Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1966 F100 "FE" Powered Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TimeWarpF100, Jun 2, 2011.

1. speakfordadead

speakfordadead

At least Spokane is the dry part of the state!!! You've got some serious talent there sir!!! Not bad for a F**d. Just picked up a 67 F100. Gonna replace the power train from the 77 F100 Ranger that was wrecked by the Excavator Mechanic who was checking out the turntable on the Kobelco. OUCH!!! But really.... I'm a GMC fan!!! Can't wait to see the finished product.... I mean like.... WOW!!

2. 390fe bomber

390fe bomber

thas some crazy goodness, truck was pretty clean to start with also

3. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Not only is the workmanship outstanding, but the mix of resto/ modified is PERFECT. Could be the perfect 66!!

4. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I cant seem to find anywhere to get those AIM dropbeams,
    any suggestions?

5. 69F100HDS

69F100HDS
    from Missouri

Very nice! Great truck, great talent, and what a fun project to do!

Couple questions if you don't mind, one is the rims. Love the resto-mod look to those. Who makes those?

Second is who does your plating, both hardware and chromate? I can't seem to find a decent one here in Mid-Missouri and am willing to ship.

Thank you again, for providing the details, the pictures, and most importantly, the inspiration. These trucks are GREAT!

6. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

7. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

TKS! When its wet and or rainy from beginning of October until after July 4th its too much for me! So glad to be out of that mess. Couple months per year is good car weather then it gets HOT too. Very limited days of sun without a heater or A/C needed.

Thanks to ALL!

Its been a dream with a long time coming. Has been engraved in my brain for too many years. Excited to be making progress

Glad you like it! ITs been a fun but very time involved project.

Schott Wheels in California on the wheels. They are Modsport there is also a Modsport K.O. which has a knock off with same wheel.

I have been looking for years thinking of a wheel and when I saw this one I knew instantly it was the one. Took me a bit to realize what was different. The no lug nuts showing really got me along with the wheel design. Ask for David and Schott and tell him I sent you. When the stock steel wheels did not fit for that look these wheels made my day. I am having them made in a larger size because of tires already purchased.

http://schottwheels.com/wheel_detail.cfm?id=8

The plating was done by Novation in Spokane. A absolute wonderful place to deal with. THey also did my chassis and other powdercoating. On time with no price change. Dropped the chassis off on a holiday weekend they promised it possible wednesday. They called on thursday apologizing up and down for being so late! They do not do chrome but about anything else you can think of.

I have dealt with so many hundreds of businesses thru the years and this place is at very top of my list. In the past I have had plating projects that have taken months and months. The plating was done in just a couple days! Incredible quality too. Not much else to say but 200 points of possible 100.

Just tell them Randy sent you!

http://www.novationinc.net/plating.html

8. Cshabang

Cshabang

"Looking good! Do you need any sheet metal?"

To be honest, Im not sure...haha I dont remember! I got the truck, cleaned all the stuff out of it, and moved shortly after and it went into storage when i moved...The truck was taken partially apart, and I havent even gone through what I have...I do know yours is am awesome piece of inspiration!!!!

9. Wow, I opened this thread, to see if there was some good info to pass along to a guy at work. I'm so impressed, what an inspiring, top quality build. Thanks for the quality pics and detailed info.

10. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Thanks for the Comments!

A few more detail pics and a couple minor glitches which is to be expected.
    The time spent to try to do it right the first time so I can turn the key and just drive it is quite an undertaking. Especially in the engine department.

Being my first Genesis engine build I ran into a few snags. One was the engine block and main caps did not have proper radius for bearings to fit. Upon assembly I was able to catch that without damaging any parts.

A pic of Genesis and stock Side oiler together to show how much beefier the Genesis cap is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First up is one of the rod caps (New Rods) had shavings when it was torqued and honed. Of course after removing the shavings the rod was out .0015 and had to be redone. Lucky me was able to catch that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pics show Brg not seated in cap because of missed machine step. THe Genesis blocks need a fair amount of work before usable. Another biggie is the block does not have groove or passage on deck to allow oil to rockers. The gasket must be drilled or the groove/passage cut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next pic I decided to dowel the timing cover to make future work simpler by having the cover centered on seal to prevent leaks down the road. I have not seen anyone else do this. I just used dowel's from a Lemans Rod

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  11. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

more info soon

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Considering the extent that you went doing the body work I wonder if any shop could have done better. I'd say you're waaaayyyy ahead, ... as soon as the feeling comes back in your fingers. :D

13. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

In the middle of moving to another state over next couple weeks. Its gonna take a few trips to get all the "stuff" and vehicles there. Hopefully I can start back on this project very soon. Phoenix or BUST!

