Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rare Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Your coupe is just as bad as they get.....Love it now and will love it forever.

3. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

If you are going to start tearing parts of the '38 that you feel aren't relevant, you're going to F it up. I've always liked the '38 because it looks the part and has the balls to prove it. Sort of like my '36. The '38 sits right, looks right and sounds right.

4. Ryan,

Read what you had to say. Damned shame you saw that rare coupe in the old mag.

How's it feel to be a misfit. At least I am in good company. ;)

Your old coupe has it in spades friend. Real proud to know a trad rodder that isn't afraid to be himself.

5. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Wow that sounds like where I was with the '32 about 5 years ago....(a street rod that just isn't cutting it as a Hot Rod)....made the jump...haven't regretted it.. but it was no where as cool as your '38 is....so it'll take some balls....all the history aside....my motto is "Life ain't no dress rehearsal"....you get one shot... so do it now and do it right...

6. pcterm2

pcterm2

my humble 2 cents ,leave the car as is and enjoy it

7. rottenrods

rottenrods

It was your first car build,right? I think you will regret changing it later

8. I'm with P n B. My automotive interests are all over the map. My 40 Merc cpe(also rare) was an 90s type street rod when I bought it. I've tried to roll the appearance back a little. It's sure not trad but except for a few visual items (digi dash, mural etc)
    I like it the way it is. I think "screw it" It works for me. I do want to build a more traditional rod (nailhead powered RPU). The HAMB has influenced me in that direction a lot.

Here's a thought. Find another 38 coupe and built it hardcore.

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

a lot of cars go through evolutionary changes. i don't think that's a bad thing. it's happening with my '54 now. nothing wrong with it. i know people are all up in a bunch about changing historical cars and whatnot. and to a certain extent, i agree. a lot of folks are on the it's-only-original-once wagon too. and they also have some good points. but, if you think about your position in the grand scheme of things, what you contribute to a car might be the best thing that happened to it as far as future generations are concerned. so for me, straightening out the sheet metal on the '54 and shaving some things, and giving it a fresh coat of paint, far out weigh the desire to keep the tired, old, rubbed through color.

and for you, magnesium may well win out yet. and your kids might thank you. ;)

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I say change it. Are you the same Ryan you were 18 years ago? Course not. Make your '38 grow and change with you.

Check the box that says "Save old parts". Keep us posted on the build and have fun.

11. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

My 32 Chopped coupe also spans multiple trends, but for a different reason. My father and I spent much of my childhood (read 1980's) gathering parts for the car, but cancer got him in 92 before we could finish it. Enter my father in law, who was a great help to me in finishing the car but wanted more of a traditional look. So, yes, it has 4 bar front and triangulated rear suspension set up (from the 80's), with black primer, flames and american 5 spokes (from the 60's).
    Sure, the thought has crossed my mind to change it, but it reflects the personalitys of my 2 dads, so it stays as is - and it does get driven!

My 2 cents to you Ryan - Drive the 38 as is and enjoy it! If you cannot do that, then tear it down and make it what you want so you can drive it and enjoy it.

12. X2....dont fix what aint broke

13. Have fun changing it and tweaking it. You have been doing that to some extent for 15+ years already. I know you, you are into subtle,sublime menacing black cars. You physically can't build it in a way that it would NOT look like the Cochran 38!

14. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Oh man, A comp inspired 38 coupe with magnesium rims , nasty ohv v8 and jet black paint will be so awesome!! Its the kind of thing that will keep you up at night just thinking about getting back to working on it the next day! You gotta be excited about what your workin on...

I have some questions though Ryan. (i'm just trying to work something out)

Doesnt the fact that you built that car with your friends, and learned so much during the process give it a 'historical significance" far greater than any recreation of another style, (albeit one that is older and more focused than the current set up) because it your PERSONAL history?

If you were the owner of a doane spencer car and the style no longer "spoke to you" or your tastes changed, would you pull it apart and rework it?

If NO, Why is the Doane Spencer style of hotrodding any more valid or worth preserving than yours?

