Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opening a Time Capsule

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ANDY M, Mar 8, 2009.

1. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

any updates on this car ? just currious if its almost a driver

3. dirty4

dirty4

wow! I bet the body shop guy musta shit his pants when he saw that!....he owes you big time for that find!

4. 91Bear

91Bear
    from Boerne, TX

Hmmm...you don't put a SBC in a Ford. :(

5. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

gads got on this thread and then realized it was from 2009, went to the end and found I had to start reading it all over again. HA HA, great drama, one side bitch slappin , the other tryin to keep it open to find out the story! Good thing ol' Dave didnt just shut it down. I missed this when it came out in '09, so it was interesting to say the least. Well 'ol man Ed was in his 20,s when the Duece was parked, and I had just gotten my Deuce 2dr around that time [my avatar]. It may have been too much for him to finish and he just wanted to hang onto it for 'someday'. The Olds engine was pretty new then, and it was a top engine to swap in a rod. A 3 window was pretty rare even back then, and i guess it was in pretty fair condition. Not many of us swapped out the drivetrains in those days. but after awhile it became popular as the stack of ford trans in the backyards were piling up. I remember the first time seeing a stock 32' Ford and thought it was kinda homely car, I was used to seeing em all fixed up, there was one in town. Good story and as far as SBC putting one in my deuce will be like 1956 all over again. [was one of about 3 in town]

6. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

new pictures?

7. Just got caught up here.
    Lots of drama which is kinda sad, and as for the SBC, well check your history guys. Its all hot rodding, but ill draw the line at that Mustang front end.
    Still, its a real steel deuce, and they aint exactly everywhere. I guess those haters here can always wait untill it may come up for sale, buy it, and change it to their idea of what a hot rod is.

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I'd never buy one.;)

9. Wow great story I will follow this post

10. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Sorry but no Camaro or "muscle car" will ever be considered a hot rod. You are on a traditional hot rod website. Hot rods are those pre early 60's and the building of them, traditionally, is done by what was used and done back in the day. late 60's, 70's and 80's cars are not hot rods and they never will be. they are what they are.

Im happy the car was rescued and got the chance to be rebuilt....just wish people did their research on how these cars SHOULD be built.

11. ANDY M

ANDY M

Folks, I'm back with an update that's been a long time coming. Who would have thought that a little thing called "The Great Rescission" could slow down a little project like this.

[​IMG]

After a serious conversation with Matt, here's the deal: If there is anything that displeases you about what he is doing the HIS CAR, you have 2 choices.

Choice number 1. Send Matt the amount of $$$ that you would estimate it would cost to make the alteration. He will consider the offer based on how much money you send.:rolleyes:

Choice number 2. If you can't say something nice, SHUT THE FUCK UP!:mad:

More pictures and story will be posted later.

12. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

13. johnboy13

johnboy13

It amazes me how many folks on here get their drawers in a bunch over talk. Then the update is posted and SURPRISE, a really nice looking SBC and no IFS. All the drama for nothing. Relax guys n gals, life's way too complicated as it is.

14. badshifter

badshifter

Follow Hot Rod history much?
    Not to mention this whole thread is 2 years old.....

15. chopperfugger

chopperfugger
    from austin

I would like to say something nice.

Very nice.

16. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Seriously, would people rather see it (or not see it) rotting away in some barn until it turns to dust or gets bulldozed over or sold for scrap?

17. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

I read this whole thing and it looks like A: a deuce 3w was saved, B: an ass ton of work went into it as seen in the last pic, C: I see a dropped axle and what would have gone into it in 1959 for a motor. I like it. Thanks for posting andy. And we should thanks Dave for having the stones (maybe not brains) to go through with it and see it through as he is. Although shame on the 4 link!:D

18. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Ding! Ding! We have a winner. Key words, HIS CAR. Looks good, thanks for the pics.

19. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Nah, I'd rather tell you how you're doing it wrong.
    Problem is, the car looks much better than what you were describing. I don't see a MustangII, I see a drop axle. You were painting a pretty ugly picture, but it looks like it's being done right.:D

20. Colville

Colville

21. ANDY M

ANDY M

OK Time to get back to the story. As some of you have noticed, this project is a labor of love. IF Matt were getting paid by the hour, he would be like "Lake Michigan" underwater. This car was a real basket case.
    Matt's goal here is to have a stock body '32 with a modern driveline that will cruise anywhere whit no worries. When finished, it will be triple black with tan accents in the cab. Running on the middle carb on the open road, it should get great gas mileage.
    Now, back to the pictures.

[​IMG]

Looks like 95k original miles on the odometer.

22. ANDY M

ANDY M

I was painting an ugly picture? I'm just trying to tell this story as best as I can. I can take the abuse, but please, please, remember that this is NOT my car. All I did was call a couple of guys I know who were capable of pulling this thing off. How many "project" cars remain unfinished because the owner bit off more than he (or she), could do?

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

After seriously considering where you are posting, you would have one choice. :eek::D

Looks like it's going down a better path than was said.

24. ANDY M

ANDY M

The front end of the car seems to be of particular interest to some folks, so here is what the finished car will be equipped with.

[​IMG]

All four wheels will have Willwood disc brakes.

[​IMG]

Billet aluminum front steering setup.

25. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Andy, another thank you for posting the story and all the pics. Bitchin Camaro too...

26. ANDY M

ANDY M

The rust repair is making Matt do some serious fabrication work. Since there are no aftermarket inner fender wells being made for a 3 window, and the 5 window coupe ones don't work because of the rumble seat not being there, here is where the fun begins.

[​IMG]

Matt with what was left of the original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I have a question. What brought you to the HAMB with this? I think the reason you're catching shit for it is that it seems to be going more of a street rod direction in some ways. And that's not really what this place is about. In terms that may make more sense it's like talking Mustangs on a Camaro site.:rolleyes:

The story of saving it really cool. Just wish it was going down more of a traditional path.

And you started using that word... billet. :eek:

28. So glad i found this thread. Amazing. Cant wait to see this thing finished. +1 on you being a stand up dude. Way to not try and make a buck or anything. You did what you did for the sake of the car...

29. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

car looks good , what a person does with their car is their buisness , stfu is an improper response , im just here for the cars , haters , need not apply ,

30. wally55

wally55

That is awsome keep us posted!!