Traded off some stuff no longer needed for a Semi & Trailer to make the move a bit easier and to hopefully save a few $$

14. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

excellent truck, cool build and some VERY good photos...

15. Toner283

Toner283

Beautiful build so far, looking forward to more pictures. That is a really nice looking color combination.

16. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Great project!

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a friend here in Oregon who bought a 66 short wide brand new. He ordered and installed a 427 medium riser within about a year. He still has the truck today. I have been looking out the windshield of a 65 F100 for 38 years and 275,000 miles. What a thorough and meticulous restoration you are doing! Can't wait to see it complete.

18. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Man,you do not mess around restoring an old Ford truck! LOVE the build up man bravo!

19. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Would love to see pics of both trucks! This has been a 40+ year dream for me

Thanks All!

A quick update: I am now all moved to Phx area. After having a price quote of 30k plus to move all my stuff I ended up trading stuff no longer needed for this semi. At just under 80,000 lbs it was quite the load the Jake brake was working overtime on the large down hills. The Air RIde suspension kept the load in tact. Total cash out of pocket was 1500.00 for setup and another 1000.00 in fuel.

Also had to rent a 26' Penske and use of my 26' enclosed car hauler to get this project here.

Have not found a house to buy but found a temporary rental which I cannot move into until the 8th of this month. 2 days ago it was 118 deg here. Hopefully will be able to get the project truck from trailer in a week or so. The semi will just sit at a friends house until I can purchase a place with room. Room at rental but doubtful it will fit thru gate. Currently staying with friends until I can get into the rental. VERY TOUGH market to buy in right now many homes are going for well over asking price just like before the boom a few years ago. Banks are good at playing games...

Getting very anxious to get back on this project!

In order to work in this Furnace will need a portable A/C unit. The nice workshop days are over for a extended time frame. Very little for homes with shops on the market and if so are gone within days.

Moving Truck I bought~Traded to make the move back to phoenix. I sold the tractor and still have the trailer for storage.

I was able to fit 2 of my 1966 Trucks in trailer along with household and shop stuff. This 427 Project truck went by itself in the car hauler.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  20. I feel for ya... Not many things I hate worse than moving.

Look forward to seeing the project get restarted once you get settled in.

They make some nice port a coolers for the lovely desert work shops. We have about 10-15 of the big ones at work. They do a great job of cooling a large areas like our maintenance bays. But they do it at the expense of moisture. Where AC is mostly a dry cool air, the big evap coolers add moisture to the air while cooling it.

Some of the guys from the Phoenix area can chime in and speak to the good or bad of having them. Our weather is close here, but Phoenix is hotter. :D

21. billylo

billylo

Awesome thread just found it. Keep it up.

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Holy Smokes... your a Renaissance Man!
    Incredible work!!

23. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Nice work, wow!

24. Wow! Very interesting. Good job. That stuff should be hung in a gallery. ;-)

25. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Thanks All!

Hoping I can find a place to buy here soon. Move into temporary place on friday. Looking at a couple places tomorrow that have existing shops. Getting antsy to get back on this project!

Looked at a couple portable air conditioners today also but was very disappointed in the outlet air temp.

Looked at

http://www.movincool.com/

Input air temp at 89deg and output at 80deg. Flat out poor cooling! Unit I was wanting to buy was the Classic 40.

Have owned swamp coolers in the past in AZ and they work ok when weather is dry but now that its monsoon season all they do is create more humidity and make things rust.

Major DUST storm rolled thru today and what a mess it made...

26. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Today is Move in to a temporary rental house. Has attached 3 car garage.

Had engineer from MovinCool call to explain portable A/C unit output etc.
    Seems the so called hardly used unit at Atlas was more than slightly used.
    The were not honest about the intake temp.

Hopefully I can find some type of temporary cooling device so I can work on the truck. More updates soon. This is only the 2nd time in my life where I have not had some type of garage to work in.

27. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Un-figgin-believable! I'm definitely subscribed!

28. fergus

fergus
    from Nor Cal

Wow. Its gonna be better than new. WAaaaay better than new.

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I hear ya, it ain't any fun. I'm doing my '51 F1 in my apartment parking lot. Gotta take a whole different approach. Looking forward to seeing more progress on your fantastic build.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011