Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Kent Fuller Top Fueler Recreated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by riceman, Apr 22, 2011.

1. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Here's some kodaks to review....

Fuel Tank is in with proper spring straps!
    [​IMG]

Front wheels are on and look just perfect!
    [​IMG]

Back half is complete and ready for Dzus Tabs.... Lots of them....
    [​IMG]

RiceMan tries it out and get's fitted for the LOUD PEDAL!!!
    [​IMG]

One little, Two Little, Three little Dzus tabs....
    [​IMG]

28 Dzus tabs later it's time for the rear wheels....
    [​IMG]

Then it's time for HEMI shit and a look at the overall project!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the MAD FABRICATORS....... Dr. Lee and Grasshopper.... Happy as can be!
    [​IMG]

Good times..... What a great project!

Thanks,

Robbie

2. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

OH Man!!!! Tuff!! Kent Fuller Top Fueler Recreated OR How To Build A Cackle Car in 60 Days. Looks great guys. I need to go to Cali on vacation soon and meet you guys.

And RiceMan, where does a guy get a shirt like that.? KING

3. sololobo

sololobo

I remember this iconic bad ass in the day, it was awe inspiring. The avatar picture is typical of how this car looked in action, a ball of fire smokin thru the 1/4. This is a cool deal, two is better than one, in most cases!! ~sololobo~

4. riceman

riceman

The chassis is a Roller. Std 1320 member , Robbie Morris III did a fine Tig welding job, and we both learned alot. Next up at Robbie's is the start of the Beebe Bros. & Sixt Fueler.

Next up on my "To Do List' is to get the brake system done and working.

Happy father's day to all the DADS !

Attached Files:

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

WOW!! They don't get any prettier than this! Every detail of this car it what FEDs are all about.

6. riceman

riceman

More photos of "Shorty"

Attached Files:

7. riceman

riceman

I am trying to keep the build as correct as possible with keeping in mind that UPDATEs were done like dics brakes instead instead of drum brakes which Kent Fuller said he changed on the car sometime in 1964. Thanks for your comments.

8. riceman

riceman

Like Steve Gibbs said, Sid Masters and Rick Richter were the "OLD GUYS" back in the early 1960s. They worked together, they played together and their families were there at the Drag Races.

I talked with Rick and Dora Richter's youngest daughter, Sheila yesterday for a loooonnnggg time on the phone and exchange of many emails. The Recreation has relit the friendships between the two families and 3 generations. Family FUN and history in their lives.

Here is a picture of the whole TEAM from Sheila. Sid's son(RIP) Ken and daughter Jennie are MIA. Taken at Fremont Drag Strip, early 1963

Left to right, Will and Joann Richter (y dad's brother & wife), Edna & Sid Masters, Bob Haines, the Richter family (Dora, Sheila, Rick, Betty), Beverly & John ("Lefty") Hayes. Lefty was "the pit crew".

THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT !<META content=on http-equiv=x-dns-prefetch-control>

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  9. riceman

riceman

TOO COOL, thank you Robbie Morris III http://youtu.be/3e60mEeEa2Q I just finished talking to Edna Masters, Sid's wife. Still pretty sharp for 93 and stills loves NITRO !

10. jipp

jipp

this is gonna be a hoot. cant wait to hear her fire up!!

11. riceman

riceman

August 26, 1964 Kim Parker was born and Rick & Dora Lee Richter became Grand Parents. Sid Master and Rick Richter were racing families and that is what these two families did on the weekends for over a decade.
    I have talked to 4 generations from each family and the 5th generation of the Masters is here, but can't talk or walk yet. Recreating the Masters & Richter Special is relighting the friendships they had in the past.

Attached Files:

12. Wow! Very cool! Don't know how I missed this one until now. Good job Riceman.

13. 296ardun

296ardun

This is an amazing build, not only the recreation (which is flawless!!!) but also the remembrance of Masters and Richter....Steve was right, they were getting along in years when they raced top fuel......I have been wondering if they were the same Masters & Richter who raced an early '50s Olds at Santa Ana -- back then the class was "post-war" or " heavy gas" ... they were mentioned several times in Drag News, wonder if they moved later to San Leandro?

14. riceman

riceman

They did race a Olds gasser before stepping up to Top Fuel.

15. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

I love 'chute packs. They always look fast!

16. riceman

riceman

Woody yells, " HEY SHORTY" ! '' Look who is talking with a SHORT FUSE ", replied Fuller.

Attached Files:

17. sololobo

sololobo

Wow, one of the most beatiful rails ever, and ran like a banshee! Thanx for sharing bro. ~sololobo~

18. seatex

seatex

That chute pack is the most beautiful FED body ever, IMHO..................... looks fantastic. Cant wait to see it finished.

19. riceman

riceman

Now comes what is call the 10,000 5 Minute Jobs List that always takes longer. these are checked off.
    1) Fittings for the Moon Fuel Tank
    2,3) Make and form the Hard Brake Lines, flare the lines for fittings.
    4,5,6) Make the Two Side Panels under the motor, and mount them with Dzus Fasteners

<META content=on http-equiv=x-dns-prefetch-control>

Attached Files:

20. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

unbelievable workmanship. Nice all around.

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

22. riceman

riceman

Well I have been at it hard and I would have the side panels and cowl done, but 'OUT OF STOCK' on aluminum sheet. Poster board patterns were made. Cut & fit, Cut & fit, Cut & fit, Cut & fit, etc. 12 hrs of this.

I trimmed the Motorplate and I went to use my belt sander and that broke a rod. I hand filed all the cut edges smooth and radius the top.

The first picture I removed the tape lines with some computor magic and radius was added to the windscreen base. I also change the brake lines, mucho bettero, but my camera ran out of battery so no picture. <META content=on http-equiv=x-dns-prefetch-control>

Attached Files:

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

can't wait to see it, Roger...you da man!

24. riceman

riceman

The aluminum body is roughed out. Some fine tuning and it is there. Add the windscreen and then the seat has to be made. I bleed on it, worked up a good sweat hammering out the cowl windscreen lip, but I'll survive.

The windscreen edge radius was slap hammered over a 10 dia. x 3/8 thick x 4 ft. cardbord shipping tube and sand mallet. The cowl shaping was also done with this BIG tube. The body material is .050'' 3003-H14 aluminum sheet and is known for it's formability. Love it.

After yesterdays action pack metal forming, I took it it easy, but still made a mess. I cleaned up the hi/lo spots on the windscreen radius with my senior hammering knowledge. Fingers or bandaids not included. I also trimmed the lip that goes over the motorplate and formed ( HAMMER AGAIN ) it over the edge to seal the driver's compartment. A good tight fit and no gaps.

I made the Windscreen pattern today. Stainless steel 10-32 button head Allen screws and 1/2 height nyloc nuts will secure it inplace. The final shape is done and will be made from 1/8 Clear Plexiglass. Maybe a red plexiglass one too for fun. What do you think with a Yellow body, Howard decals and a clear red windscreen ? MMMMMMM?

Attached Files:

25. riceman

riceman

6-28-11,Today History was made and plays a BIG part of this recreation of the Masters & Richter Special. Rick Richter's two daughters, Betty and Shelia came over to view and touch apart of their lives for the first time.

We sat in my kitchen and looked at the scrapbook Betty bought of the Mom and Dad. Good stuff ! The I presented to Betty and Shelia the Model I built of the M & R Special.

Betty wanted to touch and see The Fueler first. LOL. Her wish was granted. I opened the garage and out it rolled to smiles. I just stood back and watched. I could feel the memories come alive with tears of JOY !

I started to describe all the details to them and what was to come. Paint color and other details were discussed. The first paint job of yellow with a white cowl section will be on the recreated Fueler.

The recreation of the M & R Special has taken both families by storm. I got this feeling that Sid Masters, Rick and Dora Lee Richter are over looking at us as we had to roll the Fueler back in the garages as Angel Tears started to fall outside.

