Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Great project! I like those trucks!

2. My truck is a little bit lighter than Almond but darker than Ivory. On the interior I just shot Almond. On the exterior I shot plenty of Ivory on to get covered then the last coat add enough Almond while the Ivory is still wet. It's easy to see the color match when you're spraying right next to the original paint.

Pretty much everything I paint gets stripped, otherwise I'd been done long ago. The good thing is now I have everything big, stripped and painted.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  3. hotdamn

hotdamn

na I think you misunderstood me bro, clearing, like spraying a coat or two of clear on it after you paint?

4. Dave K

Dave K

Cool project keep the pictures coming

5. I was reading cleaNing not cleaRing.... I'm old.

I don't like clear coat. Too hard to repair if something happens. I use PLENTY of paint and rely on the old fashioned method of waxing.

Been doing stuff for other people the last few days and not much time for my project.

I did get some seat belts mounted. What a fiasco that was.

Plan A:
    Had some early 1960's blue belts saved but after looking they were in too bad of shape plus no retractors..

Plan B:
    Had a set of nice black belts w/ retractable shoulder harness from an 80's S10. Made sure they worked properly, cleaned them up and installed. Well.... The seat in the F1 is about 10" taller from the floor than an S10 seat is. The shoulder harness wouldn't retract with the lap pulled out far enough to latch. I was pissed... They landed out in the driveway.

Plan C:
    Back to the parts stash... 68-72 Chevy pickup lap belts only.... I was able to use the same holes in the floor from the S10 belts. Worked perfectly and have retractors so the belt isn't always getting caught in the door.

I'll keep an eye out for something with a shoulder harness since I've already drilled for it.

2011 05 27 seat 7.JPG

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  6. shadams

shadams

Love the radio hidey hole. That was awesome. The whole thing just kicks ass. Keep up the good work...

7. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

how easy was it to "alter" the 8-track player to fit the cd player?

8. I entirely gutted it. Biggest thing to look for is that there's enough room inside the case for your selected CD player. This is the 2nd one I've done. My '51 F1 rodent rod had one too.

Here's a thread on 8-track in that one.
    http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378633&highlight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Man I love this. I'm going to end up doing something similar with my ole truck. Thanks for giving me a few ideas.

10. Invicta

Invicta

This truck is looking sweet

11. Opinions needed:

I'm cleaning up my 2nd set of wheels that I'll trade off with the chrome wheels for a different look. The 'stock' wheels are 53-56 F100 and are 15"X5".

Ford wheels 1.jpg

I'll be using some 2-1/2" wide whites for tires that are 'sanded' whitewalls so the whitewall falls about 3/4" short of making it to the rim center.

Also have a set of 40's-50's Mopar beauty rings that I'm thinking about running. They fit well with the original style hubcaps. Not really sure I like the look, maybe a little fancy for an old truck. Kinda need to decide before the rims are painted as the rings will scratch the paint during installation.

0 77 1.jpg

0 77 2.jpg

Also trying to decide wheel color:
    In 1948 F1's came with black wheels but I'm not restoring. In 1949 they came with body color wheels which I leaning towards. Also thinking about the same Navy blue as I used on the interior.

RED IS NOT AN OPTION.

These are the stock F1 caps but they're beat and I'll be running the 1948? car caps shown earlier.
    0 77 3.jpg

12. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I am loving this build! Great job on the interior, I may steal an idea or two for mine.

13. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

That's rad man keep up the good work

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Go body color on the wheels.

15. That's 2 votes for body color. (3 including mine)
    I'm painting 'em this Sunday evening.

Get yer vote in.

16. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

NAVY. It'll look killer on this build!

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Uhh...the " '48 " caps you showed are actually 1946 Super DeLuxe. (my favorites also, BTW) The Ford 'pickup cap' you showed in that last thread is the same type as a '48 Passenger car.
    Supreme thread! I also have an F1. A friend gave it to me, to go with my '47 Ford Sedan.
    Nothing wrong with rattle cans, beats all the prep work prior to gun-painting if you're not "set up". I can do it, but the rattle cans get it done with none of the 'paint shop ills'.
    I'm putting my shop up as we speak, plan on a 'portable spray booth' that can be taken down when not in use.
    Rustoleum to the Rescue!

6-bangertim likes this.
  18. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

I'd go with the Navy Blue on the wheels as in the interior. Makes a nice contrast to the exterior and ties the details together. Not a big fan of the wide Mopar beauty rings. I think just a set of standard rings would look good.

19. I probably won't use the Mopar rings. I compared the caps I'm going to use with the rings but the rings and caps are a different color of stainless. I'm going to keep an eye open for a set really narrow, old style rings that leave the edge of the wheel exposed.

20. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Have a set of rings like that on my F1. Didn't really think much of 'em at first, but they grew on me. ;)

21. My brake stuff arrived from RockAuto yesterday.
    RockAuto ROCKS!
    Might start on that stuff tomorrow morning.

Worked on the panel above the grill, that's between the fenders last night. As usual... started cleaning it up a little bit, next thing I knew, it's stripped and I'm banging out the worst of the dents. (I'm not a body man!) but got that piece painted and ready to go.

The "FORD" letters that bolt to that same panel were pitted pretty bad. I filed off the tits, pits and the remainder of the chrome. Gave them a rattle can rebuild with some of the same hammered paint as the grill. They don't look great but do look better. I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Voting on the wheels so far:
    3 votes Almond body color
    2 votes Navy blue interior color

Back out to the garage for a couple more hours, then gotta head to a party for a friend of Mrs. Lowkat.

22. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I'll go for the navy on the wheels and make it a tie, it's up to you anyways!
    Great budget build, my favorite kind!

23. Put me down for Almond

24. I'm leaning toward blue also, contrast is good.....how about painting up one of each color just to see how they look?

I went thru the same thing on my truck, tried dark blue and body color. Didn't like either.....finally painted them silver! I like em....

25. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Truck is coming along, Keep up the good work...

26. 48flthdf1

48flthdf1

Amazing Job, I have a Basket Case 48 F1 setting beside my Garage...You Have really inspired me to start getting after it...I will keep watching for future progress...Great Work

27. OK voting on the wheel color was a tie.
    Called in Mrs LowKat for the tie breaker.

0 88 1.jpg

28. This weekend's progress:

Paint rims and install tires.
    (cheapo junkyard tires with good tread that I sanded into wide whitewalls)

Install new wheel cylinders and rubber lines.
    (the shoes and drums were new in 1982 and never used)

Installed front shocks I had a near new set of Gas Riders.
    (68-72 Chevy 1/2 ton PU rears fit perfect)

Pulled off dented running boards.
    (they were early '48 that also bolt to the frame)

Started pulling the boards off the 2nd truck to swap but they needed torched/ground.
    (gonna have to pull it out of the now brown grass to finish)

#2 1948 F1 a.JPG

Got hood hinges installed.

Made and welded new posts on battery tray for the hold-down.

Started to mount battery tray then figured it was too close to exhaust manifold.

Switch battery tray to passenger side with small modifications.

Move the wiring associated with moving the battery tray.

Painted small parts for hood release catch and installed parts in the header panel.

Prep half of the underside of the hood for paint. (ran out of time)
    (I'll probably finish prep and paint the underside tonight)

29. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

You are my hero! I'm coming for that 8-track player... :rolleyes:

30. Here's the before and after on the grill header panel

0 91 1.jpg

0 91 2.jpg