece out and bring the rear frame back up to stock position. I didnt really look too hard when I started building the car because I looked at the driver side rail and it looked pretty much untouched....oh well, three steps back, I guess its all part of the game and one of the pitfalls of not having a jig.

The car is back together although I did have to remove the passenger quarter, re-adjust the sub-rail and everything connected to it, it was worth it though because all of the parts fit as they should now.

Pete-

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  29. Good stuff Pete. Always curious about this project.