Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Mercury chopped rear window options. Show me some pics

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jamcoupe, Jun 24, 2011.

1. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

Please show me some pics of chopped Mercurys with different model or make rear glass. I'm looking for a 49 or 50 Mercury rear glass but would like to see other options. Thanks Jeff

2. fms427

fms427

Of course 50 Merc is the most popular (49 is 3 piece?) - just don't use the 51 - unless you are Dick Dean it will look awkward. I made that mistake..........:D

3. rangeman

rangeman
    from medford,or

[​IMG]

Here's one with what may be a fleetline rear window--lots of slope to back. Nice car, a little futuristic--not old style

4. rangeman

rangeman
    from medford,or

Do a search at "custom car builder Spotlight: Paul Bragg" He has built some really nice custom Merc's using other back glass.

5. Here's two mercs with none merc rear windows

Attached Files:

6. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Paul Bragg is the man..
    picture from RIKSTERs

look at this sideshot

[​IMG]

but it can be done...heres mine! and yes its the sultan of chop, Dick dean who did it!

[​IMG]
    -palle

FunnyCar65 likes this.
  7. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I actually dig the 51 rear window when it's done right.

chopper99 likes this.
  8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That black 51 with the 51 window is close to unbeliveable...How he chopped the roof that much and still made the 51 window flow like that I have no idea, but it is absolutely amazing.

-Abone.

9. Mr Nilsson

Mr Nilsson
    from Sweden

I never liked the ´51 rear window until I saw Tinwolfs ´51 Merc. Right done it looks excellent!

[​IMG][/URL]

10. Screenz

Screenz
    from Texas city

Damn never seen the 51 window look that good! That black one is killer

11. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Tinwolf's is to me the best out there. you might want to get a hold of him and ask about his car. i know he did it like 10+ years ago. you could just start the chop and take your time getting the rear window to flow. its about being patient. take a little out at a time and see where it takes you.

12. [​IMG]
    Best Chop on a 51 EVER !!!!!!!!!!!! Someone had to say it.

13. Rikster

Rikster

Some more... and the car is not black.. its purple, but the gray and wet Dutch day in June made it look black.

[​IMG]

Palle Johansen photo
    [​IMG]

14. Palle , I would love to see this beauty dressed in some earlier cad sombreros,not that it doesnt look good now but I just think the earlier ones are more fitting for the smooth flowing 51 .

15. desotot

desotot

I like that he kept the 1/4 windows as flip out

16. wow! ^^^ that last photo is fantastic. the flow of that back glass is beautiful.

17. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Rikster

Rikster

No worries....

I did this Photoshop for Palle a year or so ago... and Palle is going to add Caddy Sombrero's or something else... but at least more suiting than the '57 Caddy hubcaps it now has.

[​IMG]

19. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Jeff..no worries! like Rik says it will be done. i just found some NOS sombreros.
    JAMCOUPE..i didnt want to highjack the thread!
    -palle

20. Rikster

Rikster

Janne Kutja took these photos of Wolf's 1951 Mercury. The rear glass on this one is plex. But it sure is one of the best looking '51 Merc rear windows. Togethere with Palle's Dick Dean '51 Merc pictured above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucky & Customs used a 1941 Chevy rear window in George Garza's 1951 Mercury

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. cretin

cretin

Just take your time and do some planning and use the '51 window. Looks good with it.

[​IMG]

I don't have a good photo with the glass in, but I'll try to get one.

22. 00 MACK

00 MACK

[​IMG]
    Its important to notice the angle cut into the corners of the lower rear window along tith the upward sweep between the rear window and the trunk. Those two factors are how this look was acheived on such a low cut. Oh and on a side note, the 57 Caddy's look fabulous.

23. Definitley the best one I have ever seen done. The key to me is the sharp pointed lower corner of the bottom stainless trim and been radiused.

I usually hate the stock glass used because the point on the trim is almost always left on and when seen in profile it sticks out like a sore thumb. Everything is flowing and smooth and then BAM there is a sharp point that draws the eye to it immediately which completely interupts the flow.

24. 00 MACK

00 MACK

In my opinion, those radiused corners were a needed on the Hirohata and this one due to the heavy cut but my favorite look is when the corners are left on the trim and the panel between the trunk and the window is left stock appearing with minimal upsweep. Oh yeah, This thread was about non merc windows in mercs. Sorry

25. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

What is this window from??

27. My 1950 Merc. Completing the 4" chop. I kept the original wrap around window.

Attached Files:

28. I'm sure the later '49's were 1 piece.

29. SportSedan

SportSedan

^ Yes thats correct,the three piece back window was also used on the 1949 and 1950 Lincoln EL,and Mercury CM from the beginning of 1949 production to June of 1949.