Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 drag truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mat Thrasher, Jun 5, 2009.

1. 65 impala

65 impala

looking and sounding bad ass matt

2. Sebastian.A.G

Sebastian.A.G
    from argentina

killer sound! congrats

3. Commer

Commer

Gooood job, Matt.
    Toni

4. Nasty truck Mat,you sure gonna have some fun in that.

5. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks again for all the positive comments. I dropped the truck off at my buddy's last night. We're going to work on the tune first thing Saturday morning. I'm getting really close to the first drive!!

6. Bitch'n! I'm happy for ya.

7. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

8. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Well here it is, the video of the first drive!! I trailered the truck over to my good friends house last wednesday. We did a bunch of work on the carbs on Saturday and a couple of late nights this week. The man is a genius!! The truck idles about a 1000 RPM now. We still have a little more messing with the setup but it's very close.

I got a bunch of little things to address but it went down the road. I'm going to fix a leak in my tranny cooler lines and check over everything again,then drive it home tomorrow or saturday. Wish me luck!!

9. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Nice ... folks across the street from you must love your antics!! Hopefully it's family.

Ratty 46

10. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Nice job,that's a bad-ass little truck!

11. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

bad ass,love to see a plan come together.....:D

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh yeah! The youngster in the third video said it all; "Finally!". That truck sounds sweet!

13. farmer12

farmer12

Sounding awesome, great work!

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Only just found this thread buts its a great one.

15. vendetta

vendetta

thats one grumpy soundin truck.sweet!!!you gotta be happy with that.great work!!!

16. 20th Century Chevy

20th Century Chevy

What a way to start the morning by seeing your videos.......Awesome!!!!

17. HotRod33

HotRod33

The truck sounds great and it has no problems spinning the tires.... COOL

18. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

19. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Ohhhhhhhhhh, sweet success!!! You meant HAMB Drags this year right?

20. I love it when a plan comes together.... (insert evil laugh here)

Diggin' it!!! congrats man

21. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I was at my buddy's house. His neighbors love it. He works on a ton of cars out of his shop and he tests his customers cars all the time. The road looks like a dragstrip in front of his house.

That pretty much sums it up. Thanks Mike

You 100% right, when I was on the gas it felt like I was sitting on ice. I glanced at the tach and it was at 6000 right now!! I haven't drove anything fast for a few years. It's going to take some getting used to.:)

Damn, I wish!! The bank account is a little low right now. I'm going to try like hell for next year tough.

It was really surreal. There was so many things going through my head. It took awhile for everything to sink in. What a great feeling and thanks again to everybody for the positive comments.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  22. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

Awesome! Now I have an Idea for my extra 35 cab! though I am not as skilled as you seem to be. Nice job!

23. Sounds good Matt!

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yipie O kai eh, MF. Gary

25. STRANGERODZ

STRANGERODZ
    from WASHINGTON

26. kisam

kisam

Congrats! I had to wait all day to see it (can't do youtube at work) but it was worth the wait!

27. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

very bad ass! Great to see it under its own power!!!!!

28. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks everybody. Kisam I've been following your thread since the beginning, congrats to you also. You've done a great job with Tuffy.

So, I picked the truck up last night and drove home from my buddy's. Its about a 10 minute drive from there to my house. My 4 year little girl even rode along with daddy for the first real drive. I was real proud of her she did great. She loved it and asked when she can go for a ride again.

I had an issue with my front tires. I couldn't get the beads to seat all the way, so when I was driving home last night the front end was a little shaky. The first order of business was to fix the front tires. I ended up having to use a die grinder to smooth out the edge on the inside of the wheel. That and I used a heat gun to heat up the rubber. Finally, I got them to seat. I took it on a test ride and it goes down the road great now.

The wife and I took it into town for dinner tonight. So far so good. The hottest it got was about 210 and that was after I got on it pretty hard. It's still running a little fat and I have a bunch of little things to finish. But at least its on the road and I can finish things as I drive it. I even got my first "hey nice rat rod" comment tonight.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  29. John T.

John T.

I was over at Mats this weekend and got the pleasure of going for a ride in this beast, WOW! I have never seen a BBC rev to 6900 RPM like this thing did (especailly being 582 inches) making power the entire way!

We got back and BS'ed for a bit and I was getting ready to leave and he say's, why don't you take me for a spin in it? I usually won't drive another man's Hotrod but Mat and I go back to first grade building models together in grade school (and he's driven my beast).

I thought for a second and said lets roll. I was amazed that I fit in it as confortable as I did (I'm 6" 230 pounds). Not only is this thing SICK fast it drives nice & tight! I didn't attemp the 6900 RPM first- second gear shift but it was a BLAST!!

Great job on the build Mat! You got power, nice street manners and everything is really designed top notch!!!

I'm hoping to get my Hemi back together & hopefully we can make the Spin Out meet the end of Aug. together.