Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Where are the Original first 500 HAMBers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTFuzz, Aug 29, 2009.

1. I have been here awhile. 568. Addictions come in many forms. That number don't seem right though. I see others with a later join date with a lower number. Am I looking in the right place?

2. Yup, mouse over shows 568:)

3. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I hung around for awhile til I got the number I really wanted...#1313

4. Steve

Steve

Those numbers don't even account for the previous incarnations of the HAMB, just this latest one the was started I guess 2001 timeframe.

5. And you got your number based on how soon you logged back into the new board. I had been on the board for over a year when the redo happened.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

including the email list. yeah we know. it's just what we have to go by...

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

just had my mind sorta blown figureing out that ive been misspelling shit on the HAMB for between 12-14 years. holy shit haha

8. Thinking back... I think the Roach Rod was the first complete build-up documented on the HAMB... I could be wrong... but I did posts on everything from the simple motor mounts (that someone said was too plain) the connected '36 wishbone that I got from C9 (I left the mailing addresses on them even after it was on the car and driving that he had written in sharpie)... I did a how to on the body, the trunk lid, the F-100 drum brake conversion, the nose, and aluminum grille... and of course the intake manifold... and paint... I think in 2001...

Anyone document a build earlier than that?

Sam

9. I think you were the first to finish... but there were a ton of partials and a couple coupes that were started however they were not finished in an expedient manner.

Bobbleed had a couple tech posts and I believe that there wasn't a budget build that was finished so quickly.

I remember laughing my ass off when you were doing doughnuts in that lot... shortly after that everybody was figuring out how to post videos and suddenly there were doughnuts were being filmed all over the world!

10. Woo Hoo!!! something else to watch you turkeys have a pissing contest over :rolleyes: I never thought I'd see the day when I'd see a bunch of mostly middle aged men sitting around saying, "mines smaller, that's good, right?"
    ROFL!!!

11. Speaking of which... it's "You're gonna be hangin' on for mercy when I get this sucker rollin'"
    ;D

Also... I know guys showed pics of their stuff... and what they were building... but I think some of mine were the first to say "How-to"...

At the time, I was teaching woodshop and writing a bunch of how-to sheets... so it was a natural to show everyone, step by step, how I built things.

BTW, anyone remember JustinM's pics of the spring plate he made for the RR? He came over and hung out for a couple of hours... and layed out four holes in the bracket... we laughed at that at the time. JustinM posted a lot in the early years, he had that chopped F-1 and is good friends with Jay Ward... always at the early Billetproof shows... I miss hanging out with him on the net and in person.

Sam

12. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I always liked the way you did the grille on the rr. I forget lots of stuff these days but that has stuck in my mind.

John

13. I gotta thank Sam for a fatefull telephone conversation we had about 8-10 years ago. I did not even have a camera but he told me that "you gotta post pictures" so people can see what your are doing and accomplishing. Otherwise you are just a talker. He made sense, even today there are tons of folks commenting on things and they don't even have a PROJECT let alone a completed car tehy built themselves. By documenting and posting pics you helped others, got ideas and feedback and most of all got motivation to keep at it so you can post the next little part you built! Pretty soon you have a hotrod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Greezy

Greezy

I always like(d) Sams build threads. Very thorough on the whys and what fors, and always budget minded. Keep em coming.

15. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

looking for the number at the bottom didn't work for me

what did work was clicked my user name top right next to Welcome, ZZ
    my number was above where it showed what your currently viewing

16. I'm # 334...Do I get a prize or something? We should put together a shirt or something to show off our long term commitment to style.

17. We did, Ryan printed them in 2001!:D

18. Fenders

Fenders

I was number 14 after Ken Olson, Stan, Shirley, Paul Green.....
    Oh wait, that was at Digital Equipment Corp in the 1950s....

19. Fenders

Fenders

Middle aged hell, we get senior citizen benefits !!

20. VespaJay

VespaJay

21. Well damn, that took long enough. My then 13 year old nephew corrected me on that when I first added it for a sig line about a year ago. I went to change it and he said lets see how long it takes some one to notice it.

22. av8

av8

I would guess I'm one of the 500, judging by my join date. No. 26 -- damn, I'm old.

Mike

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  23. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

I was 1 before I was 1. John Kerry

24. Mike, you are number 26, please post more.:)

25. I coulda' been a low# too... prison really sucks.

26. av8

av8

Not quite as far back as Justin's pics, Sam, but here are some remaining shots from the weekend you started the track nose for the RR. That was a good time. Too bad AR wasn't interested in the story. BTW, love the wheel treatment on the RR.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike
    A former middle-age man . . .

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Technically, my '38 was the first... I did the whole build through the email group and the final steps were featured on our first message board in and around 1996 or so? I think there were like 10 of us then.

Didn't the El Mosquito thing get built around the same time as your car Sam?

Also, there was a '32 roadster that went together really early. I don't remember who the hell built it though.

And then Rocky's '33 truck was pretty early too...

28. ratster

ratster

El Mosquito lol man that car sat up high. what ever happened to Mike? i think that was his name

29. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

And you posted a pix of a hotdog in a 'wood lathe'...haha...I still can't get the picture outta' my mind.

The Roach Rod was a cool build back in the day....& GERM helped (?) on it...haha....those days were not for the 'timid' & "The Knowbody's" could find you via the web within' 10 mins....I miss there "club" posts.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ.

30. Now I feel like I need to see the Mosquito but none of the old pics are showing up. There are some funny-assed comments about it however!