Register now to get rid of these ads!

" How Many Milk Crate Seat Storys Are Out There.."

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Glad I started this thread! Good stuff

2. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

My buddy that I was stationed with in Pearl Harbor had an old VW that the seat was busted in so he hung a lawn chair from the ceiling with some rope and eye-bolts. Whenever he would hit the breaks he would swing up into the dash.

3. Yup it was milk crates alright. My friend 31 Tudoor and I did that not many years ago. I'd found a field of dreams and bought the lot. Among the collectables was a 74 OT car that was never meant to be a convertible and this one was a conversion. He got it running and popped over to my house Via back alleys and we went alley hopping. On the way we met people we new, and caused alot of disbelief and head shakin. Two nearly middle aged old farts havin a blast. It was a convertible what more needs to be said? Cross that off the bucket list.

Doug.

4. 55 Chevy with a snotty 331 and a 4 speed... tapped the throttle... steering wheel popped off the shaft as I headed to the rear of the car milk crate and all!

If it wasn't for the cross bracing by the trunk I believe that I would've ended up there!

5. Not exactly a milk crate story, but a stupidity story nonetheless, starring me.
    In high school we were out at the lake, trying to get nice with some local girls, but when it's time to go home, the old Pontiac coupe won't start. We're 10 miles out of town and got to get the girls home. One of the other guys has got a nice '50 Olds but we don't want to bang up it's front bumper. So two of us guys sat on the Olds front fenders holding onto the hood ornament, and with our feet on the trunk of the Pontiac, to keep it away from the Olds, and push it home that way. I guess the cops were at the donut shop that night. The girls were not as impressed as they should have been.

6. That was when bumper brkts had integrity.. I could totally see that happening! The plastic would tear and the foam insulation would give up, on a car, now a days!

7. I used a milk crate to drive my '56 around the block when I was in 8th grade.

8. historynw

historynw

Hey did it back in april with my 47 Chevy, in fact we loaded onto the truck with the crate and left it for the interior shop. I want it back.

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Knew a guy who got caught street racing his '55 Nomad by his Dad.
    Dad said you can't drive the car for two weeks and proceeded to take the steering wheel off and locked it in his locker at work.
    Friend put a pair of Vicegrips on the steering shaft and drove the Nomad to school the next day and every day after that for two weeks!
    He was very careful to park the car in the same spot in the driveway each time he took it out!

10. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I threw together this little jalopy from bare chassis rails to drivable in five weeks. Body was untreated plywood at this stage, and I used two pairs of vice grips as a steering wheel to take it up the road and smoke the tyres first time. And the gas tank was a plastic bottle tied to the rad shell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later it was glassed over and properly finished. And a real steering wheel fitted.

[​IMG]

11. rougebeats

rougebeats

My mother smoked cigarettes and flicked one out the window....so she thought. Needless to say, my sister and I were cruisin on milk crates in a mesquite smelling car for a bit.

12. The aborted '51 Chevy coupe on a '79 Buick frame I did in high school got unhooked in the parking lot across from the house. To get it in the garage I drove it sitting on an upside down bucket. Quickly learned why that's a bad idea when I nearly fell over just trying to cross the main road.

13. That's funny!

I was still riding skateboards in the 8th grade! Kudos, my friend!

I would've been caught.. your friend should've been a career criminal! j/k

I can't imagine having to explain that one to my significant other! "Uuuh, honey! .. on the way to the store this morning- yeah, you're not gonna believe this, but Uuuhh..

14. I know there's more stories, out there!

15. trimph1

trimph1

I worked for awhile with a guy who ran a garage out of Woodstock ON. His favorite go to vehicle to pick up tires from a place near Ingersoll was a front clip of a 1961 chev impala mounted on a basic ladder frame with a contraption purporting to be the tire rack itself...for the seat there was a Del Monte Orange crate sort of tied with baling wire and hose clamps to said frame..what you did was sit on the crate..place both feet on the brake and accelerator pedals and never bring either of them off those pedals...[​IMG][​IMG]

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

STORIES?! How 'bout a video? It's about 5 minutes long, but it's funny as hell. I'm sitting on a wooden box, that's laying across the frame. NO ignition switch, a remote starter laying in my lap. No throttle cable, running on idle. A piece of metal stock with the steering wheel hooked to it. Notice the traffic in the background.:eek:

I had just got her running and after looking at her for a while, I got my camera out and went for it.

It takes a while for me to come into frame, but trust me, you'll laugh AT me, not WITH me!:D

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xAbdZqIE4o

17. 2xcrash

2xcrash

First ride in my 54 ply. after putting a 305 in it. I gassed it and flew off the milk crate and into where the back seat should have been. scrambled back up and kept her on the road. One of the happiest moments of my life. ( at least in the top 10)

18. I can only imagine, and what a image that is!

Well at least you'll be ready for the body, when it comes to that point. Won't be a big change, since you sit on T's.. and not in 'em! Cool video

It's that one little detail.. "I gassed it.." and the rest is down hill! Sometimes literally

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's done.

