Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: How to convert a mallory yl dual points dizzy to electronic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tomcantdoit, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Hello tom here.... Thought id share some pictures I took while converting the distributor....its pretty damn easy too.

First things first get yourself a good useable mallory dual point distributor... Next order your self a petronix ignitor conversion kit pictures below... About 80 dollhairs

[​IMG]

Then select the tools you'll need for the job

[​IMG]

Then grab your distributor and inspect it...

[​IMG]

Then gently remove all the old dual points crapolla inside... Remember be gentle

[​IMG]

Once you have all that shiznit out you can install the petronix igntor and pull the writes through the existing hole

[​IMG]

ThenYou get the the supplied cup and press it on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then get your rotor and press that in, there is a spacer if you need it... I actually don't have the right one but just put it on for reference

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then reinstall the cap and your done

[​IMG]

If I can do it anyone can... Hope this helps

Tom

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. i converted since i really dont want a labor whore... i already had a whore with the ex :)

3. I got caught with a pink hammer in my hand once. :eek:

Well you done good. Wasn't so hard was it. Who says Tom Can't do it?

Now run a dummy wire from the trash can and no one will be any the wiser.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  4. lol yea thats my grandpa hammer he loved pink!!! the conversion was so easy i couldnt believe it, and thats what i plan on doing dummy wire and im done.

5. You willprobably need to sell that packard wire to someone. You should really run spiral wound wire with that setup, unless they have really changed it.

Hey I'm sorry about that rotor. I am the world's worst about checking stuff out until I am ready to use it. Look in the summit catalog for that aprt number and it should tell you what dizzy it fits so you can peddle or trade it to someone.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good info-nice garage

7. yea i was looking it up last night on my phone... ill sell the extra points, condensor and rotor... ill call mallory to see if i can use the packard wires if not sell sell sell:D

lol kinda looks like a kitchen;)

8. hotdamn

hotdamn

awesome! you just saved Jeffrey James $190!

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Why is it that I would want to change over to a electronic ignition? I just want my damn clip back from crackhead.

10. Just call Bubba, you'll get though faster and get relaible info.

Hell a couple of years ago mallory wouldn't sell me a lower bushing for my other old distributer. They said it took a pretty special machinist to install one. So I made my own bushing and installed it. Guess that wasn't in their book for special instructions. :rolleyes:

You need a cap clip for a mallory? Maybe thee is one on my vast collection of stuff that no one will ever need but I can convince myself to throw it out. Let me know if I need to get in and dig.

11. wisdonm

wisdonm

I installed an Ignitor back in '95. I love it. Never any problems. I gave up timing it years ago. It never changes. Now I'm considering installing an Ignitor III because it is a multiple spark and has a built in rev limiter, something I really need. All for only $118.

12. that is really good to know