Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gambled on a Hudson Today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Jul 2, 2011.

1. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

2. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

3. Adam, the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club Nationals is in Oklahoma City from July 19 - 22, so it is coming up very soon. This is a Tuesday through Friday event!!! NO weekend! Come on down, I've got some Hudson stuff I'm looking to sell, and they DO have a great swap meet at the Nationals.

4. Kerry67

Kerry67

You CAN'T go wrong with a Hudson....

~Kerry Hudson~

5. 100% Matt

100% Matt

You got yourself a fairly rare car. A brougham (2 door long roof). It was a 262 Straight 6 car. Your car has the upgraded commodore steering wheel. If you have two glove compartments one on the drivers side as well as the passenger side the car is a Commodore Super Six. The commodore wheel could be an add on to the Super Six platform as well. Check out my gallery to see my Dad's 49 Brougham

6. Normbc9

Normbc9

I used to mechanic for a guy who raced these Hudson's on oval tracks. It flew too! Even when the V-8's started showing up he'd still get a Trophy. He's get them in the corners. That Hudson 307 with the factory dual carbs and the cam were tough to beat on a track with corners. The Montana Highway patrol used these in the mountains. It was their theory that if the bad guy went too fast he'd roll his car on a curve and this one wouldn't do that. Nice find and yes there are some parts still available out there. Good luck!
    Normbc9

7. adamshumard

adamshumard

The kind of sad thing is even though I really wanted a hudson, I probably wont do any work to it for a few years as it has a few further along projects in front of it. But i have a nice cozy garage it can stay in till the time comes. Just couldnt pass it up at the price. I figure I'll clean it up and inventory what I have. I can search for the missing parts over the next few years. I have a feeling the back glass may be a hard item to find.

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If all else fails in finding a back glass (you should be able to find one eventually) you could graft in a similar back glass and surround out of something else.

....are you sure the guy didnt at least have the back glass stashed away somewhere safe, and maybe just forgot to tell you about it?

9. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

Some vandals just broke the back glass out of my 54 brougham last week, and I was able to find one on the Hudson forum for $100 (delivered to the national meet in OKC). You should have no problem finding what you need.

10. Hey Adam, nice score. Check Miller Motors on Cross Street in Ypsilanti Michigan as they are a working Hudson dealer still to this day. My hometown so I do know its there

11. Ramblur

Ramblur

Great score! Love the Broughams. Guessing yours is a super 6/8 with a
    Commodore wheel. Commodore was the top trim package and got a
    chrome steering column.

[​IMG]

12. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

cool deal,i'm a proud ower of a 49,there's some great hudson guys on here.hit my signature to see mine,or my first post

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

14. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

You done real good.... !
    $500 today won't buy crap, much less a non rusted gem like that..
    Great find..
    Keep us in the pictures as you re do it.
    Cheers..................

15. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

love the hudson. nothing wrong with having to store it for a while. might just do something now and then to keep interest up. but i wouldn't have much trouble with your car! i think those long roof broughams look the best so you really scored. if i ever buy one for a pretty penny some day it would be one of those. i already have a twin h 308 for it.

16. A man-sized Merc !!!

17. Sold my '49 Super Six coupe for $2250; it had the glass and a nice interior, but had some rust in the usual places - the unibody rails where they kick up ahead of the rear axle and the left frame just ahead of the bumper bracket are the #1 places. Sometimes the outer front floorpan, but they repro that. And the rear quarter over the wheel opening. The entire quarter unbolts, though, so it's not too terrible to repair them.

Just track down a 48-48 4dr for a parts car and it should give you everything you need to complete it. They can be had, although not as easily as they used to.

18. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

You done good! Beautiful machine, like said that roofline is the best part of the car, much better than a coupe. It's a leadsled coming of the production line. Have fun restoring / kustomizing it!

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I think your $500 is safe, even if you were to flip it or part it. RE the GLASS question: Mine was a '50 Super 6 sedan, same glass as the earlier step-downs. When I went looking for replacement SIDE glass, I got them from a '54 Hornet. They're all flat, so I'd think you're very safe as long as you stay in the same series. (The Pacemaker was, I think, on a shorter wheelbase, so there might be a diff there. But if you're swapping senior Hudson to senior Hudson, etc., I think you'd be fine).

If in doubt, just make a paper pattern to the window frame; that way, you'll know before you even turn a screw.

Windshields and rear windscreens did change from '48 to '54 (two-piece to one-piece; size on the back glass). So those are a tad trickier, but not much. Again, paper template would tell the tale, provided you can find a donor car somewhere! Almost harder than kaisers, nowadays!

Best of luck! Hudsons ROCK.

20. adamshumard

adamshumard

THIS JUST IN!

I pulled everything out of the car today and laid it out to see what I have. Looks like most everything is there.

Cool Accessories:
    Visor
    Rear Window Louvers
    Kleenex Dispenser
    Side Window Visors
    Bomb? Hood Ornament

Needed Parts:
    One Headlight Bezel (present but damaged badly)
    Trunk Latch/Tag Light Assembly
    Rear Glass
    Windsheild
    One Quarter Glass and Window Channel
    Radio
    One Door Ashtray
    One Hubcap
    One Motor/Tranny
    One Marker Light Lense
    Radiator
    Dash Trim Above Radio

I have a whole pile of "Whats-It" Parts that I still need to find a home.

All and All I feel good about what all turned out to be there. So I guess the search begins.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The search is half the fun!

22. I've got the hubcap, the headlight bezel, and maybe the ashtray. Just need a pic of the hubcap you have, as I have close to a hundred various Hudson hubcaps and wheelcovers

23. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I have a lot of this stuff too.. Including a 262 Straight 6 engine and 3 speed transmission. Ill touch base with my Dad when he gets back from vacation.

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Get with Chris Blattie on here..Look him up in the HAMB-O-Dex,,he does flat glass cutting..real reasonable and ships to all the states as far as i know

25. studhud

studhud

Thanks for the compliment! On your brougham I would consider changing the back glass and the opening to a 53/54 back glass on your car with the sail panels they look to big just my opinion. I will be out at salina kkoa again this year look me up if your going I'll be chopping a car again this year I think? Or pm me glad to help with your car.
    Dave Hitch
    FBBF

26. adamshumard

adamshumard

This cap

[​IMG]

Anyone who has parts feel free to pm me with what you have and what you want for them.

Also I have updated my parts needed list.

27. adamshumard

adamshumard

Whats the value of the different accessories I have? Some I plan to use some I don't.

28. Got several. I have a radiator from a '53 Wasp that came from a 262/3-speed car that is in pretty nice condition, too. PM me with your email address and I'll shoot some pics and prices out to you.

29. hudson48

hudson48

My bucket list includes a trip to Ypsilanti in my Hudson one day.There is also another Hudson museum in Shipshewana that I would like to go to and not that far from Ypsilanti.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  30. adamshumard

adamshumard

hudson48 - that's amazing...