Register now to get rid of these ads!

62-65 Superstock Mopars picture thread..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caseyajones, Mar 24, 2008.

1. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Max I remember when you first posted some old dusty photos of your 63 on Moparts years ago. Do I remember right that you've had Bob George working on the car since then? It sure looks great hanging the wheels now!

2. max-maniac

max-maniac

Bob George did the cage and installed the rear end and ladder bar set up. Best Machine put together the short block and my friend Dave is the one who assembled it all and came up with the combination to get it all to work together. It will get better as we tweak it.

Russ

3. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Wait, something other than chopped model A's on the HAMB? :D
    Great thread, grew up watching these run at the Gatornationals, Dan Dvorak and some others. Time to go dig up some pics.

4. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Love the way this car looks right here. The paint is cool as hell. Slots on the front and cragars on the back old goodyears too cool man:cool:

No doubt:D

5. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

I'm loving the pics of that '63 Dodge from when it was dusted off. That is EXACTLY the "feel" that I am aiming for with my '63 Dodge! Thanx for posting!

6. cootieman

cootieman
    from tennessee

Doug Greenfield from Clarksville Tennessee in the T-Bolt. Jenkins & Winn Ford still in business. Thanks for the great pics CJ.

7. cowboyindustries

cowboyindustries

Hemi dodge

Attached Files:

8. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Right now all I can afford are slot cars. Here are 4 from Auto World:

[​IMG]

Here on the turquoise one I used an original from the 60's Aurora ThunderJet 500 chassis and some aftermarket aluminum wheels with silicone slicks on the rear:

[​IMG]

And then the last release and these:

[​IMG]

Now I need some decals to finish them properly. If I have the correct 1/24 scale model kit decals I may be able to scan them and reduce them to fit.

Marty
    Marysville, OH

9. COOOL thread! Thanks for the photos!

I was fortunate enough to help deliver the "Virginia Gentleman" SS car that a friend of mine owns to another friend's shop to (finally) get the bodywork and paint started. Does anyone have any historical photos of this car that they can share so that my friend can get the lettering and decals back to the way that they were in the 60's? He has a few B&W shots, and most of them are torn from magazines and they're small and grainy. Deciphering the colors of the lettering & decals is impossible, as you would imagine.

I was also fortunate enough to talk to Larry Griffith and Gary Ostrich quite a bit when I worked at Mopar City. I never met Gary face to face, but we've talked for hours on the phone and you couldn't have ever talked to a nicer guy! I felt like I knew him my entire life! I also got to meet Ronnie Sox at the Monster Mopar Weekend in St. Louis and have a funny story to tell from that meeting if you care to hear it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  10. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

please tell.

Marty
    Marysville, OH

11. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

here is a large and grainy scan of a photo from a magazine (looks like it was first emailed by Bob Plumley, so h/t to him)

Attached Files:

