Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blown bangers (Model A/B)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Jun 25, 2011.

1. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

After searching on here for the better part of a day, i havent found much info on blown bangers. Its kinda surprising, but at the same time its not. I was scrounging on youtube yesterday and came cross this video (which y'all have probably seen) http://youtu.be/LQ4nZsddCmY ,and it raised some interest. I know there are a few HAMBers who have blown bangers, and maybe a few more that would like to.

If anyone would like to pass along tech info on the engines, pictures of blown A or B bangers, pictures of blower manifolds, and what types of blowers that you are using....it would be appreciated by myself and hopefully others.

Hopefully this thread can be a good source of tech info for those of us with a soft spot for our 4 bangers.

2. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

can anyone id the blower in the video......scots or eaton?

3. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

4. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

shoulda read the comments better when I watched it. Wonder where the heck you would find one, and what the specs would be. Thinkn a eaton would be the easier to adapt....plus certain models of M62 and M90 have a scots appearance in a way. Really wish there was more info on this topic...

5. oldsman41

oldsman41

why not go with modern turbo ford 4 banger alot cheaper

6. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

not my thing....trying to get info for adding a supercharger (roots or centrifugal) to an A 4 banger. Turbo's werent widely used in production vehicles till the 60's.....engine will be going into a future lakes modified A.

7. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Holy crap. Can't believe the rpms he gets out of that banger.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQ4nZsddCmY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQ4nZsddCmY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

8. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I know right.....this got my interest re-sparked again in doing something to mine. Wish this guy was on the HAMB.....would like to know more about the blower, and engine specs.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You could contact Don Ferguson at Paramont Forge. He makes the current Ardun kits fir V8s and I think one of the Wayne type 12 port GMC heads. I understand he is making Scott blowers updated somewhat to current standards.

10. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

11. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I sold a Graham supercharger to a guy building an A speedster recently. That would be cool. I have two of the supercharger sections from them,. The gear box and drive has been cut off. I guess someone could make a belt drive for it.

13. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

You know the saying- If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand!

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

The modern ones make it so much harder to spread the parts over all creation. :( :D

And what 38 Flattie said.

15. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Can you post a few pics?

16. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Is that a Italmeccania blower? Italmeccania was later on SCOT.

17. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Looks like it might be a Volumex

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Quick search these were the first I saw.

Attached Files:

19. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

we run our turbocharged flathead banger at bonneville and have a best one way pass of 155 mph. the first problem you're going to find is that flathead a's/b's never run right... never. the siamesed intake ports mean that two cylinders are always going to run rich and two are always going to run lean. this is true when the engine is naturally aspirated and it only gets worse as you get into boost. i'm guessing the only blown flathead bangers that live for any length of time are probably running very little boost (1-2 psi at most) and the boost in power is probably little to none. i'd say in most cases a blown flathead banger is mostly for looks.

it doesn't sound like you're going to go with a turbo but i'll let you know anyways that turbos are worse than blowers because they add so much more heat to the exhaust side of things. we found out the hard way that we needed a huge a/r turbine housing to prevent the motor from burning down. these motors were never intended to take this kind of heat and really have little way to dissipate it all and really bad things start to happen.

keep in mind this is all concerning stock two port flathead bangers, not overheads. if you ran a four port ohv conversion and added a blower you'd be golden and could probably make some real power but you'll quickly find the power limit of a stock 3 main crank.

so either way you're damned if you do and damned if you don't and it's always a losing game.

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What if someone was willing to help with the cost of a two up two down crank and cam? I have to wonder how that would run. Should take care of the rich/lean situation. don't know how it would effect the crank on the ground deal. Like to find out on your motor.

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

oldskoolflyer13, I think the correct response would be " HELL YES!"

22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Rich,
    It is a good thought, but an expensive proposition.

Winfield did it in the twenties with great success, but it vibrated something horrible !!!!!!

Here is one of Winfield's cranks:

[​IMG]

You could also do a special reverse induction cam, ground so that the exhaust became the intake and intake ports were now exhaust.
    But that wouldn't work on the street because the siamesed exhaust ports would get too hot.

I would say that it would be better to modify the block to split the intake ports and convert it to a 4 port block.

Like this:
    (The head is a different story)

[​IMG]

23. Define "blown".

Sam

24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

This might be him:
    Magnus B

25. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is a turbo set up that runs at the Antique Nats. I think it runs 12's @120mph.

[​IMG]

26. Rich,

I've been wanting to do this with my Chevrolet 4 for a while- Winfield's 2 up 2 down is one of my favorite engines/stories!

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I wrote that it was in response to Nate's post about rich/lean running on Siamese cylinders. As Nate and his dad are people with whom I am familiar and I know the car they run by sight, it would work well if they were interested in an experiment. They are relatively close and I could go to the lakes and watch it disassemble itself or whatever.

28. nexxussian

nexxussian

Beef Stew, what about a reverse pattern cam like the Old Crow team was talking about a year or two ago?

Could you coat the siameese ports and keep the heat load down that way?

Or would water injection be a better route.

I figure someone that is racing them would have a better idea.

29. Niklas sweden

Niklas sweden

Thats My blown model à coupster with à Old airplane cabin blower, i made the front drive and drive it throw à wv generator.
    It runs great and the rpm i fantastik.
    I have problem with the sparks when the blower is charging, im going to change to 12volt.
    The engine is à stock b.
    Im going to change the carb to à slingshot intake on the blower and run two super 97.