Register now to get rid of these ads!

no wheel posi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33hardluck, Jul 4, 2011.

1. 33hardluck

33hardluck
    from iowa

just put new clutches in my nine inch that resides in my 39 after all was said and done when the brakes are applied the drive shaft continues to rotate witch is why i reuilt in the first place do i have weak springs or need more shims? just want to drive my ride!!!!

2. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

Are you saying that the driveshaft continues to turn with the wheels stopped?

3. squirrel

squirrel

huh? sounds like you might have 28 spline axles and 31 spline side gears? or something strange going on with the splines

4. 33hardluck

33hardluck
    from iowa

yes drive shaft spins while wheels are stopped it is a 31 spline axel and carrier could pass side axel be to short as i have never had rearend up and runnin

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You would be the one to know. Does axel turn freely after it was assembled?

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There is usually about a 4 inch difference in axle length side to side. Are yours the same? It doesn't sound like the posi is the fault

7. 33hardluck

33hardluck
    from iowa

no everthing seems to be in order truck on stands and both wheels spin but when breaks applied pinion continues to spin when in park driver side locked but with some effort the pass side can be moved

8. I gotta stop drinking ... I am positive I am missing something here (and I don't mean just my pants).

9. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

Sounds like it doesn't have any spider gears in it.

10. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

How about an introduction and some interpunction? ;)

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I think we have an X File on are hands. JK. What trans do you have ?

12. "pinion continues to spin when in park" OR "when breaks applied pinion continues to spin"

Not trying to be the grammar Police but periods (as in "starting and stopping a sentence") would help. These two little quotes from your post don't seem to be making a lot of sense.

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That would be insain. But then again I scratched my head for 2hrs on my first tune up. Engine would not start, I forgot to put rotor in :eek::eek::D

14. 33hardluck

33hardluck
    from iowa

sorry about my grammer. when the breaks are applied the pinion continues to spin. tranny works fine. spider gears are all intact. leaning towards spring preasure on the clutch plates.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Missing ring gear? :confused:. You know it's the 4th of july and not April 1st.

16. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

I can't see how clutch plates could keep BOTH wheels from spinning when the driveshaft continues to do so. Even with clutches, at least one wheel is absolutely mechanically linked via ring and pinion (if everything is in order, of course). There must be a mechanical problem of some kind. Axle splines are not right size/ or stripped, or the ring and pinion are stripped, or the pinion shaft is broken. All the clutches do is keep both wheels spinning as close to the same speed as possible.

17. 33hardluck

33hardluck
    from iowa

i would agree. just dosent make sense to me. guess ill tear down again and have another look with a six pack.

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'm sure the six pack will help...:D

19. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

Check for the spider gears.

If the block and springs are installed between the side gears but no spiders, the friction of the of the clutches will cause the case and side gears to turn together until there is enough force to overcome the friction. At that point the ring gear and case will continue to be turned by the pinion but the side gears and axles will stop turning.

20. Something is missing as in parts out of that set up,
    or something is completely worn as in no splines
    or wrong splines .

I wouldn't think the friction clutches have much if anything to do with it at all

21. badshifter

badshifter

Are we fixing a brake problem or a rear end problem? On my car, if I hit the brakes and the rear wheels kept turning I would work on the brakes, not the posi unit. FNG's..... And go post an intro and give us either more details, or less details. I don't know which.

22. Why would you think brakes badshifter?

23. How were you able to get new clutches without the springs? I would imagine if you bought a rebuild kit it would have everything new.
    Was the car driving before this problem developed?

24. badshifter

badshifter

Hell! I guess cause I'm sober!
    I read this part:"everthing seems to be in order truck on stands and both wheels spin but when breaks applied pinion continues to spin when in park driver side locked but with some effort the pass side can be move"

Forget the posi for a sec. If you had an open rear, and only one brake worked, the other wheel and the drive shaft would still spin. So, I'm still trying to figure out if he has a brake problem, a posi problem, both or why I got into this mess.

Somewhere in here he said that with the brakes pressed, he can still turn one wheel. That sounds like a brake problem!

This is me checking out.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Posi or no it should lock everything up when you apply the brakes. I'd be pulling the right axle and seeing what is going on with it and go from there.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No he said that the driveshaft and pinion turn with the brakes applied. Then he said that with the trans in park the drivers side wheel was locked tight while with some effort the passenger side hub/wheel would turn by hand.

Axle or rear end problem and not a brake problem.
    I'm with the others in that either something isn't right as far as the passenger side axle goes or that there are missing parts in the rear end it's self. I'm leaning towards the axle being the issue especially since the vehicle has never been run with this rear end in it.

27. 33hardluck

33hardluck
    from iowa

well, after further inspection i have come to the conclusion that the driver side axel shaft is 3/4 inch to short. there are two sets of splines that must be aligned. measured with third member in and only engages first spline. splines look ok, so does everthing else. this is the only thing i can come across. narrowed prior to my purchse but has never seen pavement. hoping this is the solution. thanks for feedeback. time for beer.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  28. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” Albert Einstein

29. squirrel

squirrel

That would do it. One set of splines is in the side gear, the other is in the posi clutch hub. If the axle is not engaging the side gear, then the pinion can turn if both wheels are locked, because all that's holding it is the clutch pack.

I kind of figured it was a spline problem with the axles not properly engaging all the splines in the differential.

30. clays diff

clays diff

i have seen this problem before one thing to check is see if the wheel bearing did not come unseated and the lock ring did not slide off a half inch every thing will work fine but the axel wont go all the way in to the second set of splines

Clay >>>>>>>>>>>