Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Great Tucker Tour - 30 Tuckers in 3 weeks - For Real!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Great Tucker Tour, Jun 10, 2011.

1. There was a Dr in Salem Oregon with a gold car I seen back in the late 80s it was stunning, I had never seen a real one it was far ahead of its time.

2. ..................................

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. hemifarris

hemifarris

What a great adventure you're on. An excellent tutorial as well......Mike

4. F&J

F&J

Great history in this thread.

The Tucker story reminds me a just little bit of the first 50 1936 Cords that were hurriedly handbuilt in very unusual paint colors for the promotional shows; and so rushed, that some did not even run.

I suppose if things went differently, E.L.Cord might have ended up in the same situation as Preston Tucker did.

It sounds like the Tuckers were collector cars from day one?

5. KC-Steve

KC-Steve

I wonder how historically accurate is the 1988 movie? (Tucker: The Man and His Dream) Just curious. Hollywood generally seems to enjoy taking creative license in recent years.

Steve

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  6. Great Tucker Tour

Great Tucker Tour
    from Maui

If you'd like to know how accurate the movie was you can go here:

http://www.tuckerclub.org/html/movieinfo.html

It's a great commentary on the movie.It was put together by Dr. Larry Clark who is a Tucker Historian and is also on the Board of Directors of the Tucker Club.

7. billylo

billylo

Keep it coming.......LOVE IT!!!

8. Whatever. Same to ya.

9. That sound clip of a running Tucker is great! Very distinctive and unmistakable when compared to other cars of the day. I want to ride in one!

So, what is the word on the car in Brazil that was wasting away in a warehouse? Last we had seen that here, it was pictured outside and being washed off.

10. SHELBYMAN1968

SHELBYMAN1968
    BANNED

yes, he may have been....he thinks more highly of me than i am. Yes, i am the the owner, but only in spirit. All tuckers are a part of us, because we tune in to the life and legacy of what they are and the intriging history behind them. In that, it is most magical, even more so, as we move further past the history into the future. It is a little part of heaven on this earth. And that's where in pensive thought i choose to dwell.

11. Great Tucker Tour

Great Tucker Tour
    from Maui

Glad we've cleared that up.

12. SHELBYMAN1968

SHELBYMAN1968
    BANNED

To finish the quote,"but only in spirit". To quote in part can change the whole meaning.

13. hemifarris

hemifarris

Here's a dumb question. Regardless of spirit, what day it is or how your feeling today, do YOU own the car? Just a simple YES or NO. Giving a one word answer will eliminate "the whole meaning of a partial quote"......Thanks,Mike:)

14. SHELBYMAN1968

SHELBYMAN1968
    BANNED

Here's a dumb question. I thought the focus of this thread was on the Grant Tucker Tour and not on who owned what. What I own is on my profile. What you own is your business and none of my business. I would never ask anyway. That's just not me. Columbo passed away recently. Let's let him rest in peace. Let's try to stay and not stray from center point and that is the tour, the esthetic beauty of these cars and enjoying their history, for surely they have left their legacy like a work of fine art. Like a Rembrant or a Van Gogh. They are to be celibrated, tasted and savored like a fine wine. That's my thoughts.

15. hemifarris

hemifarris

Actually, your paragraph has no question nor question mark, dumb or smart. One more thing.....Your sentences "Columbo passed away recently. Let's let him rest in peace. Let's try to stay and not stray from center point and that is the tour". Just how is that staying on point? You sir/madam are the reason for my signature from which I'll gladly adhere to in this case..........Mike

16. SHELBYMAN1968

SHELBYMAN1968
    BANNED

Have you ever heard that your attitude determines your altitude. Sometimes the right thing to do is just do the right thing. Sometimes people have to be right, just to be right. When you continue to press your point, when their is no point (except centerpoint), You reveal more than I want to know about you. You become what you abhore about the idiot thing as your byline. That's rather sad. First off, you need to respect people and their view, just like Aretha Franklin sang R.E.S.P.E.C.T. with the chorus "just a little bit". down deep inside,I believe your bigger than that. Now, please, let's just move on and try to enjoy the beauty and intrique of these cars, THE TUCKERS!

17. Great Tucker Tour

Great Tucker Tour
    from Maui

Yes, let's please try to keep things on track. If someone has personal questions or wants to play games they can just contact the member directly and keep it off the thread.

We'll start our trek up the California Coast searching out the last few Tuckers on this leg of our tour.

The Tucker Convention was a lot of fun. Not often do you get a chance to see Tuckers on the road let alone two of them. Thanks again to the owners of Tuckers #1003 and #1031.

I think this is my favorite photo from the trip so far

Attached Files:

18. id love to own a tucker but i guess ill have to settle for my 1/18 diecast i have

one thing ive allways wondered is how complicated was the mechanism to get the center headlight to turn with the front wheels?

19. Wow, I loved the movies- and have seen the one at the Peterson Auto Museum in LA and that one that was in Vegas when it was there-

Great thread- great photos- I hope one day when I have the time to set off on a great adventure like this!

Great Tucker Tour - Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!

20. .......................

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  21. [​IMG]
    I love this picture.

22. SHELBYMAN1968

SHELBYMAN1968
    BANNED

I like it too . You hardly ever see 2 Tuckers side by side. It's like doubling your pleasure and doubling your fun.

23. The blue is just a great color outside,I mean it looks good inside but it really comes to life outside..... Gorgeous Car.

24. SHELBYMAN1968

SHELBYMAN1968
    BANNED

And it's funny how the colors make the 2 Tuckers look different in dimentions. The blue one looks wider (I guess because how the light iridates or reflects the blue) and red one, which the body looks narrower. But it may be the camera angle.

25. I think the blue one also looks wider because it is lower then the red one,at least it looks that way to me.

26. SHELBYMAN1968

SHELBYMAN1968
    BANNED

You're right! That could well be. Maybe it's the size of the tires.

27. The blue one does look lower, and it appears it may have a different chassis? Look at what appear to be lower A arms on the Blue one, totally different undercarriage look than the other.

Tucker trour - can you describe the difference / what may be causing the one to be lower than the other?

28. SHELBYMAN1968

SHELBYMAN1968
    BANNED

The blue Tucker looks like a low rider, almost!

29. Great Tucker Tour

Great Tucker Tour
    from Maui

Tucker #1003, the red one, has had a recent restoration and I suspect got some attention to the suspension. I also has an early Tucker suspension so it is somewhat different than what is in the later cars.

Tucker #1031, the blue car, has probably had some attention to the suspension since Preston Tucker and his family owned this car but I don't believe it has had anything recent.

I also think Tucker #1031 was carrying more people and had more adults in it than were in Tucker #1003 when these photos were taken.

Tuckers tend to squat down as time goes by. The rubber in the suspension dries out and the weight flattens it. When they finally get to the point the wheels don't move some owners have installed what Tucker Enthusiasts call a "Lumbar Suspension" by adding a two by four to hold it up.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011