Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage drag boats

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by LANCE-SPEED, Jul 25, 2008.

1. I do not!!!!

Wheeler likes this.
  2. a-boy-named-sue

a-boy-named-sue

I have a complete rebuildable flathead v8(49-53) equipt with a set of star marine exhaust manifold, jabsco pumps and a capital gear box, and a few other nic-nacs. If anyone is interested hit me up on a pm. I have no need for it so if any collector is interested let me know...

3. TomWar

TomWar

Watching CBS news tonight, They said the Dangerous sport of Boat Drag racing has been around since the 70's.
    I guess what we were doing in the 50's and 60's didn't count!!!!

Wheeler likes this.
  4. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. For those out there who are going to the California Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield this October....Not only will drag racing and Nostalgia Cars, and just about everyone who is anyone going to be there, but this year, Sixties vintage drag boats will also be on display. Land and water racers share a kinship. Stop by and swap tall tales with us....

6. sunbum32

sunbum32
    from Denver Co

Sanger shovel nose ex-drag Hydro, It had a Big block Chevy with twin turbo’s. What a Fun Ride !!

Attached Files:

7. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

WTH....:eek: This thing blows my mind!!!! Where can I find more about this boat?

8. alboatsaz2

alboatsaz2
    from Tucson Az

WANT TO BRING YOU UP TO DATE ON THE SUNKEN SHOVEL NOSE BOAT(SUNKEN BEAUTY) tHE BOAT WAS PURCHASED FROM THE SALVAGE PEOPLE BY MY SON AND A FRIEND. AFTER COMING TO THE UNDERSTANDING THAT THEY WOULD NEVER GET IT REPAIRED THEY SOLD IT TO A BUDDY WHO IS AT THIS TIME WORKING ON IT. tHE MOTOR IS GOOD AND HAS HAD MACHINE WORK DONE AND IS READY TO PUT BACK TOGEATHER, IT NEEDED A NEW BLOWER. A LOT OF THE HARDWARE IS USEABLE(COLD WATER i GUESS) THE HULL HAS SMALL DELAM BUT STRINGERS ARE GOOD. THE FELLOW THAT HAS IT DOES FIBERGLAS WORK FOR A LIVING SO SHOULD BE NO BIG DEAL. i WILL POST PHOTO'S FROM TIME TO TIME. I'M A NEWBIE TO H.A.M.B. HAVE BEEN ON V-DRIVE.COM FOR SOME TIME. AS I READ THE POST ON VINTAGE DRAG BOATS I THOUGHT THAT MAYBE SOME ONE HERE MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP ME WITH A PROJECT THAT I'M WORKING ON. I PURCHASED A 67 18' AQUACRAFT IN SPOKANE WA. A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO AND I'M TRYING TO LEARN MORE OF ITS BACKGROUND. THE NAME OF THE BOAT IS CLIMAX AND WAS ON THE SIDE BACK BY THE TRANSOM. ON THE DECK IT HAS THE FOLLOWING LETTERED. ON PASS. SIDE IT SAYS BLOWN GAS 103.56 1/4 MILE. ON DRIVER SIDE IT SAYS BOSS 401 BUICK PLUS AND THE NAME OF THE WRENCHES STAN,MIKE AND PAUL. YOU CAN NOT READ THE DRIVERS NAME AND ON THE BACK OF THE TRANSOM IT HAS TA-TA. I'M REDOING THIS BOAT COMPLETE WITH A BLOWN 401 BUICK BUT I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE BOAT.

Attached Files:

9. bg64vw

bg64vw

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

7.JPG
    Heres an old school Jet Boat my dad picked up at an auction along with some other items here in South Central Kentucky. Its got a big ford motor on it, think its a 390, don't know if its good and theres no title. Looks like it could be beast on the water. Its for sale or trade for a decent model a t coupe or roadster body. PM me if your interested.

10. TomWar

TomWar

THE NAME OF THE BOAT IS CLIMAX AND WAS ON THE SIDE BACK BY THE TRANSOM.

In 1965, I bought the original "CLIMAX" it was a flat-bottom Bustle-back Sanger 18' with a 392 hemi. built in about 1958 it had gone over 120 at one time. All of the real "Climax" boats after that were Sanger Hydros, as far as I know.

Wheeler likes this.
  11. alboatsaz2

alboatsaz2
    from Tucson Az

It would appear that you are correct as that is all that I have been able to find. not sure if this boat lived its life in the nortwest or was a transplant fron southern cal. I would think someone would know somethink about a boat that went that speed and with a nailhead for prower. I saw that you where a Sanger guy I also have a 71 17'10" sanger with a BBC runs a nice 70-75 always a lot of fun lets me feel like I'm in my 20's for a short time and then my back tells me different.

12. surfn37

surfn37
    from California

Didn't Chris Blevins have a boat called Church Mouse? If so I wonder if this is one of his boats. My friend bought it in the 70's and the side reads "Church Mouse III " anyone have any idea???

Attached Files:

13. alboatsaz2

alboatsaz2
    from Tucson Az

An update to abone 1930 post of an article from Hot Boat in 1999. The article was about a shovel nose boat that had sank in Havasu some years earlier (1971) and was found by a salvage crew looking for a different boat. the orig. post was #101 with a follow up #349. The boat is being restored by the current owner with plans to bring it back just as it was Hemi and all. I will from time to time update the info with photo's of the progress. At this time the deck has been removed and the hull stripped of every thing including stringers, bulheads etc. New stringers and bulkheads have been installed and a new Balsa floor has been installed. after some finish glass work the floor will be flow coated and the deck will be installed. I'm attaching photo's of the stringers bulkheads and flooring. I hope!