Thank you for coming over Betty and Shelia.

Attached Files:

26. av8

av8

Great build and great thread, Riceman. Fuller is a special pal as well as my shop landlord/partner. I count myself as one of the luckiest gearheads ever for my current situation. In addition to having the run of the shop and all the equipment, I have a controlled, secure room for my porting work. But best of all is Fuller's friendship in which we explore ideas and projects even to the tune of massaging metal as we examine 'what if.' Not a day goes by that there isn't a new scheme hatched worthy of exploration.

Keep up the good work, Riceman.

Mike

27. Roger (riceman) -

Your M & R Special recreation is really looking great!

I meant to thank you earlier for sharing the "Richter family photos" that you received from Shelia ... too C:cool::cool:L!

Equally cool is the fact that Betty & Shelia got to meet "Shorty"! ... and it speaks volumes about your character that you presented them with the model you built of their father's racecar!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  28. riceman

riceman

Betty and Shelia are Rick Richter's two daughters. Sorry for the confusion.

29. D'oh! ... I guess I was thinking they look to young to be Rich Richter's "daughters" ... so I inadvertently typed "granddaughter" & "grandfather's racecar" :eek:

30. riceman

riceman

<HR class="messageHeaderDivider colorK2" noShade _no_widget="true">
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript defer charset=utf-8>var YAHOO = {'Shortcuts' : {}};if (typeof YAHOO == "undefined") { var YAHOO = {};}YAHOO.Shortcuts = YAHOO.Shortcuts || {};YAHOO.Shortcuts.doUlt = false;YAHOO.Shortcuts.location = "us";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_id = 0;YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_type = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_title = "M & R Body Adjustments";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_publish_date = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_author = "[email protected]";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_url = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_tags = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_language = "english";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_numTokens = "329";YAHOO.Shortcuts.abtCategories = [ [540, "1116000_Automotive/Parts", 0.613071], [17, "1106000_Automotive", 0.513131], [34, "1047500_Arts and Entertainment/Books/Fiction", 0.428571], [247, "1650000_Health and Wellness/Beauty Supplies and Services/Hair Care", 0.311881] ];YAHOO.Shortcuts.version = "3.0.0";YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSet = {};YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSetID = "a43823ba908b46a3d75815f9f5a403f8";</SCRIPT><META content=off http-equiv=x-dns-prefetch-control><STYLE type=text/css><!--DIV {margin:0px;}--></STYLE><LINK rel=stylesheet type=text/css href="http://d.yimg.com/jq/css/cs_3.7.2.css" media=all>Too HOT in my garage at Noon. 90+ degrees, but I got done what I had planned.

1) Installed the breather tubes in the Blowby Tank. The Breathers were found at Kragens.

2) I made the correct shaped Windscreen and mounted it to the cowl.

3) I removed the rear slicks and drew a line along the bottom edge of the cowl as it sat and removed it. Trimmed 1'' off the front and 2 1/8'' off the rear just to the top of the exsisting Dzus fastener holes.

4)The side panels had too much overlap under the cowl and was keeping it up too high. I trimmed the side panels down so they would have only 1'' of overlap area.

5) The Cowl bottom edges had to be recontoured and clamped in position. The cowl now sits 2'' lower at the back and the height looks alot better. I drilled and formed the Dzus button holes. I bolted the cowl in place with 3/8 countersunk Allen bolts and wing nuts for fast removal at the rear.

6) The front Dzus button holes, steering cross shaft cutout and motorplate lip of the cowl had to be adjusted for fit. The bottom edge overlap fits tight now.

7) The tail section top edge contour now had to match the rear cowl top edge and flow altogether. I taped off a cut line on both side and cut off the uneeded material. A little cleanup filing and done.

8) Going by the reference pictures I used, the results look good. As in modeling, each part that reflects an object and assembly has to be correct or the final results will not have the RIGHT LOOK.

Attached Files: