Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 chev impala ss

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32-3 WINDOW, Jun 26, 2011.

1. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

well we picked up another project , hopefully i and one of my grandsons can round up the parts , im more into the 30s stuff, anyway its a 63 ss impala , a little ruff but we can move the rust for the worms to bed in , car has a 327/pg factory air , power , brakes and steering , the estate of a elderly couple she 82 he 90 and there grandson finaly gave up he had removed the emblems and saved as he heard rumors of them being lifted , car has some interior damage , as it was only under a canopy , but its fairly solid , if any of you could give a pointer or two on quarter panels replacements and maybe a grill, also would like to find a origanal carb and air cleaner , as they stated they updated it with a quad-jet please advise , ill check the sales listing also but i think it will be fun for the grandson to learn on and heck in a couple years he can take grandpa and grandma for a drink in it , thanks to all of you at the hamb and your freindship , thanks to the moderators for the cool site , 32-3 window

Attached Files:

2. billylo

billylo

Nice find....Impala Bobs is a good source. Just go to Google and type "Impala Bobs".

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like a good candidate to be restored to showroom condition. Nice find and a nice project.

4. sedanbob

sedanbob

'63 Impala was what I learned to drive on - one of my all time favorites! Nice find and great project with one of your grandsons.

5. slammed

slammed

For Sale? I wish! The stock color is cool. And speaking of drool, the console & bucket seat's.........

6. Sauli

Sauli

Wow! That is beautiful! I must say that original patina gives it quite a bit of character!
    Looks like an excellent car to learn on too, complete and "unmolested", as they say.
    If it was me overseeing the grandson´s work on it, I´d just start with "first things first"; brakes, fuel and spark. I´d make it a nice driver first, and leave the paint, body, upholstery (and any other similar major teardowns) for later...Might work best for keeping everyone motivated.
    Perhaps I´m missing something here, but I really don´t see any reason for tearing into a quarter panel on that car anytime soon. All I can see is some slight rust-through on the driver´s side rear wheel arch.
    The best pointer I´d have for dealing with that would be to cut out and replace the "soft" metal around the corroded area, (and what may be hiding behind it on the inside). Keep it at that. In other words, cut out and replace as little as absolutely necessary. No reason to swap out the full quarter from what I can tell.
    Good luck.

7. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

thanks for the comments and i also agree we will get it at driver status , it already drives , but brakes are weak , and exhast leaks etc , ill have him get it in the air and he can learn on wheel cylinders and seals , he has already stated he wants some of grandpas torque thrust , we will see whats in the rafters , i think it will be good education for him and keep him interested in the basic mechanics , and not leaning towards ipods and nintendos , hell we used to play tackle football in the roads , but that was years back , this car was real neat talking with the family , they traded a 55 210 wagon in on this for 750 and some change it is interesting seeing what they charged for options back then , thanks for all you comments

8. petebert

petebert

Great looking car, does it show anywhere what they traded in for $700?

9. Ricky B

Ricky B

Excellent find !!! Neat looking tissue box & 8-track !

10. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

it was the 55 210 wagon , shit i wish i had it in the stable also , its fun reading the options list , or add-ons , like around 9 bucks for floor mats

11. BadLuck

BadLuck

when i had my 63 SS, i got alot of my parts from here.. http://www.truckandcarshop.com/ good luck, thats going to be a nice ride when you're finished!

12. My grandmother had one exactly like that except hers had a white top. :sweet:

My dad had a '64 Impala 409/4 speed, and I had a Triple Red '64SS 409/4 speed.

Damn, I loved that car!

13. WornOutOldMan

WornOutOldMan
    from So Cal

Awesome find! I gotta bet you spent at least what that older couple paid when new? And oh yeah your grandson is one lucky kid!

14. SS350Sport

SS350Sport
    from Utah

I see it was purchased by a couple in Helper. I grew up in Dragerton, East Carbon. Was the car still in Helper. I now live in SLC and have a buddy that has a 64 SS 327 4 spd White/red interior rotting away in the back yard. That car is from Carbon County also. His ex brother in law has a cherry 54 2dr post (also from CC) I've also been trying to get for the last few years.

15. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

X2

They also sell excellent sheetmetals parts. As far as I remember, most of their parts are Made in The USA, too. :):):)

16. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

they origanaly were in helper then price and the errors to the estate lived in orangville so it was within a 35 mile raduius all it life , i found a other document , ill try posting a pic i think its saying like 1487 on assybly line , kinda neet dicecting the paper work , owners manual is like a run jane se spot book compared to the ones today

17. I restored my 1963 SS conv. in 1995. What's good about the 63 is the location of the body molding. I had to replaced the lower quarters on both sides. I made my splice connection under the molding line. Bask then as compared to today the after market quarters and lowers are poor quality. The edges and corners are not crisp. I know NOS tin c/b very expensive, however try the yards out west you can get rust free tin, check in Hemmings. This will save you $ down stream; remember that quarter is very long and you don't want to be looking at the waves when the SS is done. Nice project for the kids, good luck.

18. grapp

grapp

My second car was a 63 impala convert I'm partial Nice Score!~

19. Tony

Tony

Cool find!
    It look's SO much like my last 63 Impala! Mine was a barn find of sorts, same faded blue paint, and blue interior. Mine was an SS 327-300 4 speed car.
    I even put a set of old M/T 5 spokes on it ( look just like Torque Thrusts).
    Anyway, there are a LOT of suppliers for parts for these thing's..
    I've done a lot of business with Classic ind, along with Show cars.
    For interiors, UPI makes probably the best out there and i know a few places carry them. I redid the whole inside of my car and used the UPI stuff per the suggestion of a few local interior shops. Very happy with what i got.
    I just can't remember if i got it through Classic Ind or CARS..

I'm an Impala NUT 63's being my favorite.
    Right now i'm finishing a frame off on a 62 409, and will be starting my 63 409 next. I'm no expert, but i've had a number of them so if i can help out somehow shoot me a note. I will do my best and if i can't maybe i can point you in a direction that can.

Also, jump on the 348-409 message board, and Chevy talk. There are a lot of folks on there that really know a lot about these, especially places to get parts etc...

And i think it's GREAT you and your grandson will be doing it together!! :)

VERY cool car!!!

Tony

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  20. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

tony thanks for the help , and recomendations , looking thru your albums , man you have some neat ones thanks again , i will be needing some pointers so ill be p.m. ing you thanks

21. Tony

Tony

Thanks! I never even added the 2 current ones to the album.
    You're welcome, and feel free!
    That really is a slick car!
    Congrats again and keep us posted on the progress you and your grandson make.

Tony