Register now to get rid of these ads!

blown up sir

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Jun 22, 2011.

1. rougebeats

rougebeats

"Whats that noise coming from the mill"? "I dont know, floor it and see if it goes away". :p

350 sbc is tried and true......with oil in it.

fauj likes this.
  2. Bigjake

Bigjake

I once saw an SBC so hot the block and heads themselves were glowing a faint orange. I've seen many others get hot but never another block actually glowing.

3. Deuces

Deuces

I took a close look at those pictures and noticed it was rebuilt once before.. Notice how clean it is??? Plus it's got a forged steel crank which can be saved by welding up all the jounals and re-ground them too stock specs... Well, at least we know it's been heat treated!... :eek::rolleyes:

4. that's what the Ramchargers called a "Seasoned" block - you can make more power with it becuase they hold their dimensions better once remachined and they seal better - less bore distortion etc.

Pretty tough way to do it though . . .

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  5. In high school I worked at a gas station near a major highway. One day a '59 Ford came in, knocking so loud I could hear him coming from a long way off. The driver said something went "bang" a couple of miles back so he kept on driving until he found a gas station. When I opened the hood I almost laughed - it was a six cylinder and there was a hole in the side of the block you could stick your fist through, and you could look in and see the remains of the bottom end. Some people are just so stupid, and not just then but today too. I've seen cars with the hood hinges seized because nobody every opened it to check anything. Like somebody said earlier, "pay me now, or......"

6. Andy

Andy

I used to car pool with another engineer. He had a LTD, maybe 10 years old. It used oil. He did not believe in putting any in as it would just burn it up. We were trying to get to work one morning and the light was on and the lifters were clicking. I asked if he was going to stop and get some oil. He said he was going to teach it a lesson. I suggested we put some oil in or we would be walking. It got one quart and we made it.
    Even knowledgable people are stupid.

7. GlenC

GlenC

I had a call from a daughter one night...

"Dad, the oil light's come on, what do I do?"
    "Ah, switch the engine off to start with... Now where are you".?"

Drove out to her with a gallon of oil from the servo, not a trace of oil on the dipstick, and even the full gallon only brought the oil halfway up the stick. Turned it on, and away she went, (little Hyundai girlie car) but she didn't learn her lesson, because she did exactly the same thing to it 12 months later. These days I check her car myself.

Cheers, Glen.

8. My old girlfriend managed to blow up a slant six in the Scamp I bought her just before she left me - check the oil, what's that?

9. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I don't know but I've been told,
    Check your oil or you'll be towed.
    Sound off
    Sound off

scotty t and Revived 265 like this.
  10. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

That pretty much sums up my biggest gripe with some people. You can expose them to important information, but you can't make them use it.

11. knowing how tough the sbc is when after draining the little bit of oil out and finding it stuck, my plan was to put oil in it get it loose and get it running till we could locate an engine. even though iv'e seen it done in the past this engine wouldn't budge. i took the pan down and found what we see here. to get it turning so i could remove the torque converter bolts i had to loosen all the mains, all the rod caps, and remove the two front caps [with an air chisel]. to fix this engine i'm guessing, a crank and all the rods minimal, and boil the block out. any other suggestions?

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If I had a nickle for every one of those I've seen when I ran my old shop for over 20 years, I know I would have over a dollar in nickles.:(
    "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink":rolleyes:

Frank

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  13. [​IMG]

14. Ya just can't fix STUPID!!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah! You might have to spend all day getting the block line honed.. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  16. the auction he bought it at [BJ] stated it was a fresh rebuild and as Dueces noted it appears to have been. the motor did not leak a drop but according to the customer it "puffed" a little smoke.

17. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I was able to tell by the numbered "stamped" dimples in the rod caps... Chevy never did that.. They might have stamped numbers 1-8 on them years ago, but then again I could be wrong...

18. Deuces

Deuces

They probably used cheap rings an' valve seals to assemble the motor with.. :rolleyes: Oh well!

19. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

That engine is now for Barnacle Bill the sailor!

20. Thanks for that useless comment. You're cool.

21. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

22. 1320/150

1320/150

You, my friend!! receive the douchebag of the day award!!! Congrats!!!

bigbore1934 likes this.

23. stone cold waste of a 4 bolt chevy:mad:

24. where should i get a replacement? gm performance? jegs? big als toy box?

25. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

what a useless contribution you made....

zzford likes this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

If the customer is shelling out the sheckles, get it from the Chevy dealer!.. With a warrenty!!

27. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Guess that "Engine Restore" stuff wouldn't help right about now?That is sickening looking at those pics of the carnage?

Like that guy's sig reads on here,"It ain't yours if it don't make you dirty?"
    I'm heading out to nut and bolt mine and check fluids...

28. Deuces

Deuces

Don't ferget to use a torque wrench!!! :rolleyes:

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Time to put a good GM motor in it like a 472 or 500 caddy.

30. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

This guy could have benefitted from my grandfathers wisdom. He told my dad he didn't care how far he drove without gas but please don't drive without oil. Of course that was passed down to me by my dad!

pat59, volvobrynk and scotty t like this.