Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. havi

havi

Can anybody share pics of Larry Moran's, or Carl Murphy's Tasca Ford prototype clones? Thanks.

2. havi

havi

Those are the ones, thanks! (I saw them in the latest Fairlaner mag)

3. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

Yesterday at my wife's 50th high school reunion, I was talking cars with one of her classmates. He said he was at one time a partner in a speed shop in South Carolina, and they sponsored a Thunderbolt. It was red, with "Louie's Speed Shop" lettered on the sides. He said he could only remember the driver's first name, Jerry. Ran it in the SC, GA, TN, and FLA area. Is this car already known and documented? He didn't know the production number. It was originally a stick, they converted it to automatic.

John

4. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

5. FEDER

FEDER

Had an FE party last week . How cool is it to have this in yer shop. This is one Beautifully restored T BOLT. Owner said it lived a real tough racing career. It had an altered wheelbase and straight axle at one time. Really a stunning car,with a NASTY 427.
    FEDER

Attached Files:

6. Falconred

Falconred

Here's a couple of odd shots from several years ago. The last shot is from the white car.

Attached Files:

7. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

8. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

We've seen the clones...now for pictures of the real '62 and '63 Tasca T-Bolts. Even though these pics are black/white, the '63 was Peacock Blue which actually has a green look.

'62 powered by 406
    [​IMG]

'63 powered by 427
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  9. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Where these Tasca cars T-10's ? Too early to be C-6's weren't they ?

How many horsepower were 2X4 406's ?

The hoods look different than any others also. These look like med-risers with stock underhood bracing and no opening for air.
    Why were the hi-beams blacked out on the 63' ?

These 2 were /FX prototypes where the idea for the DST Thunderbolt program to compete as stockers originally came from ? Am I understanding correctly?
    Tom S.

10. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Answers......

4-spd would have been a T-10 since the Top loader was not introduced until 1964. C-6 came out in 1966. Not sure if these cars were 4-spd or automatic. Anyone?

2X4 406 was used in the 10 A/FX Galaxies built in late '62. No horsepower rating given for A/FX since they were classed cubic inch to weight.

The '62 Tasca T-Bolt had a Thunderbird scoop grafted to the stock hood. Med-risers did not come out till 1965. The hood on the '63 Tasca T-Bolt was made to clear the hi-riser 427 installed in the car.

The original '63 did not have the headlights blacked out as seen in the picture taken at the 1963 Indy Nationals.

The 1964 DST Thunderbolt program came about from the prototype Tasca cars.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  11. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

There is a good article on the DST built 62 Fairlane in Mar 63 Custom Rodder. Both of these cars were built at Andy Hotton's Dearborn Steel Tubing Co by Jim Hammer Mason and his crew. The Bopper was connected with Frank Zimmerman Jr., Iacocca, et al ... and wound up with the cars. If you ever asked the late Hammer about BT, he would of given you an earful in no "uncertain" terms.

Before the 62, DST built a 60 Comet with a 352 and alum T-10. There were also a 60 Falcon with a 312 and allegedly another with a 430. I asked Dean McCann, who worked at Ford and also moonlighted at DST with Hotton where the idea of the Thunderbolt came from, he said it goes back to the "Fordillac", that is the idea of transplanting a large displacement V8 into a standard sized car.

According to the article the 62 had an MX auto installed later on. On the 63 the ram air was through the grill. If you look at photos, you can see how the grill matrix was bent horizontally to improve air flow. In addition, the 63 car design and development credit goes to Project Engineer Vern Tinsler and Dan Jones. Vern told me he worked with John Hollowell of Hollowell Engineering and did layouts and detail drawings before constructing the 1963 prototype Fairlane. I suspect that is why the 1964 cars wound up with a glass front bumper based on a 1963 not 1964 Fairlane. Likewise, the fiberglass doors are based on 1963 not 1964 doors. Also the DSO Thunderbolt parts list all have 65 not 62 body code part numbers, even though the 1964 cars are model 62 (Sedan) not model 65 (Hardtop).

There are a couple stories why the 63 was a HT and the 64 Sedans. One was the order form was incorrectly filled out for the 1964's, and the other was the 2 Dr Sedan had better weight distribution. I guess the real answer has been lost to time.

Not all of the 62 Ltwts ran 8V induction, as two cars, the Bill Waters Ford-Ronda and the Ed Martin Ford-Ritchey cars ran SS/S class. They were all steel lightweights with bench seats. The other eight cars ran A or B/FX class.

The dark blue Stark Hickey car did not go to the Summer Nationals as it was way too illegal for class. Dan Jones indicated this to me. The frame top was all cut out and solid body mounts replaced the rubber ones. He didn't think that frame ever left Ford and he is right.

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Dennis is like that old E.F. HUTTON commercial......When he speaks we all stop and listen! Thanks for the cool history lesson on these cars. Dennis, I've been hearing some SERIOUS talk of a certain T bolt from the Indy area getting restored! YES!

13. breezeway

breezeway

Hi, I had to rub my eye's. Your Fairlane looks exactly like mine. Color,patina,everything. I've been driving mine as T-bolt for a few years now. Can I have your e-mail address?
    Greg.

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Breezway, tommyd or Dennis K?

15. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Let me make sure I understand correctly:
    The 2X4 406 in the 62' pictured was a low riser and never a FMC option ? Medium risers did not come out until 65' ?
    Was 63' the first year for high riser option ?

Also, I am amazed. T'Bolts were in the parts book ! ?
    #2595; " Also the DSO Thunderbolt parts list all have 65 not 62 body code part numbers, even though the 1964 cars are model 62 (Sedan) not model 65 (Hardtop). "
    Did long traction bar rear axle, carb plenum, glass and plexi body parts, ad infinitum etc.... all have FMC part #'s assigned to them ! ?
    Tom S. in Tn.

16. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

As on any Ford that was built on Domestic Special Order (DSO), a Special Parts List was supplied with every vehicle. Long bars were an afterthought, however the "as delivered" Housing Assy - Rear Axle with the track bars was C4OA-4010-A. The plenum? (airbox) was C4OA-9C651-A. Fender Assy - Front R/L C4OA-16005/6-A. Glass - Back Window C4OA-6542006-A, etc ... . Everything is there.

Regards,
    Dennis

17. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I'll be darned......... I would have never even guessed this !
    Thanx Dennis; Tom S.

18. bubba22349

bubba22349

"There is a good article on the DST built 62 Fairlane in Mar 63 Custom Rodder. Both of these cars were built at Andy Hotton's Dearborn Steel Tubing Co by Jim Hammer Mason and his crew. The Bopper was connected with Frank Zimmerman Jr., Iacocca, et al ... and wound up with the cars. If you ever asked the late Hammer about BT, he would of given you an earful in no "uncertain" terms.

Before the 62, DST built a 60 Comet with a 352 and alum T-10. There were also a 60 Falcon with a 312 and allegedly another with a 430. I asked Dean McCann, who worked at Ford and also moonlighted at DST with Hotton where the idea of the Thunderbolt came from, he said it goes back to the "Fordillac", that is the idea of transplanting a large displacement V8 into a standard sized car.

According to the article the 62 had an MX auto installed later on. On the 63 the ram air was through the grill. If you look at photos, you can see how the grill matrix was bent horizontally to improve air flow. In addition, the 63 car design and development credit goes to Project Engineer Vern Tinsler and Dan Jones. Vern told me he worked with John Hollowell of Hollowell Engineering and did layouts and detail drawings before constructing the 1963 prototype Fairlane. I suspect that is why the 1964 cars wound up with a glass front bumper based on a 1963 not 1964 Fairlane. Likewise, the fiberglass doors are based on 1963 not 1964 doors. Also the DSO Thunderbolt parts list all have 65 not 62 body code part numbers, even though the 1964 cars are model 62 (Sedan) not model 65 (Hardtop).

There are a couple stories why the 63 was a HT and the 64 Sedans. One was the order form was incorrectly filled out for the 1964's, and the other was the 2 Dr Sedan had better weight distribution. I guess the real answer has been lost to time.

Not all of the 62 Ltwts ran 8V induction, as two cars, the Bill Waters Ford-Ronda and the Ed Martin Ford-Ritchey cars ran SS/S class. They were all steel lightweights with bench seats. The other eight cars ran A or B/FX class.

The dark blue Stark Hickey car did not go to the Summer Nationals as it was way too illegal for class. Dan Jones indicated this to me. The frame top was all cut out and solid body mounts replaced the rubber ones. He didn't think that frame ever left Ford and he is right.

Regards,
    Dennis "

Has any one found any Pictures of those above early cars? Have also been looking for that " Mar 63 Custom Rodder" art. so far no luck.

Thank you, Robert

19. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I'd like a look at that article, or any others as well.
    Thanx; Tom S. in Tn.

20. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

From Maple Grove this past weekend.

[​IMG]

21. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

22. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Here's a picture of the Doenges Ford Thunderbolt I found hanging on the wall of a friends garage.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  23. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

I'm new here Dennis so bear with me please. I'm extremely interested in all info regarding the Collins Motor Sales car from Ogdensburg, NY owned by Morris Lee. You see, I was told by the guy I bought my T-Bolt from that he found the car disassembled in a farmers field in Ogdensburg. Collins Ford doesn't exist anymore but I might be able to track down Morris Lee. Any info on this car would be appreciated. My car was an automatic. I sold the car to a guy named George Lopez in Clay, NY back in 1974.

Attached Files:

24. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

This was the car that John Paradise from Super Ford Magazine owned and used to do the series of restoration articles back in the early 80's. It was pretty much put back to "as delivered" condition with an HX automatic, etc ... .

John eventually sold the car and it changed hands numerous times after that. The last I knew the car was on the East coast.

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  25. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Thanks Dennis. Could you contact me directly about the history of my car? I've discovered most of the details but there are some that you may be able to help me with. My email is: [email protected]

Thanks, Len

26. Hey Lenny,

I am not sure, but this looks a lot like your car minus the wheel wells opened up?

Attached Files:

27. Hey guys, where can I get a few of these decals? :)

Attached Files:

28. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

It sure does, but its not. The dash and steering column on my former car were painted blue up until the time Randy restored it.

29. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Got one on my back window and I have an extra.:)

30. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Why is the 427 flag/bird emblem in front of the front wheel openings on the blue car pictured here?
    I thought on Fairlanes they were always behind the wheel opening.
    Tom S. in Tn.