Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boondocks Dragway in Peoria, Ill ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straightaxle65, Mar 10, 2009.

1. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

A satelite photo was posted awhile back in the lost dragstrip thread that showed the remains of Boondocks Dragstrip in Peoria, Ill. It was said that it is west of town on Smithville Road.

Does anyone here know exactly where its at or have any approximate directions? I would like to try and find it when I am back in that area.

Thanks for any help!

2. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

3. mark 55

mark 55

Call my friend Lyle at (309) 453-5166. He has lived around Peoria all his life. Tell him Mark from Shreveport gave you his number.

4. 2alfa

2alfa
    from Michigan

I had never heard it called Boondocks DragWay but - If you take Smithville Rd west past Airport Rd and then past Cameron Ln you'll go thru a big "S" curve in about a mile. As you come out of the last curve there was a gravel lane that went north. Thats what led into the track. It was an 1/8 mile track with a short shutdown (dirt I think) and not much else. I used to go there from the early 60s until about 67-68. It wasn't much but it was the best we had. Biggest name I ever saw there - Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick with Mrs B's Grocery Getter (1962 Tempest Wagon with a 421).

5. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

I went there in 1966 to my first drag race. It is STILL there although somewhat grown over. When i took mny son out to see it in the winter of 2005 the asphault was actually in pretty good shape. WE took photos. If i can figure out how to post them i will!! Thanks,Joe

6. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

It was also called Greater Peoria Dragway

7. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

If you go there do not ask permission from the farmer that owns the land as he will not let you on there. If you get caught there he will only ask you to leave.

8. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

One of my older brothers raced there a couple of times, back when he was in high school, (about 1970 or so). The rear end in his 57 blew up there. He had brought along an extra center section. Unfortunately, he didn't take any extra 90 wt. gear lube, so he strained the old lube through his white t-shirt. Needless to say.....Mom was NOT pleased. :eek::eek::eek: Here's a pic of his 57, from back then, (it was taken at Midstate Dragway in Havana ILL).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here is a program from Boondocks Dragway from 1971.

Attached Files:

10. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

More pages from Boondocks 1971 program.

Attached Files:

11. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

More pages. :D

Attached Files:

12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Still more pages.

Attached Files:

13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Yeah.....Still some more pages.:eek::eek::eek:

Attached Files:

14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Last one. Whoo, Hoo. :D:D:D

Attached Files:

15. Bikesnow

Bikesnow
    from Illinois

I just joined this group thanks to my neighbor. This thread brings back memories of bygone years.
    I ran at Peoria numerous times in the early 60`s
    The `strip" if you want to call it that, certainly got your attention. Line locks were not yet avalable so in order to slack out of the driveline you had to hold slight brake pedal since you were starting up hill. Shut down, another story! Down hill grade with only about 2-300 ft of asphalt than dirt and steeper down grade. At the end of the 1/8 mile+ shut off the road turned hard right. Miss the turn and kiss your a** goodby, deep ditch and incline on the other side. They changed all that after a few years because of several hard crashes.
    Now to answer the original question. The original entrance was off SR116 1 mile west of SR8 junction. Turn south for two miles. Turn right and go about half to 3/4 mile. Strip was on the left about 1/8 mile maybe less. That old entrance may be all housing now?
    Thanks for bringing this up Gentelmen!

16. Buzz Stoner

Buzz Stoner
    from Il.

I also raced at this track in 1960s-70s I loved that place I had the most fun of my early hot rod days there. I would love to see it restored, but People in Peoria County would never let it happen. They would be afraid of the noise, traffic, and just the general idea of racing.

17. Buzz Stoner

Buzz Stoner
    from Il.

Thank you torkwrench I really dig seeing the program, and have filled out the class registration form you have pictured , any other stuff you have I would love to see.

18. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

You're welcome. It's interesting to read through it. The ads are pretty cool, too. Yeah....Davis Bros. Pizza, is still my favorite. :D:D:D

Actually, the program is my older brother's, and I think that is all that he has from Boondocks Dragway. Doesn't even have any pics from there, unfortunately.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  19. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Coordinates for Boondocks/Greater Peoria are 40.670573,-89.75606. You can put them in Google Maps and take a look. Old tracks fascinate me. Thanks for posting the program, Torkwrench, love the ads and articles. This kind of stuff fascinates me, too.

KRH

Attached Files:

20. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I have lived in the Peoria area my entire life and I have never heard of this dragstrip. Thanks for posting the info and pictures. It's a shame to see it rot away. It would be cool if they would allow some folks back there for sight seeing.

Very interesting stuff.

21. Zaq

Zaq

Ive also heard the farmer that owns the land is an old grouch. So dont ask him, just go back there. I live about 10 miles or less from here, still never made a trip, dont feel like makin the hassle with the guy.

22. 504640

I pulled this from the Retro Peoria, FB site.
    It proves Gartlis would run anywhere!
    Below is the photo caption from Retro Peoria:
    Boondocks Dragway, Peoria, Ill. early ‘70s: Two Top Fuel dragsters, that in the ‘60s were Champions at Tri State Dragway, are Don Garlits and the ‘Pink Panther’ of Schwartzbaugh & Curtis from nearby Canton, Ill. (Photo from the Bill Curtis collection) Boondocks Gartlis Schwartzbaugh and Curtis.jpg

23. ...buddy of mine bought this 36 awhile back, it raced at Boondocks dragway. Boondocks was the nickname for this Peoria track...this 36 is as raced back in 56 or so...not running at this time.
    glenn allen visit 6-15-20 019.jpg glenn allen visit 6-15-20 020.jpg glenn allen visit 6-15-20 021.jpg glenn allen visit 6-15-20 022.jpg

24. Old Buzzard

Old Buzzard

Just found this Thread!
    I was one of the original flag men at the track.
    Ray Franco and I shared the duties.
    We poured the starting line with a portable mixer.
    My first car, a 55 Chevy 210, aka the "Party Pad" was well known around the Peoria street scene.
    I have been gone from Peoria for over 40 yrs, but still try to contact any of the old timers I can.
    I have an early program and pics of the track as it is/was recently.
    Anyone wanting to contact me, I'm Chuck Leeper.
    Text me at 770-265-5144

Attached Files: