Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Larry, how is your Junior Stock Delivery going? How about some pictures of her? :) Finished or not - I love seeing the 55-57's Jr Stockers whether they are restored/unrestored original racers or a 55-57 that has been made to have the look of one. Shiny or dull, slick or rough, they're all good. :D

Eddie

P.S. Keith, you too!

2. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

What picture is Lew talking about? I thought it was this one which is enlarged over on the modified production page. If your still here Lew let me know and I'll do it for you.

3. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:rolleyes:Should've looked back a few pages....here you go Lew. If you would like it a little larger , just say the word![​IMG]

4. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Steve,
    We need to add Duzac & Peterson, Div 4 Q/S '55 Chevy and Mike Cook, Div 2, '57 Chevy, ex Frank Iaconio and Bobby Dennis car.
    Bob Rice

5. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

6. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks Bob,

I've added them to my master copy ('working list') and I'll be sure to include them in my next edit or repost of The List.

7. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

Ok Eddie. I think I have attached a few pictures. I am not the best with the computer but I can make a 283 run with a set of WCFB's on top. Sepcial Delivery is what I am racing now. Can see it around the North East at Nostolgic drags. 283/270. Doc's Delivery is what it use to look like back in the 60's. The 56 is my next drag car. I want to put the Hydro in it with a single WCFB and a set of 1-1/2" Stahl headers. Got NOS Hurst Hydrogate shifter for it. Just need time to get working on it. If I can find a picture of my 58 Delivery, i will post it also.
    Thanks very much for everything on this site. I love it and try to keep up with everything. larry

Attached Files:

8. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Thanks a bunch for posting the pics Larry!
    Your screen name is very fitting. I love your 57! Looks like an inch or two of air under your front tire! :D What a great picture.
    Your 56 is gonna be awesome when finished....will you be lettering it with a name? Congrats on locating that shifter. Please post more pics of the 56 when she's finished....and yes, do post your 58 Delivery also.:D
    I've checked this thread about 50 times since yesterday when I asked you for pictures and I told my wife I was probably out of line asking.....then tonight I check again for the heck of it and YES!!
    THANK YOU again Larry!

Eddie

9. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Steve,
    Got another one, W.L. Kitchens, Div 2, F/S '68 Camaro.
    Bob Rice

10. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Who is coming to York this weekend?

My wife and I are heading up tomorrow afternoon and will be there for Friday and Saturday. When I am not walking around the show I will be at Dave Bishop's (East Coast Drag News) table.

Below is a list of folks being inducted into the Legion of Honor Friday evening.

Recipients for 2011 are Skip Asay, Sanford, North Carolina; John Troxell, Allentown, Pennsylvania; Alex Jarrell (posthumous) accepted by wife Jeanette Jarrell, Wilmington, Delaware; Jim Beattie, Sr., Gwynn Oak, Maryland; the Musser Brothers ( Ernie & Barry), Mohnton, Pennsylvania; “Dyno” Don Nicholson (posthumous) accepted by Dick Estevez, Clinton, Maryland; Bennett & Sirianni (Carl Bennett & Ron Sirianni), Oakhurst and Wall, New Jersey respectively; Gregory Xakellis, Lititz, Pennsylvania; Roger Sinistri, West Lawn, Pennsylvania; Lee Crupi, Reading, Pennsylvania; Dennis Quitoni, West Hempstead, New York and the Shallcross Brothers, (Tom & Fred), Middletown, Delaware.

11. STEVE, Would be honored to be included on your list. Henry Dana divison 1, see photos on pg.42 post #825 THANKS, Great thread COLSEY !

12. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

I'll probably stop by Friday and grab a few images to post here. By the way ... here's the link -->

http://www.yorknostalgia.com/index_enter.html

[​IMG]

13. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks Henry, I've added your name to my 'master list.' It will appear when I next edit and/or repost The List.

[​IMG]

14. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

Yes we can get about 3" of air under the left front tires with a real hard launch if the air is very good like in October in the North East. Most likely the 56 will have white stripes on the roof but I do not know if I going to letter it up. The 56 is a way nicer car than the 57. The 57 has 40 + years of racing on it and it shows it close up. The 56 has no race history. The 56 I would like to get closer to show car status. My bucket list has getting both cars done and to the track at the same time with my two daughters driving the cars.
    The 58 Delivery was a drag car at one time but I do not know the history. It is a California car you should be able to see the California bumpers on it.
    Sorry it does not look like a Jrs Stock yet but this is also in the future.

Thanks also to Colsey for your reply and this Jr Stock thread.
    I was in love with the Jr Stockers since I first went to the track at age 15 in 1965. I would much rather watch a Jr Stocker go down the track and see the tires plant at the starting line what the cars go through the gears watching the suspension work and listening to the sweet melodious sound coming out of those Stahl headers than watch any Top Fuel car of today.
    Thanks again. Larry

Attached Files:

15. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Larry, your sentiments above are very well put.
    I'm very happy where I live but it would be fun to spend about a month in the north east Div. 1 area to see some of the Junior Stockers like yours and others from this thread at nostalgie drags events and other reunions/gatherings. Seems like most anything Junior Stock related is in the northeast.....go figure.;)
    Your 58 Delivery looks so solid and unmolested. Beautiful to me even just as it sits. Thank you for posting the picture. Concerning the battle scars that your describing on your 57....as cool as that car looks and with its history, it wouldn't bother me at all. :)
    You have some beautiful cars - I bet you got to pinch yourself sometimes just to make sure your not dreaming!