Attached Files:

14. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Some great boats on here!!! Applekrate is a good friend of mine. Here are some pics & a couple of videos of his boat. Hondo flat bottom V drive, Mickey Thompson Pontiac Hemi Displacing 421 CI. Motor is back together & running. First video is at the PBO Fall fest Steve hosted at Speedworld Dragstrip in Phoenix. This is with zoomie hedders. Click on the first pic to see the video. make sure to turn up the volume!!!

[​IMG]

Here are several pictures from the local lake. Rebuilding the water pump at the boat ramp. Steve's 66 GTO was the tow vehicle that day. Notice the shorts in the middle of November!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This video, the boat is in the water, fireup & checking for water to the hedders. Second video is a short run out on the lake. Please excuse the poor video in the second clip. I took this with a small hand held Kodak camera & my memory chip ran out half way through the run. Even that far out on the lake, the sound was messing up my camera's audio!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheeler likes this.
  15. Choptop

Choptop

Bump... Hey Spike... check yer PM's.

call me 916-207-4645

16. Sorry ... I still haven't found my father's Oakland Estuary Drag Boat pics :( ... but I did come across some Ektachrome slides that my Dad shot of a fellow Nor Cal Early Iron club member's boat (and his cool tow rig) :cool: at Lake Camanche in 1973:

Sonny Hallsworth's Boat @ Lake Camanche - 1973.jpg Sonny Hallsworth's C-Cab & Boat @ Lake Camanche - 1973.jpg

17. Hey Hemi32,
    Cool shots of the Hemi powered "C" Cab and the flatbottom. 1973, yeah, good times to be sure. I can't tell what hull he's got, the squared-off rear gunwale is uncommon, unless maybe the whole boat is wood, not 'glass, then the shape is more common . I DO see a big FE Ford in the boat, and the use of a "trailing wedge" rudder, which was more common in SK style, or boats that needed to turn better without adding more down pedal to the cav control.
    The campgrounds look nice from the shot anyway. Just where is Lake Camanche?

18. Spike -

I'm not sure what hull it is ... could very well be a wooden boat and/or custom hull built by the owner, Sonny Hallsworth.

Sonny was a master carpenter ... and he built the fiberglass body for his C-Cab ... which also featured an amazing mahogany interior (with joinery usually only seen in fine cabinetry ... or boats).

http://www.camancherecreation.com/directions/index.php

19. TomWar

TomWar

Are you sure that's not a Rayson Craft??

20. TomWar

TomWar

21. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Here's mine. Finished restoring her last year. It's a 1968 Schiada with a 396 BBC. All original including the interior. I found it complete, sitting for 25 years in a storage unit. Took everything apart, cleaned, polished, rebuilt, and put it back together.

Attached Files:

Wheeler likes this.
  22. Ryan,
    Nicely done!!! it would appear that your Schiada was formerly a circle boat, maybe a ski racer. The last photo looks like it was taken at Parker Ariz. That checkerboard "target" design was used on many Schiadas back when they made flatbottoms. A very famous Schiada was called "Pony Tail", a ski racer back in the sixties. Anyway, I sure dig your boat.

23. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Thanks Spike! That is Parker, been going my whole life. My boat was an SK, originally owned by Steve Ferrin who worked for Leonard at Schiada.

I actually have an old ad with a photo of Pony Tail. My buddy just picked up a 69 Schiada that we think may have been another old ski racer named BaNsHeE.

There's more info on the old checkerboard Schiada boats here:
    http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21418

24. They use vehicles like that a lot up here, but here they use them to put float planes in and out of the water.

25. Here's an interesting historic picture from Canada, the "Miss BC" and the driver. I added another pic of "Oregon Thunder" driven by Wally Zoon, it was a Cole TA/Hydro, somewhat like the boat we ran, "Airtime".

Attached Files:

26. Hey 29bowtie!
    I never knew Larry Schwabenland drove Miss B.C. But then, there's lots of things I don't know.......
    I've met Larry many times, It's hard to picture this soft spoken, laid back, gentleman, as one of the all-time best drag boat drivers ever.
    Larry, I believe, is slated to be at this drag boat book signing, along with a handfull of other known owner/drivers from the sixties. There may also be a few sixties dragboats there too.
    I know you live in Canada, and probably won't be in the area, but, for any others interested, here's the flyer and info......

Attached Files:

27. Spike, I wish I could be there for that! We were racing at Lakeside, Oregon, on Ten Mile Lake, in the mid 90's, when a man approached us in the pits, to present us with a copy of the picture of the "Miss BC" and an invitation to come see the boat itself, that was sitting in his driveway a half a block away.:eek: What a piece of history.

28. A few random shots along with a photo of my son crawling on my old Kona and my friends 60 Biesemeyer next to what was possibly the shi**iest houseboat to ever be turned loose on Lake Havasu.

Additional photo of the float plane from a previous post. It's on Lake Havasu now and is anchored out in front of the Naked Turtle Bar at Park Moabi.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      117.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      82.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      99.6 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      119.7 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      139.3 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      90.5 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      85.4 KB
      Views:
  29. I thought I would lay this one on ya.........It's the back cover of the 1968 Moon Catalog , showing the Poty hulled "Moonshine" flatbottom that Dean Moon built as his personal ski boat.
    Note the matching El Camino, and a lack of fenders ( !!!! ) or step plates on the trailer. They added them after the picture was taken. ( To see the boat today, see post #70, page 4, of this blog )
    Also, if you click on the picture, you can better see the movie camera mounted on a swiveling ski tow, so that Dean could take movies of his skiers, and the camera would follow the skier.........and YOU thought YOUR boat was trick.
    It is a period perfect example of what a sixties ski inboard looked like...hot, clean, and custom.We should all be so hip today....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  30. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Pretty cool maroon and white Stevens!! :D;)

That was/is a real cool boat, Spike...hip was in!!:cool: