Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch rear disc brake installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iamflashman, Mar 11, 2011.

1. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

all the above, 99% of explorers have posi too.

2. iamflashman

iamflashman

The rears actually have the letter L in the tag if they are posi so you can tell before tearing it apart.

You could use a whole 8.8 housing if you wish but a 9" is a stronger rearend.

3. Willy301

Willy301

I did this swap on my '63 Falcon as well.

4. iamflashman

iamflashman

Here is a handy little chart for identifying which 9" rearend style you have:

Attached Files:

5. movingviolation

movingviolation

6. 75BroncoGS

75BroncoGS
    from san diego

Hi to all, I am new member.

I am about to do this explorer rear brake conversion/upgrade to my 75 Bronco. It has a medium duty 9" rear. it is the same size bearings as teh torino/HD but has 3/8" bolts not 1/2".

I bought some spacers from Currie to make up the difference between the drum and disk backing plate.

I do not see a mention of this spacers on your write up (great job BTW) and am wondering do I even need them.:p

7. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

I went easier route with my current swap to 8" out of 74-75 Maverick.
    I ordered a complete MBM Brakes kit from Fabquest. The kit includes three sets of adapters for various flanges and the parking brake cables as well. I mocked it and was surprised that everything fits well. No drilling or welding or cutting. Complete kit was less than $400.00.

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Interesting ... the Explorer rear ends are fairly inexpensive around here :D
    WAY, WAY less than the disc brake conversion kits.

:eek:

9. 75BroncoGS

75BroncoGS
    from san diego

same here in South CAli, about 100 with hoses, e-brake cables, rotors, pads, calipers, bolts, the only thing I needed was to drill for 5 of 5.5 bolt circle.

any know about the currie spacer??:D

10. 75BroncoGS

75BroncoGS
    from san diego

any one, do I need the spacers??

11. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

I have emailed Currie on this issue, I am curious as well.

12. 75BroncoGS

75BroncoGS
    from san diego

I assembled one side and used the spacers, YOU DO NEED them.

I am amazed that no one used them or admitted or knew about this. the rationale is that since the backing plate for the disc brakes if .20" thicker than the drum brakes backing plate, this needs to be made up to properly seat the bearing on the axle tube.

13. iamflashman

iamflashman

It has been a while since I have checked on this. I have to admit, I have been lucky to not need the spacer. The bearings I have been buying were truck bearings (I think they were from 74 ford...) which are different than the torino in that they are slightly thicker. This made up for the difference by shear luck.

I just did another set and ran into this issue because I bought 70 torino bearings this time.

I will try to dig up that part number because it is approx .25" thicker than the torino one and did not require spacers.

Man, blind luck sometimes...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  14. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

I have not had any luck finding Explorer disc brakes at any of the parts yard around here (no problem finding complete 8.8 with the discs for $500 and up).

I have seen Ford Racing kits - M 2300 - anyone know much about these? I've seen there is a G, an M, an S an X and I'm sure there are others, but I'm not sure which would work.

Also, I'm seeing the kit description states
    What exactly does this mean?

15. Redheadedlefty13

Redheadedlefty13
    from Avon, Ohio

i have explorer disk at my shop, anyone do this to a ford 8"

16. oneoff56

oneoff56
    from australia

just a quick question, since you guys are talking about 9" diffs
    i have a 9" out of a 72 f100, 28 spline both axles are the same length but diddn't have a centre when i bought it, anyway put new centre in put, one axle in an bolted up (cool) when i put the left hand side axle in it located in both splines in the centre but the axle bearing is sticking out 15mm or 1/4in. so i pulled the axle out the put a metal pole in the diff to measure it, against the axle an found it to be 15mm or 1/4in long an hits the centre pin in the diff centre, so how can i solve this issue

17. Rem

Rem

15mm is nearer 5/8" than 1/4"?

If your axle shaft is only 1/4" (6.4mm) too long you might have enough spline length to just cut the excess off (assuming you have everything assembled correctly). Been a long time since I used a 9" Ford axle, but I don't think Ford wasted time making the splines 15mm longer than necessary.

By the way, disc braked rears aren't very traditional, are they? :)

18. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Good info in here.
    Does the disc brake setup fit in a 15" rim?
    TP

19. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto # 3,...The 8.8" rear is great, and can be purchased with the hat rotor brakes along with the factory brake cables,....Talk about "made-to-order !!!" Best thing, all the brake parts can be bought anywhere. Mine is from a 2000 2wd Explorer, and I got it for $450.

4TTRUK

20. Rochie

Rochie

Redheadedlefty13
    I did this to an 8in" BUT with 96/02 crown vic rears. You will need a 3in" OD spacer /1/4 in thick to proprly seat the bearing

21. B-Ray

B-Ray

great write up flash!!!

22. rickl

rickl

Yes. I've bolted two different 15" wheels to a 8.8 Explorer rotor/caliper bits.

23. Flashman, Any luck finding the part number for the truck bearings?
    Also my merc Gran markee has one caliper toward the front (drivers side) and one to the rear (passenger side) Is there a caliper to replace the passenger caliper so I can mount it to the rear? This will make emergency brake work better and not have bleed valve at lower point.
    Thank you
    Terry

24. B-Ray

B-Ray

also works on 55-56 wagons with the dana 44

25. Have you installed new bearings? Has the housing been modified?

26. 19Fordy

19Fordy

On the 1995-2000 8.8 Explorer rear, how far "off center" is the pinion?
    I am concerned about the drive shaft angle when viewed from looking down on the rear.

27. 4woody

4woody

I don't recall the exact amount, but it's around 3".

My car is a convertible with a center X member frame, and it was far enough off center that it wouldn't work with that.

28. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

I shortened the 9" housing in my 49 Cad 1/2 " on each side to fit with the skirts on. Then cut 1/2" off the axles and fit with no other problem.

29. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Aren't the crown vics on opposite sides of the axle? or did I just get a bastard axle???

[​IMG]

30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow! that is a lot.