Eddie

16. I'll be at York friday and saturday at the Lyndwood Reunion Display.

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What rear end, gearing, and suspension setup is in "Special Delivery"? Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

We'll see you guys a t York..... looking forward to it !!

19. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Tim - I have planned all year to come over to York, but somethings come up and I cant make the haul. I am reduced to having friday only avail so I am going to go to Good Guys in Columbus on fri. Sorry I will miss the affair. Say hello To Dave (Anderson Olds W-31) and they rest of the 'Hambers" that will be there. I will have it on my calendar again next year.
    Get us some good pix -- especially at Beaver Valley!
    Thanksl
    Tweed

20. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Mako,

Please post the photo's of the 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS 283/220 HP
    The 65' Malibu SS car weighed in at #3124 lbs., and was 62 lbs. heavier
    than the regular Malibu.

The extra weight put it at 14.14 wt/hp.
    In 1965, when the car was new, it was classed in G/Stock

In 1968, it would have been found in the L/Stock class.

And later in life, N/Stock or SS/P.

A very desirable combination in the mid 1970's for SS/P.

pc

21. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

Thanks for the reply Eddie. Yes I feel blessed that I have what I have. I started in 1978 with the 57 and started collecting the period correct parts back then. My intention in 1978 was to recreate a Jr Stocker that I loved to watch when I was a kid. The 56 and 58 are rust free cars with very nice straight bodies. Very hard to find in this condition that have not been molested. I know of another ex Jr Stock 57 Delivery in my area (Law Automotive car) but the guy will not sell it. It just sits in a garage collecting dust. I am sure there are others hiding out there that some guy has not Pro-Streete yet hopefully!! Yes the North East was a haven for these Jr Stockers back in the 60's
    Thanks again Larry

22. DELIVERYSEDANMAN

DELIVERYSEDANMAN
    from Hawhtorne

The car has Stock posi rear 4.88 gears and stock axles. The rear end is set up just like I got the car in 1978. One extra spring on right side. Stock 50/50 shocks. The car has aluminum powerglide nothing trick at all. The converter is a 4500 stahl from Powerglide performance in Florida. I do not know if they are still in business any more. 90/10 shocks up from and stock front suspension. Original correct 2x4 WCFB 270 HP set up.
    Thanks Larry

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Interesting, I have THREE 4.88 Posi third members; one is currently tied up in my nephews (formerly mine) 51 Bus Coupe. I guess I'll be putting one in my 56 Delivery with some after market axles and main cap supports. My street Delivery has SEVEN leafs per side and overload type shocks. Front end really comes up with 7000 RPM power shifts (340 HP 327/Muncie combo). I want to build my dream Psuedo-Junior Stocker with it so I'm working on an "incognito" motor. I also build aluminum Glides; even included one in the sale of my 57 Delivery (Kyle Marshalls car) to Tim P., AKA Junior Stock here on the HAMB. It has a cast iron Glide in it currently, and the Hydro that came with that car was rusted up from sitting for 30 years or so. I guess I should have hung onto the Glide I gave Tim. The other 56 Delivery is probably going to be traded for a repaint on my DD P/U truck, and if not will become a bracket car (cough, cough). I'll see if I can get my daughter to help me post some pics. Butch/56sedandelivery. Well, "she" posted them for me; sorry they BIG.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Hey Butch,
    Very nice 56! The pale yellow(butternut?) with Cragars looks great!

Possibly trading the white 56 in the garage for a paint job on your DD pickup?:eek: ouch! no double ouch!! ....No, don't do it - take out a personal loan for the truck paint job....eat 2 pieces of raisin bread for breakfast and macaroni and cheese for supper everyday to save money to pay off bank note.:D

just kiddin' Butch......;)

Eddie

kpdfv6

25. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Hey All, wanted to stop by and say thanks to everyone involved in the York show and specifically Darwin Doll. I can only imagine how much effort and time has been spent on creating and maintaining such an event for the enjoyment of others. Darwin you are truly a class act, thank you !! Once again ive gotten to meet and talk with guys ive heard so many stories about since ive been a kid, just amazing stuff. Thanks to all with kind words and great memories of my fathers involvement in the sport and his induction yesterday. He was truly honored and appreciative. Roger Jr.

26. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Also a congratulations to Ernie and Barry Musser, Lee Crupi, Skip Asay,John Troxell, Greg X and all the 2011 award recipients...

27. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Yep
    Agree that Henry makes the The List.
    Nice pic,Henry.

28. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Would anyone be able to post a photo or two of the Ol' Reliable #1 recreation at York? I was unable to attend as planned.
    Verne:)

29. biscaynes

biscaynes

30. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here are a few images from the York show.

Alas, these were the only Junior Stock cars I saw that met the HAMB’s stringent era criteria. Those more eagle-eyed of our group will note that (contrary to the decal) the headers on the super-clean all-white 57 F/SA delivery were crafted by someone other than Jere. I spoke briefly with nice-guy Tom McCrea and I’m sure he will have an abundance of better-quality images to share. By the way ... the (61) 'Old Reliable' was still 'under wraps' by the time I departed, but I'll bet Tom got a few images after the 'formal' 3:00 PM 'unveiling.'

Attached Files: