Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I'm no expert but I'd guess that was a device that was intended to stabilize the somewhat marginal rear suspension on the X-frame '62 chassis. Those cars had coil springs with dual lower trailing arms but only one factory upper trailing arm that wasn't all that substantial, especially for a stick 409 car. During that era there was lots of experimentation with chassis set-ups. It seems to me that Joe Smith, tuner and driver for the Fenner-Tubbs dealership in Texas had traction bars that reached almost to the rear bumper.

On the other hand, it might be something like a concealed dump for a moonshine tank, in which case, I never said anything about it and I'm not even sure that I can see what you're talking about.

c

2. That's Jerry Ryan's Olds and he DOES still have it today.

3. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

'Rico Suave'

General information you asked for.
    I tried a PM, but would not go through.

1967 Plymouth Barracuda convertible, with a 383/280 HP, 4-speed.
    Car weight = 3224 lbs.
    11.51 wt/hp, which meant it fell into D/S in 1967 (11.30 - 11.88).

But in 1968, it would have a good weight break, as it would fall into
    H/S (11.50 - 11.99).

Unfortunately, only '9' of those 67' Barracuda convertibles, with a 383 4-speed were built.
    Bet not one was raced on a 'regular' basis back then.

Low horsepower rating was due to a de-tweaked Carter 525 AFB carburetor,
    poor flowing intake manifold, and restrictive dual-exhaust system (1 7/8" piping)
    and pretzel-shaped driver side exhaust manifold.

pc

4. Try this one out for size! :D Or did you have a different pic in mind?

cureton3zjzSMG.gif

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  5. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why my last two posts have been deleted? Both were about a picture taken many years ago of a silver '68 442 race car. The personal notification section in my message area said the first post was removed because of an "Off Topic Vehicle" and the second (also pertaining to the same car) was removed and the reason given was "Drama". I really don't understand, and I'm not trying to cause any problem or stir up anything, but I thought I was asking appropriate questions. I think everybody here knows I am a dyed-in-the-wool Oldsmobile guy, and I would like to know more about that car if possible. Thanks in advance, Dave.

6. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

The pre-1964 rule is intact.
    But I have a 1969 question.
    Can anyone post the 1964 NHRA National Records.
    Both Stock and Super/Stock.

Trying to find some info on AA/SA and F/S.

Thanks Paul

7. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I had a post nixed and have no idea why....makes no sense to me but it's not my site...

You want memories....You want get anymore from me....See ya....

8. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Rich,

I hope you change your mind....

but if you don't, I want to thank you for all your post's. You have shared a lot of stories and added many facts about racing back then that I was unaware of. I'm just a 54 year old who has bracket raced and time-run off and on since 1975 and I've never won a dollar - but guys like you were what inspired me to race. I know most people say when bracket racing started they would rather stay home than bracket race.... but when you have been reading about Junior Stockers in car/drag magazines from the mid sixties to the early seventies and you get your drivers license in 1972....well, you do what you can and I wanted to go down that dragstrip as fast and as often as possible, and because of the Junior Stock influence I had the right atmosphere inside my car and the right thoughts inside my head - again because of guys like you.
    Sorry for ramblin on but reading your "see ya" sounded too final.
    Take care Rich

Eddie

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  9. Max Wedge S/SA

Max Wedge S/SA
    from USA

Sorry that this thread is going south. Here is the final view of my '63 that I raced since new then retired it because of my age.....not the Plymouths'

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  10. Max Wedge S/SA

Max Wedge S/SA
    from USA

Maybe one more picture, I'm still proud of it..

Attached Files:

11. Logus

Logus
    from Pa

Here's a couple of posts, commenting on the subject of what's accepted,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3800693&postcount=11

This is from the first link, below, on forum rules.

"The cut off date for the entire HAMB is 1964."

"Not a sliding scale, because that date was chosen to keep the Musclecars and Ponycars out."

There seems to be exceptions, but common thread seems to be keeping the Musclecars and Ponycars out. Don't seem to like the idea of any geek, etc. who can't change a plug, or check the oil walk into a dealership and "BUY" a "FACTORY BUILT HOTROD", even though they could have got a 62/64 406, 409, 421, 427, 413, 426, etc. a couple of years earlier.

I might not be right, but I think a good example, of an exception, year wise. might be a 66 Chevy II. A cheapy post coupe that came with 6 cyl., 3 spd, and "BUILT" into a pseudo gasser, ala, straight axle, injector stacks and/or scoop, radius wheel wells, etc., that some guy built in his garage, would be OK!
    Now, if that same guy, in 1966, went down to the Chevrolet dealer and "BOUGHT" a new 1966 Chevy II, L79 327, 4 spd, 12 Bolt, etc., that would "NOT be OK" !!!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6467145&postcount=9

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6416370&postcount=2

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5474691&postcount=6

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  12. Alaskam5

Alaskam5
    from Alaska

Just my 2 cents. There have been plenty of threads on 65 thru 71 cars (even multiple pictures of these cars) that have not been deleted. I raced a 68 in the old stock class before we were all forced to go to SS in NHRA. But not my site so rules are rules.

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yes there are.

We cant find them all ( and sometimes when we do find them they have been around for a while )

All the Mods here are volunteers, we also have our real jobs...

Having Users post lots of O/T pics and Drama like on this Thread, uses up more of that time.
    ( some of these Users have had lots of posts Deleted already, and should know better by now )

If you see anything that doesnt belong on the HAMB, please use the Report Button to let the Mods know.

If any more discussion about this is necessary, please go to the Q & S Forum for that.

And Post things that are Relevant and On Topic on the HAMB.

14. Cristina Yurkiw

Cristina Yurkiw
    from Las Vegas

If I can help I will. Let me know what exactly I should do?

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just a sidebar of sorts. For those of you looking to explore the word of later model (post 64) jr. stockers, check out dogfightmag.com. Those kinds of posts are welcomed there.

Carry on.

16. Cristina Yurkiw

Cristina Yurkiw
    from Las Vegas

that is very nice. i am happy to hear you know dad.

17. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

R/T,

Post # 3007

'Nasty' Valiant

Is that of a 1966 Valiant V-100, 2-door post (Sedan)
    The 1966 V-200 cars were 4-doors only.
    And the Signet was a hardtop or convertible only.

If that photo is from 1969, then that was a 273/235 HP Commando.
    1969 = I/SA
    The car weighed #2808 lbs. and had a wt/hp of 11.94
    1969 I/S was 11.50 - 11.99

pc

18. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

19. copo69

copo69
    from WV

What's everybody's opinion of migrating to Dogfight.com? I really enjoy several Hamb threads but it's their ball so they can make the rules. Several threads on Hamb could go... maybe set up threads for Jr., Super stocks, mod productions and general drag racing to maybe 1975. There are some Yahoo groups that could maybe be enticed in also.

20. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

If this is truly the end of the NHRA Junior Stock thread, then it's a sad day. I will still keep coming back here to see whats going on but if this is the end...... I want to thank EVERYONE who has contributed pictures, stories, information, etc.

And to the members of this thread who actually raced in Junior Stock and have shared their stories, memories, knowledge and pictures..... well, a Thank You just doesn't seem enough. During the Junior Stock era, the closest I could get to you racers was in my car magazines - but to get a chance to read your posts and be on this thread with you's has made me feel even closer.

Take care guy's and Thank you all again!

Sincerely,
    Eddie

21. BadNews

BadNews

Thanks for the heads up.... have enjoyed the photos and discussions on this site and no doubt will check in on occassion....made the mistake of not reading the rules myself......while always thinking of the tri-fives as the unmistakable "Junior Stockers", nothing in my opinion said it more to me than the '66 Biscayne/Bel Airs .... the final round of Boertmans' '59
    Chevy against Billy Izykowski's "Paranoia" '66 Biscayne IS what Junior Stock means to me.....any motor, any body, as long as it's fast and cool.
    Thanks for the memories...See ya on the "Dark Side"....goin' to check out
    Dogfight.com....:confused:

22. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

What a shame! I knew those last 3 posts of mine would get AXED! I've truly enjoyed this thread for the last 3 years. I've made some great new friendships out here! I want to personally thank Colesy for generating this great forum. If this thread had died, please let me know where we are going to "migrate" to! Theres lots of good stuff on Facebook,, but its just not the same as on here where real in-the-day racers have told some good stories and provided some really great pix! Thanks for the memories! My picture file really thanks YOU ALL!! I'm gonna continue to check in every day. Its a habit i have developed!!
    I still may make it to York, but am not yet sure!!

23. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Check in with Colsey or Chuck Norton at the end of July. Better things ahead.:)

24. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

love them fifties cars

25. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

post the 442 photos at yellow bullet lol

26. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

1.348 million "hits", 10,000 posts on 500 pages...and "adios"?

Wow.

Thanks most sincerely to absolutely EVERYONE who's contributed. And to those who will continue to.

"Friends", indeed.

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

Not Adios at all.

If that was the case, you wouldnt still be able to post on this Thread, it would be gone.

All we ask is for the content to be respectful of the HAMB guidelines.
    And for the Off Topic content to be posted somewhere else.
    (in a Soicial Group, The Dogfight Forum, or even somewhere outside of the Atomic network.)

We really do appriciate the On Topic content that has been posted, and we are only trying to minimise the content that is Off Topic.
    Same goes for all the Drama...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  28. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

After all these years I still like reading the old Jr. Stock write-ups from magazines of the "old-daze".

I'm still collecting pieces and parts but I'm getting there. There still has to be good stuff from the proper era out there.

Colesy, "your the man".

29. BadNews

BadNews

30. 270283

Could this whole thread be moved lock, "stock" and barrel to a Social Group or in it's entirety to the Dogfight forum? I am no computer whiz but was just wondering if that would be a way to save this. It is far too enjoyable and I feel historically important to just fade away.