[​IMG]

And I fit IN it just fine!:D

20. I like that.. cool roadster!

21. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

While attending night school at LACC my 57 Chev. was gone when I got out of classes. When it was recovered it was missing the Corvette steering wheel, S.W. guages, Sun tach, tools and all of my tuck and roll seats. The hood was chained and locked so nothing under the hood was stolen, however 3 lobes on the Howard cam were rounded. I guess they did a little dragging in it. I was forwarned by the impound lot and brought the only thing I had to sit on, a 5 gal "jerry" gas can. I had a 20 mile return trip through downtown L.A. on that thing.
    I was glad to get home, it ran really bad.

22. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

Back in about '76 my dad needed to get our '70 Nova race car down to the paint shop. Apparently none of his buddies were around because at about 1/2 hour past dark he asked me if I could steer and use the brakes. Being 8 years old and already loving cars I naturally said I could. So there I was, sitting on a milk crate "driving" a car down the road at night, no lights, no doors and hardly able to see over the steering wheel, but I think my smile was the biggest I've ever had. :D

23. Sorry the 57 was stolen.. Running bad had to just make it worse.. Wow!

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one may be a little O/T (Aviation based) but it gets funnier and funnier at least to me every year!
    Many moons ago when I was in the first year of high school I was in an Air Cadet Squadron, it was like Scouts only based in Aviation (Australian Air League).
    Being a bit of an aviation buff (No sh#t huh:rolleyes:) one of the things we did was to go out to airfields and 'hang out' with sport aircraft owners. They would take us flying in return for us doing odd jobs.
    One guy was building a Rutan Long-Ez kit plane, he rented space to build it at the airfield. So this one day while we were there he finally got the VW based motor running, as you do we helped him push it out of the hangar so he could run it up. Only problem was the plane was only half built and you guessed it, no interior!!
    He places two wheel chocks at the rear wheels and out came the trusty soft drink crates (Loy's soft drinks, most Victorians would know them!). Then as a 'bonus' he offered the rear seat to a Cadet, even know the plane would just sit there it was a bit of a treat for the younger Cadets. So we volunteered our youngest Cadet who happily took up the offer.
    He loaded the Cadet in to his 'seat', then went through all the checks for pre start. Once satisfied he climbed in, called 'clear prop' and the little VW motor roared into life turning the propeller. He carried out a few checks while they idled away, then after a few minutes started to throttle up then let it back to idle. After a few of them he obviously pushed it to full power, sitting there with a huge smile while the motor wound up, then.........
    As the plane reached full power it suddenly jumped the chocks and lurched forward, the pilot promptly fell backward his head landing on the lap of the Cadet! The Plane began to taxi across the hard-standing with no pilot at the controls:eek:!!
    It didn't get far, being such a small plane the pilot could still reach the rudder bar and engaged the rudder tip brakes.
    At the time it was such a serious 'incident' but the more I think of it the funnier it gets, a small kit plane taxiing away by it's self? It couldn't happen to a better person either, he was one of those people that had to tell everyone that he was a pilot and how much better he was than you because he owned a airplane, blah, blah, blah.......
    Funny, the next time we saw the plane it had the partition between the front and rear cockpits safely fiberglassed in, and the seats were in there too. I bet they were bolted in too!!

Doc.

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

As a young naive 17yr old I stripped my car to a rolling shell to rebuild; no fenders, front or rear glass, doors, hood, trunk; only suspension with engine, gearbox and radiator. The only thing inside apart from me was the proverbial milk crate. A worked '6' with muncie 4sp and Ford rear. It was a hairy ride but I had to have only last drive. Over to a friend's place and across the main road around a few blocks and back home. The things you do when 10ft tall and bulletproof. Damn dangerous when you look back with the benefit of hindsight.

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

So that's what a European "rat rod" looks like! And for the record, my experience involved a galvanized bucket placed upside down, and had similar results that everyone else has had. What I did was tie a rope around my waist and to the steering column to help keep me on the bucket when I let the clutch out. It worked, I got to where I was going, and did'nt get caught. I think it might be a right-of-passage for young gearheads to use a milk crate or bucket for a seat at least once. Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Thats funny!

28. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I once cut all the floors out of my O/T Mustang except for the drive shaft tunnel. Then drove it across town to a local body shop while sitting on a milk crate to have the new ones welded in. It was a stick too!

29. Took my wagon to Firestone to get four new tires with a bean bag chair for a driver's seat. The guys at the shop said it was a first for them.

30. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I drove an OT car with a rotted floor to my buddy's shop about 20 miles away with two pieces of barn wood across the hole in the floor and a aluminum lanw chair, funny thing is that lawn chair sat so high I had to crank my neck to see out of the windshield, when I got to the shop I went inside and was talking to some guys and one of the staff walks in saying "there is a car out there with a lawn chair for a seat" wedled a new floor in and the front seat was in the back and bolted it up and went.

When picking up the 36 from paint in 86 we needed to tow it home about 1/4 mile to my house, the place that painted it was at the top of a hill up the street from my house, so with no front clip, brakes or seats, just a brace inside the body and steering, I got in the car. We put the car in front of our truck and tied it to the bumper of the truck and let the car roll down the hill first using the truck behind for brakes. We rolled almost to our street then my Dad stopped me and we then pushed it the rest of the way. If that rope broke I would be free wheeling...