Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

^^I don't see anything.

2. I think it's fixed.
    Can you see it now?

how 'bout this?
    0 93 1.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  3. Makes me want to get on my '48. Great thread

4. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Good Work LowKat! Keep it up.

5. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I can know and it looks awesome!!:D

6. That front shot with the white walls reminded me of something, my old '51. Deja vu all over again. I guess that's why I voted almond.
    Digging this thread.

Attached Files:

7. Man--what a great budget build! I pretty much dig everything you've done with it.

8. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

OK - So here's the plan - I fly you from your place to my place - Provide room and food - You work your magic on my 48 F1 Panel - I fly you back home - You write up another truely inspiring HAMB Post - Deal?

9. That is a great looking '48! I love the color schemes and the work done. Looks like a fun ride.

10. Sounds like a plan.
    What's Erie PA like in the summer?
    Kinda hard to beat Oregon summers.

Well...what's on the menu? how cold is the beer?
    Are any bikini clad female assistants involved?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Last night I started assembling the front sheet metal. What a biotch!
    (sorry no photos, I'll shoot some tonight)

Forgot the gravel pan below the grill was thrased.
    Had to bang it back in shape and give it a rattle-can rebuild.

Thought I'd show another swap meet score I'm using:

0 102 1.jpg

Yea, I know these lights are for 53-up trucks but the price was right and I like the bigger size than the original style. (the truck didn't come with any)

I have the housings for both pair.
    Bought the pair on the right first for $5 pr. (one chipped lens)
    Went 2 spaces over and found the pair on the left for $5 pr.

2nd pair came with chrome brackets and 2 bulb housings.
    Double bulbs make the turn signals much easier to hook up.

Can't wait for the long weekend, I should get plenty done.....
    Maybe it'll move under it's own power for the first time in 29 years.

11. 0 103 1.jpg

12. That's a good thing cuz I'm gettin' tired.........

I fought with the hood for a while after closing it the first time. The pin went to far into the latch and got stuck. Had to get a few ratchet extensions and remove the nut on the hood pin from below.

2011 06 30 grill 08.JPG

13. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

Looking good - did you have to do any work on those lower front fenders? They look pretty cherry from the picture above...

14. csimonds

csimonds

WOW this is a great thread! I'm hooked!
    Chuck

15. Everything looks better in pictures.

I didn't do much to the lowers, in pretty good shape. They do have a little rust that was previously repaired where they meet the gravel pan under the grill.

I'll be on the hunt for some better back fenders. The running boards had been welded to them. They're rusty and full of Bondo on the vertical portion near the tailgate where they meet the bed. I'll probably slap more Bondo on them for now.

16. remember, this truck is more 'classic' style than hot rod...

1949 Ford shoebox glass hood ornament
    I like the ornament but not sure I like it on the truck.

0 109 1.jpg

Opinions?
    Also have stainless trim that would work for the hood windsplit behind the ornament

0 109 2.jpg

17. Twelvizm

Twelvizm

Oregonian killing it!

18. Zumo

Zumo

You know, the paint in a rattle cans now days may be the same or better quality that the factory paint was in 1948. Just a thought. Looks great btw.

19. I ground off plenty of factory paint which comes off pretty easy but the primer under it is another story. I think it's Kryptonite based.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  20. atch

atch

not a fan of the car hood ornament.

great thread, though. i've been following it since the beginning.

i took the letters off of the panel right under the front of my hood many (20 or so) years ago with the thought that i'd weld up the holes. so far i've never gotten around to it. i like the idea of cleaning up the pitted letters and painting them. now if only i can find the bag with those letters in it...

21. I have pitted extras free if you need 'em^^^^^^^^^^^^

22. atch

atch

thanx. let me look around the shop this weekend. if i can't find them i'll take you up on that very generous offer.

23. Last night, I went out to the garage and when opening the overhead door noticed the upper part of the grill looked crooked. (you can sorta see it in the previous grill photo)

So last night was spent pulling the header panel and slotting the holes. Reinstalled and it still looked crooked. Turns out the top grill bar was also drooping.

Used a floor jack with a 2X4 extension and jacked the grill bar into the proper position. All is good now.

Also pulled out the electric buffer, rubbing compound and put some shine on the passenger door. Looks like what paint is left will buff out well.

2011 07 19 running boards 1.JPG

Tonight's plan...
    Clean-up and rattle can rebuild the radiator. Install radiator, shroud, hoses and heater control valve.

If I finish that, I'll work on finishing the headlight / turn signal wiring up front. I'm going to use an 8-wire flat trailer wiring connector at the radiator bulkhead so the lights can be unplugged in case I ever want to pull the front clip again.

24. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

Looking good. Really like what you are doing with the old truck. Glad you scrapped the idea of the Chev mill for it.

25. Thanks for the commets and welcome to the HAMB!

I noticed this was your 1st post. Not that it matters to me but the HAMB rules state, post an introduction as your 1st post. Some of the old timers around here will get their panties in a knot and cause you grief. Follow the link below.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

By the way, the F100 in you avatar looks very nice, post some pictures. There's a good thread on here called "Good or bad let us see pictures of your F1 or F100!!!!". You'll fit right in.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317676&highlight

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  26. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I wonder if there's a way to take the glass in the hood ornament and 'bind' it together, and yet shatter the tempered glass that makes up the center of the ornament?

I think that'd look pretty cool, and the 'shattered' looking glass would reflect the light like a prism. I don't know how to do it, but that might make the difference.

27. Originally I was thinking green or blue glass but I had the clear stuff at hand.

I'm still not sure if I'm using the ornament.

28. Giovanni

Giovanni

I think the hood ornament is too big. But it might just be the shot. Tough to tell without seeing the whole truck in the photo. A shorter piece of glass might look better if you really like the look. Really nice build.

29. I'm going to wait until the truck is done and get it outside to decide on the ornament, I have enough other stuff to do. Thanks for your opinion.

Today I started to install the radiator and fan shroud but figured out the shroud is for a V8 and won't fit. Gonna have to cut on it some tomorrow. Then install hoses and heater control valve.

0 122 1.jpg

Got all the wiring done except the taillights and front turn signals. I used the factory turn signal lights as park lights.

I'm going to use these for turn signals. Fog lights off of a 60's Mercedes. They'll probably mount above and behind the bumper. I need to get the bumper figured out first. It's from a 48-52 Chevy PU.

0 122 2.jpg

0 122 3.jpg

30. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Looking good.