Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to unchop/rechop a 46 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Jun 15, 2011.

1. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

The current engine is coming out and going into a mud truck, the new one will have some more compression & about 60 more cubes, but use the same induction setup.

As far as records, I pride myself on getting disqualified at last years WOS for breaking the street car class speed limit.

2. choptvan

choptvan

3. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

That purple one is nice, too bad they didn't chop it enough.

4. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

We had a twinturbo big block chevy for this car, we tested it in a Ranger... it made very good power, I then built a 496 tall deck with much larger twin turbos for this car... however after an evening in the shop looking at the car and the chassis, I decided to go to a different power adder that was on my bucket list. Then I changed again, mostly so that people would argue about how it doesn't/can't/won't work...

At the moment it has a tall deck 496, with canfield 350 cc heads, 4L80e, 4.10 gears and a 6600 pill, last time on the chassis dyno it made 702rwhp@6000 on 87 octane, but the rpm was probably off due to significant tire slip. On good gas I might make 850... the new motor will be a tall deck 540 4.5x4.25 at 9.5:1 for VP110.
    I am looking for a 9.80 @ 145, then the car will probably go to the Texas Mile, and maybe that Maxton event.

5. choptvan

choptvan

That's the thought. We'll see how it turns out.

6. hershambob

hershambob

without the drip rails the rear side window looks kinda goofy on that burgandy car

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thats Sam Foose's car he built in the 70's....that car helped kick start the kustom car revival !!

8. choptvan

choptvan

I love that car. THe chop we did on for our tech thread, turned out pretty close in proportion.

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

One of my favorites as well! I was about 10 or so when he built it..I still have the well worn issue of 1001 rod ideas or whatever it was called, that issue had Curleys Merc in it as well :D I bet you I re-read it a 100 times lol. I chopped mine a little more than Sams car but it was definately an influence !

10. choptvan

choptvan

11. phat rat

phat rat

I'd say it's chopped in proportion and not overdone the way so many are. It's not about how much you take out it's how it looks when done, right or squashed/ski slope.

12. subMOA

subMOA

Just checking in- this way I'll know when it's time to drive another 2400 miles to pick it up. Planning this way will be in stark contrast to Twin Turbo's last call- "Hey, can you drive to CO with me this weekend to drop my car at Choptvan's house?"

13. Choptvan took a few days off to move the shop to a bigger location. I helped him move over the weekend. His computer access won't be up for a few days for sure. I think he plans to get back on this one as soon as he is settled.

14. subMOA

subMOA

Cool- he sounded pretty excited about the possibility of the move when we were there.

Twin Turbo is coming South to visit this weekend- we're gonna make him work on something proper- one that has all the wheels driving.

15. choptvan

choptvan

I was very excited! Still am. 3500 sq ft house 2000 sq foot shop 7 acres can't be beat! Should have some more updates by the end of the week.

16. choptvan

choptvan

Here are a few updates. Remember, this IS a race car. World of Speed bound. So please, do not judge till you see the end result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. choptvan

choptvan

Has a long way to go still. More stuff soon.

18. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

Looks great to me.

I have driven it around with the screwed up chop job for about 3 years. All together maybe 5000 miles.

At the dragstrip and out the street people all thought it was a cool car.

At the 09 WOS several people had negative comments, I guess they must have been experts...

I like black hot rods with a chopped top, big motor, big cam, & a big blower.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  19. johnboy13

johnboy13

New shop huh? Did you move? Anyway, both the shop and the project look great.

20. choptvan

choptvan

hey hey there! How ae you doin man!? Yup. All moved to a new shop 2times the size of what I had. Movin up in the world.

21. choptvan

choptvan

so an update. Chopping a car this much requires a lot of patience, cussing, and measuring to get it all right. So far, so good. Everything is still getting it's mock up to ensure fit before any further tack welding incase anything has to be moved or realigned farther. More tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

This is exactly the look I wanted. Your work looks very good.

That air cleaner setup is going to have to go away... anyone have a suggestion that will support 850 hp?

[​IMG]

23. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Choptvan it sure looks like the chop is coming along great. Congratulations on the move to a bigger shop. Elbow room is nice for flying sparks and parts while customizing. Hope to see ya in Salina. Give me a hollar when there if you are going,I have the Gold Airflow.

24. choptvan

choptvan

I wll be in salina. But with a smooth, swoopy 1936 ford. Mild custom. I will give you a shout. See you there.

25. choptvan

choptvan

some more updates. Starting to really take shape now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

started on the other side. Easier once you have one side already done. I will be making a template of the other side so it takes the same glass side to side, and looks the same. once this side is all tacked together, it is onto the catwalk. Get that piece made then all the major fab work is done. I have to have this done inside 3 more weeks. Guess I had better get to work!
    [​IMG]

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking very nice ! Gonna look very slippery when done :D

27. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

Very nice, keep up the good work.

Next up, a chopped crew cab. :)

28. choptvan

choptvan

That would be great!! Such a cool truck. The rear doors need to be squared out though. That front door as a rear door thing looks a bit goofy. But awesome truck nonetheless!

29. subMOA

subMOA

Man, you guys are gonna make me do it! I can see that from here! All I can say is- the roof is gonna be so low on the truck, I won't be able to wear a friggin' ball cap when driving it.

30. chris55

chris55

Damn! Should you feel bad when your car is used as the ugly one in a comparison? …..LOL

Nice job so far on the chop.