Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gettin it out of long term storage since 1976

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bcowanwheels, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Wow.

It looks like I'm the only one who suggested changing them anyway, so your post is aimed squarely at me...therefore I'll respond in kind.

Don't see anywhere in my post where I "ragged" on the lights...or said a thing about them not being traditional....:rolleyes: They look out of place to me- that's it. No more, no less. But it's his car, so he can certainly keep them...or, if he wants to switch them to 2011 Subaru taillights, he can do that too. Not my business, my money, or my car. As I said, more power to him for resurrecting it. I specifically didn't say anything about the fiberglass Cal Automotive body, for the exact reason you stated- it is "period correct" for that time.

Thanks for your unneeded history lesson, and for hijacking the thread. Go fuck a beehive.

2. jmpenny

jmpenny

Very nice, This is my "before I die" car, looking forward to seeing more of it

3. :) all smiles here

4. Cymro

Cymro

Interesting, these T's were the Holy Grail when I was a kid,

5. Wow. Pretty fuckin' thin-skinned, aren't ya??? How did I "hijack" the thread again, just curious???:p Your last sentence there was wholly unnecessary.

6. jipp

jipp

i love buckets. this one sure has some history.. look forward to more pictures.

7. 94hoghead

94hoghead

and here we go..........

8. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

EASY FELLAS Lets all get along. things was so much different back in the 60's compared to today. all we had basically was what we could scrounge up. the cal automotive body was the first fiber glass body made and the mold was pulled off a original t-model body with exception to the custom dash and the roll pan added on the rear bottom of the body. i had some original cowl lmps i was going to add light sockets in for the rear but they was so nice I couldnt bring myself to modify them. the fronts still have wicks in them alls needed to make them work is some lamp oil !!!!

9. jipp

jipp

thats how i plan on building my T this fall/spring. should be real intresting considering ill probably be in another country.. so ill be using anything i can get my hands on.. iv never been one to follow trends, i did come into style once during the 90s.. laughs, yeah i grew up wearing flannel T shirts then all sudden rich kids were spending 50 bucks for a flannel i would pay 5.00 for.. trends sure are silly. i was born in 74 so yeah.. rock on..

10. Note: the following is a hijack...

Thin-skinned? (shrugs) Dunno. Maybe. As I said, I was the only one who said anything about changing the lights, so, yeah, it seemed directed at me. Everyone else was content to say that they would keep the lights, but then you took it a step further, and yes, I took it as critical, sure did. Go back and read it from my point of view. Obviously you felt slighted by my reply, so perhaps we both are. ;)

As far as them being traditional...as I said- I think it's completely cool that he is bringing it out of storage. I personally like Ts and may get around to owning one someday. That being said, there are some things that get kept in the name of tradition that (IMHO) maybe shouldn't be. I have to be honest- there are at least two "traditional" things I can't stand- E & J headlights, and the radiator placement on Milner's coupe. Those are my thoughts, others may vary. :)

"If" we were always traditional here, by strict definition of the rules, this car wouldn't even be allowed on the board, for a number of reasons: fiberglass, 302 Ford, & so on. It reflects the times in which it was built, namely, 1968, which is not "strictly speaking" the focus of this board. That being said, there's not a person who clicked on this thread that wouldn't be pleased as hell to discover this in a barn & resurrect it, myself included.

As someone pointed out, he built it with his father, so the taillights should stay in their opinion. I completely respect that- I have an OT vehicle that was my grandfathers' which I have many happy childhood memories of, and so I plan to restore it with a weird camper top & outdoor carpet in the bed. No sense to others, but it works for me. Besides, he said he was keepin' 'em anyway.

As far as the last two sentences: if you disagreed with my opinion, you could have simply said "keep the taillights" as others did. ;) You brought up the fiberglass, which hadn't been previously discussed, and yeah, I felt that you made a mountain out of a molehill. The OP was trying to show his car and it seemed that you wanted to take a swing at me. Fair enough.

At this point I'm done with discussing it on this thread, 'cause like I said, it's about his car, not our thin skins. I'm old enough to get easily bored with Internet pissing matches, anyway. If you want to continue, then we ought to take it to PM...or we can duel with Monty Python swords...or I can fly to OK and we can have a shootout at 20 (?) paces...or buy each other a beer.

OP, sorry about the hijack...back to the thread in progress.

11. leadhead51

leadhead51
    from ontario

can't wait for a full pic outside,that thing is neat

12. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Also gettin this out of storage ! Been in long term storage since 1978. This was me in 1974. hee hee

Attached Files:

13. derpr

derpr

what have you been doing for the last 30 years

14. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

started and ran a trucking business. it litterally took my life for that time. now I,am a old man and doing my bucket list !!!!!!

15. jmpenny

jmpenny

Any updates on the progress, I was really hoping to see more of it

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Interested in more info and pics!

Subscribed!

17. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I'd like to see the time capsule come to life......

18. Clevername

Clevername

That's a cool ride man. You musta been knee deep in Bitches!

19. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

been contintrating on my harley, getting my chrome redone. they sure are slow and expensive. when i have more progress to show i,ll for sure post up pic's fellas.
    bob

20. cseay1949

cseay1949
    BANNED
    from Elkwood VA

70's style hot rods have got to be the next "nostalgia trend" .. the backlash against the 1980's monochromatic or neon graphic-laden cars that were smoothed to the point of being unrecognizable lumps came in the form of going back to how they did it in the '40's and '50's .. then you started seeing some '60's style stuff and gassers .. I know the thought of a 70's hot rod with a high stance, shag carpet, Mustang or Vega tail lights, square headlights, and tires sticking out the fender painted Bass Boat Blue or Root Beer Brown makes some people ill, but as a child growing up in the late 70's early 80's these were the cars that made me beg may parents to buy me a car mag .. i say restore it to the way you and your dad built it, to relive the memories of why it was so special to you .. good luck with the resurection!

21. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

back in the 60's there was no such thing as aftermarket parts with the exception of fiberglass bodies just comming on the scene. you had to go junkyardin to find your parts. now with scrap going so high and yard owners scared about somebody sueing them those days are gone and will never be back sorry to say.