Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone running Jeep M151 wheels on a hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Jun 27, 2011.

1. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

These wheels look kinda cool....was wondering if anyone has pics of these on a hot rod?

Attached Files:

2. samurai mike

samurai mike

take a good look at the back space.

3. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

the back spacing looks close to that on the milk truck wheels. I realize looking isnt the same as measuring....but Im not lucky enough to own a set of divco's

Attached Files:

4. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

i was thinking about the possibility of changing the rim to adjust the back spacing some. I think they would look kinda cool if one could make them work

5. The first 151 wheels were magniseum, if you can find a set, also look closely at the lug holes (no taper for a standard lug nut). they fit over a stid.

6. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Picked up 5 of them today.....you know what years they were made with magnesium?

7. 64-65, after the first beach landings they were quickly replaced with steel wheels. Pretty rare to find a set and are highly prized by MV collectors and restorers.

8. I've never had a set of 151 rims, but i have a lot of willys K-H rims. They don't register right on the hubs, the center opening is huge for the 4 wheel drive hubs to pass through. One set i have has a lip on the center that doesn't allow the rim to sit flush with my Ford hub either.

9. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

what were 59-63?

10. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

they fit, but like you said the center is for 4 wheel drive, but a hub centric ring of some type would fix this. I dont know if i'll use them, but they are in the "maybe later on" pile

11. My first encounter with them was in 64, might have been earlier. The truck model was XM 151.

12. '59-'63 jeep wheels like in Willys Jeep resemble 40 Ford, pretty close to it.

13. Yeah, other then the center hole, they are very close.

Attached Files:

14. M-151 1/4 ton trucks are not "Jeeps." Most were built by Ford. Rear suspension is very similar to the Corvair. Excellent performance off road but known to be tricky at highway speeds. For that reason, they were almost always cut in two before they were sold as surplus.

15. The magnesium Mutt wheels have 5 windows much like a small window Halibrand - if you flip them around the windows even have lips like the Hals. The trouble is they would be very difficult run backwards as they have a recessed front center that would require custom spacers to work.

Steve

16. Would it be a good idea to weld the holes shut and redrill a different pattern on the steel rims???
    I have 4 of these rims I would like to use them but I cant because the bolt patern