12. AWESOME, thank you!!! We're going to keep on digging and hope that we can find some more! THANK YOU again!

The Ronnie Sox story: When I worked for Mopar City back in the 90's, my boss, Larry Pontnack, knew ALL of the famous racers from the late 60's early 70's (Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick lived about 20 minutes away, Herb McCandless and Larry were on the phone at least once a week giving each other hell and joking around, Ron Colson (drove the Chi-Town Hustler FC for a while) would stop by for lunch at least once a month, Gary Ostrich and Larry Griffith were close friends of Larry's, Ted Spehar of Motown Missle fame...) Larry and I treated them all like regular guys and we all had a blast hanging out together.
    We set up at the Monster Mopar Weekend in St. Louis in about 1995 and as Larry and I were walking around the track looking at the show cars we noticed a crowd around this beautiful Sox & Martin Plymouth Duster... As we get closer, we hear someone speaking in their cool North Carolinian drawl as they pointed out a big dent in the inner fenders; "Yep. I remember when we had to bang on that fenderwell right there to get the headers to fit!" My boss Larry, leans over the sandy blonde haired guy's shoulder and says in a rather loud voice "You never drove anything THIS nice and pretty! This car was a shitbox when you drove it and you know it!!!" I was MORTIFIED that my boss was busting on this guy's beautiful race car AND the guy who claimed to have put the engine in it, but before I could react Ronnie Sox spins around laughing and says "Yeah Larry, you're right!!! We never drove anything THIS nice! We didn't care what they looked like; we just wanted them to GO FAST!"
    After that, my wife, Larry and I got to walk around the track with Ronnie for about an hour and I am still amazed at what a nice and "regular guy" that he was. As soon as we got back to his trailer he pulled out a chair for my wife and offered us water and made us feel like we were the special ones.
    Ted Spehar was the same way. When he and his lovely wife visited Mopar City (an engine & chassis shop up front, and a huge salvage yard for old Mopar musclecars out back) he actually got embarassed when I asked for his autograph and politely refused. He said "Man, I'm just some guy who got lucky and got to do all of this stuff. You don't want my autograph!" His wife insisted on touring the muddy salvage yard even though she had on suede high heels! She said that she loved muscle cars and what they had allowed her and Ted to do in their lives.
    Both Ronnie and Ted really left an impression on me. Both were truly humble, NICE people that I'm extremely glad that I had the opportunity to meet. Sad to hear that Ronnie passed a few years ago.

13. dart165

dart165

Not a s/s but a 426 wedge 4spd anyway... (one of my fathers)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is gonna be a shot in the dark, but if anyone has any pictures of a 62 plymouth runnin the Flying Dutchman colors, I'd love to see em. My old man bought that car (or at least one of em if there were more than one) in northern NJ with a piston through the block before he went away to the service in the mid 60's. Was a stage III 413 with a crashbox 3 speed if I remember correctly. While he was in the service, his brother crashed it and waffled one fender and dented the hood, and thinking that the damage was too much to knock out, he swapped the whole nosed off of a yellow cab, and threw away the all alluminum nose that was on it... lol.

I'll dig up the pictures of it while my father had it if I can find em. So far as I know he later sold it to a patterson cop who swapped in a 440 from a 68 charger, then ...who knows. I imagine the car's still out there somewhere... though with all of the pedigree goodies long since removed, makes ya wonder if the current owner knows exactly what it is.

14. mosher

mosher

'65 Hemi Coronet built for a customer in Washington

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      302.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      265.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      277.6 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      284.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      335.2 KB
      Views:
  15. mosher

mosher

'64 Dodge 330 Race Hemi built for a customer locally

Attached Files:

16. mosher

mosher

'63 Savoy Wedge

Attached Files:

17. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

What a great thread!

18. mosher

mosher

'64 Savoy Wedge

Attached Files:

19. If I win the lottery, you will be the first person to know!

20. PrimeEvil

PrimeEvil
    from N Utah

21. mosher

mosher

The car in the fourth photo was built for Mel Winters about ten years ago. The third photo is of Jack Goodrich's factory 4-speed 426 Hemi. The vehicle in the second photo appears to be a very unfortunate circumstance.

22. I have to agree! Mosher, they're beautiful!!!

23. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

some from the hot rod reunion

Attached Files:

25. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

No idea where this photo came from, was looking around and stumbled upon it. Thought with the truck it'd fit in on the HAMB well

Attached Files:

26. max-maniac

max-maniac

If the stars align right I will be there racing my 63

Russ

27. I want one of everything in the background!!! (And in the foreground too!) I love that old Dodge / DeSoto wagon!

28. 4tford

4tford

My 64ply

Attached Files:

29. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Another original A990 car that's still winning. This is the fifth NHRA National event win for this car, albeit the first one in 25 years. Article/pictures from the July 15, 2011 edition of "National Dragster".

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

30. Tim Richards, now Ron Capps crew chief, in action at Pocono Drag lodge.

Attached Files: