Register now to get rid of these ads!

This is the life we chose!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by finkd, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Drove my 32 sat. and it was 106 but it did not bother me.......you are right people were looking at me in wonder?

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok I'll post a ot comment .delete if needed. Its not only the Kool factor of the car(s) it is participating in the green movement reduce ,reuse and recycle. :D. I rode the 45 to Cassoday ,Ks there were a lot of modern new bikes there with radios ,headsets ,jell seats [my ass got tired ] . People would walk through the sea of bikes then spin around and look at the 45 . I hope it inspired someone to build a Bobber or get their old basket case back on the road. Sorry to highjack .
    Jeff has alot of talent and has been inspirational .

3. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

sweating & dirty after work thats me too !! the ride home is short for me but alot of times i take a detour just to wind a couple gears !!just the other day the nieghbor said he heard me coming a mile away ,i told him it was a 1/4 mile @ 12 flat he just looked at me ,i smiled and went inside to the a/c !!!

4. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

They didn't even have air conditioning in cars in the 50's -- one less thing to worry about...

5. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Lies. My '57 Buick has factory a/c (it doesn't work of course), but it was a factory option, and '57 wasn't the first year for a/c in Buick.

Maybe Chevy's didn't have a/c in the '50s... but at least the luxury-type cars did. :D

I don't care about people having a/c in their cars, particularly if it's a custom. Rods are a little different.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Ah, but you do have air in that hot rod! You just don't have a compressor, condenser, dryer, evaporator and all those pesky hoses and ductwork! :)

7. McPhail

McPhail

8. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

I've always been an advocate of no a/c just my opinion.Besides if you sweat enough and all the windows are down it kinda feels good after awhile.
    Either way driving old cars everyday along with the good and bad truly is a lifestyle choice,and I wouldn't change it for the world.

9. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

In Tulsa in June we had 30 days over 90. So far July has hovered around 100. I freeking love the air in my deuce. I love my heater in the winter time. Call me a puss if you want but, I'm either a cool puss or a warm one. Besides the wife LOVES the air so what makes her happy makes me happy. If you get my drift.

10. Hell I enjoy driving my 55 Caddy with no carpet, holes everywhere and no side glass. Probably why I haven't been in any rush to " finish " it. So I am building a better one now, not gonna chop it yet. Gonna shake it down thoroughly before I blow it apart and give it a haircut and some shiny.

11. RAY With

RAY With

When I was young ,full of piss and vinegar and no sense I drove any thing that would run. Had hotrods all my life and still do but things change a lot with age. A few years ago I worked in the fields on the ranch at 103 temp and never thought any thing about it. Now its a different story at mid 70's age and still got hotrods but added the AC in my traveling rods. I dont need or want power steering or power brakes but the old bones require AC in the summer and a little heat in the winter and I still get hundreds of thumbs up on appearances and thats what its all about isn't it? looking cool and being cool is where it's at for me. Some post above was bitching about horse power loss and my answer is build a bigger motor and you will never know any power loss as you cruise down main st. on a hot sumer night running your AC.

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

how did a post on enjoying the simple things in life turn into an argument for/against a/c in a hot rod?

sallies.

13. pinman 39

pinman 39

No one ever aspired to own a "minivan'

14. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I had a 57 Caddy that had factory air , even had an outlet at your feet under the steering column.
    After a day in the steel mill, first thing that came off for the ride home was my shoes.

15. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

let's hope not... next time I take my 2000 all black, Lincoln Continental out for a ride, I'll leave the air conditioning off in a show of solidarity...

16. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

It is the way of the HAMB!

17. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Well, you see, what happened was... some kids who don't have a/c were wearing it as a badge of honor, staring down their noses at the kids who do have a/c, naturally- a fight broke out between the two parties.

Or at least that's how I took it.

18. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I'm with you! I've got two late models sitting at home, I drove the '40 to work again today. High temp forcasted near 90. If its not raining, I drive my '40 Plymouth Coupe. Cowl vent & wing windows feels pretty good!

19. atomickustom

atomickustom

Ah, see, THERE'S your problem. Give me a couple of those cars (I don't even care which ones!) and then you'll be able to afford some creature comforts in the ones remaining!

20. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

No radio, No AC, No gas gauge, No seatbelts...and I'd still rather drive my 52 than anyhting else. I know exactly what you mean brother, Were fixing to head your way from Dallas for KKOA and the only comforts I need are the sound of the open road !

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Alot of people are envious that we are able to create and build these jalopies regardless of the temperature. Most of the time they feel inadequate around us and our vehicles.
    Be proud!!

22. atomickustom

atomickustom

Holy $#!%, your daily driver has bolt heads where a seat cushion should be!
    That's awesome. Don't change a thing.

23. atomickustom

atomickustom

I believe that was my fault. Sorry.
    I am so heavy into kustoms that I often forget about all the hot rodders.

24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot Rods and Kustoms are as different as night and day. I don't own one but I had a
    couple of friends let me drive theirs the other day. Loud, Hot, Smelly, Rattle'n, Ruff
    Riding, Hangin on too the doors experience. Did I say LOUD? I had a blast and will never
    forget it,,, One of these days, this kat will own a Hot Rod.

Last year when my son and I meet you for lunch, you drove up in your sedan. My Son is
    not a car guy at all but he is still talking about how kool you were. He can't imagine
    driving a car without floor boards. I guess that is my fault, he has been around too many
    Kustoms. LOL!

Happy Trails, Mick

25. fbama73

fbama73

Kinda funny how people will get ragged on for having AC in an old car as not being traditional, but having a '71 Pinto front suspension is OK. :)

I don't want AC, don't need it. Hell, I've used the AC in my OT pickup probably about 20 times in 12 years. But, to me, it's like that Pinto suspension- nothing really wrong with it, and if it makes you roll out the old beast more often, then good for you for having it.

26. I love to drive my hotrods out on a road trip too. Never had one with A/C but I still totally enjoyed the ride. Flip up the cowl vent, open the windshield a bit, angle the vent glasses toward me and drop every window in the car...drive like the wind! At 63 I still love to drive in the heat. Mother nature put it there and man was designed to live in it.
    It'd the damn cold I HATE!

Attached Files:

27. evol55

evol55

I think the movie Cars got a lot of kids into old cars again. Or they like to see different cars that stick out from the norm. It makes me love driving old cars even more.

28. I too enjoy driving my hot rod for every day chores, and I'll take it instead of the airconditioned late model every chance I get. I'm heading out into the summer heat and humidity shortly to get a hair cut. It makes the mundane fun. But as I get older, and having driven my 40 all over the eastern half of the US over the last 30 years, I'm starting to think that installing some AC might be in my future. :eek::)

29. erlomd

erlomd

my wife has the "new" car, i stick to the jalopy...lol

30. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Rocky has it. I love the heat and HATE the cold. I can always find a shade tree but have never seen a heat tree!