15. If anything...do it in baby steps. Maybe a wheel and tire swap [saving the present ones in the garage] and stand back and look....maybe an interior change [saving the present interior in the garage] and see if you dig it.
    Perhaps even a paint color change to another color offered in '38...a subtle smoky green or tan? stand back and look...
    Just for the record: I saw a dark tan 37 ford coupe in last month's Street Rodder magazine with polished salt-flats and black tires...dumped hard with all the original chrome stuff left on it. That car blew my socks off! I actually thought of your coupe done like that...seriously. I like the subtle colors.

That

16. BCR

BCR

Keep all the parts.

That way when your kids start "restoring" it to put it back exactly as the old man had it when they took their first ride... it won't be such a big job. Ha Ha.

17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I always like your coupe as is Ryan. Its a great looking traditional looking coupe that is fast and dependable. I wouldn't change it. I like it.. Find another one to suit your craving. Ha!!

18. bonesy

bonesy

That front, burn out shot of your coupe got me to the HAMB. (I think I saw the picture and a blurb about it in a magazine.) Moving.

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Life is change....... fight it? You'll only be kiddng time and yourself

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I certainly get where you are coming from. The blackwalls, the new paint and the new interior, working original gauges really rejuvenated my love for my coupe, not that it was ever in doubt. As for my mechanicals, and tilt column, I was in the same boat a couple years ago. I even bought a take off Pete & Jakes front end to build a new frame so it could actually be more traditional rather than the street rod in sheep's clothing (sound familiar?). But the car just wants love and to be driven, so I really hate taking it apart at times. In the end, that front end is going into the sedan delivery, so the coupe will continue on as built. Someday it will get a new frame, but I'm not in any hurry. My disdain for the tilt column was eased by the Juliano's banjo wheel.

I'm with you on the booster. Our 3 window has the booster on the firewall. I hate it! Hopefully someday that can be changed.

I'll throw this out there... I think going to some kind of Halibrand is going to make it look MORE street rod than keeping the steelies. I think I would start with some blackwalls and see how you like them. Then if you do proceed with the mag wheels of some flavor, you'll already have the tires anyway.

Ultimately though, you don't have to apologize for anything on the '38 as it sits. You have 2 other flathead cars, which should be more than enough to revive your self-perceived street cred.

21. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I agree with what several others on here have stated about leaving the '38 as is.

Living in Austin I've been able to see and hear your '38 on several occasions over the past few years. There is nothing to be ashamed about on that car. It's not like it's a pastel colored billet mobile that's in need of some serious updating.

Is it a 100% traditional...no, but it is without a doubt 100% Hot Rod!

22. S.F.

S.F.

wonder if that thing is still around dayton..........

23. donnie

donnie
    from NC

I think it would make a good LSR car! :rolleyes:

24. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I definetly understand the family part. After chopped Hot Rods and custom Mercs
    and about everything else you can imagine I kept the 57 because it was Family.
    It has been a work truck, a transportation veh. It has run mid 11,s and now it's
    a Driver and appears like it was in the 60's. Still big cu in, 10" conv and 355's.
    But it was my Grandfathers too and that's the difference to me.

25. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I totally forgot you still had that car.. hahahaha

26. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Steam from a manhole in downtown Kansas City. Never thought of that looking like a burnout.

I see a huge difference between changing a historic car like the Doane Spencer '32 and a guy refining his own car to suit changing and arguably more educated and focused tastes. This is definitely somewhere in the middle and I dig it. Can't wait to see the progress.

27. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Did the Grapevine look the same way for its whole life? The Hirohata Merc? Watson's 58 T-bird? 'Course not.

Change is good and evolution breeds improvements over time. Do what you feel is right, Ryan. Something tells me you wouldn't have posted all this if you didn't already have a solid plan and a conviction to see it through.

Just throw us a bone once in a while with some update photos, yah?

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

X2

Frank

29. rld14

rld14

I've not yet been lucky enough to see your car in the flesh, but a 37 or a 38 is very high on my list of things to own before I die.

From the pics I love your car, but, TBH, much as encouragement and the opinion of others is worth considering, it's YOUR car and as long as YOU like it, that's all that matters in the world.

30. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Doesn't hurt anything to change things around. Sometimes that's all it takes to fall in love all over again. Since I put the 5 spokes on my car I can't stop looking at it. Also, I'm psyched you used my Bob Hoshiko T-Bird pics. BTW, it didn't come with the Halibrands, Dave added those. ;)