Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hold on to your Craftsman tools...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Deuces

Deuces

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They already sell Craftsman tools in other places somewhat and if they already sell them at KMart so I'd think if Sears went under they would move the Craftsman line to Kmart or maybe have stand alone Craftsman stores. I think that the tool sections of Sears are probably as solid or more solid then they have ever been but the rest of the store is a gamble on what the "buyers" picked and if they have the latest thing or not.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like kmart is also going under..

4. voodoo1

voodoo1

Interesting. I guess I need to get over there and trade in my bad tools for replacements.

5. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw Craftman tool display in my local Ace Hardware store this weekend. That was a first.

6. Deuces

Deuces

I took five 1/2" drive rachets (4 which I got for free) back to Sears once and they replaced them all no questions asked...

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

they sell Craftsman tools at OSH... aren't they owned by Sears as well? they better not close OSH.. I love that place.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I know a girl who works at the local Ace, she told me a couple months ago that they were getting ready to sell Craftsman tools.

9. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

so sears holdings owns sears and kmart. so if sears holdings goes under, they will take sears and kmart with them, along with any of their brands, like craftsman. unless someone purchases the craftsman line from sears holdings, you will not see a stand alone store or anything like that. it will go the way of the parent company.

10. Deuces

Deuces

Even A&W is going under.. :( Say goodbye to their rootbeer floats..

11. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Keep in mind that what you are reading isn't set in stone or anything. Just someones predictions of what is going to happen next year. I know most will know that, but its for those that believe everything they read on the net.

12. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

They also sell Craftsman tools on Air Force base BX's. Not a huge selection.. but some..
    Most of the Kmarts closed in TX long ago. We were shocked to find one out in West
    TX, as we traveled to CA to Disney. I think the Kmart was keeping the town alive.
    That may be why it was the only one I've seen in TX, in like over 10 years.

13. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

I'll keep using mine. They are just tools. In fact, the other night I had to "modify" one of my wrenches to get in a tight place. I had to heat it and bend it at a special angle. I am not going to go get it replaced- I might need it again.

14. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

The only reason I ever step foot in Sears is to exchange a broken tool, or to buy one that I need and don't have.

15. Deuces

Deuces

We still have a couple here in the motown area... The super k near me closed down and walmart :eek: took it over.. :(

16. That is exactly what i got out of it. Simply predictions.

"Each of the 10 brands on the list suffer from one or more of these problems. Each of the 10 will be gone, based on our definitions, within 18 months."

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

My wife works at K-Mart and they already have a Sears department in the store with mostly applliances and tools. The main reason K-Mart and Sears can"t compete is bad management and not updating. Its just like all the big companies,execs are paid outrageous salaries and bonuses but when going gets rough they close a store and never miss a beat getting their money.Craftman tools will not go away just because Sears bites the bullitt.

18. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Saab cant make payroll. No more wierd cars from Sweden.

19. banjorear

banjorear

I'm thinking the same thing.

20. Tools are about the only thing i go into Sears for. There help sucks a lot of the time.

21. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

I traveled to Warner Robins, GA at the beginning of the year. I went into a Kmart there
    to check out the toy department to pick up something for the kids. It was like walking
    into the same Kmart that I used to go to, back in my town, in the '80s. Same look,
    same setup.. never changes..

22. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

x2... I usually have to chase someone down..

23. Merely predictions and "the Sky is Falling".
    Not sure about Sears, but they have weathered some pretty big problems in recent history. Craftsman tools are also sold now at Summit Racing
    As for Nokia -- the worlds largest manufacturer of cell phones - think they missed the mark on that one. IT is fat too important to the Finnish economy (no they aren't Japanese) for the Finnish government to allow it to fail or be bought out.
    And SAAB - Well GM totally fucked up that company and the current Dutch owners are on the verge of wither bankruptcy or liquidation any day now.

24. BEAR

BEAR

i have worked for SEARS this will be my 4th year the stores i have worked for have always done good . if there was anything like the store going under they would told us already .. the SEARS holding is very open with there workers ..

25. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Uh oh, I better get all my broken ones exchanged really soon!

26. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

A lot of what you guys are saying is spot on. I spent 10 years with the company starting in '97 and about the only positive thing I can say for them is that back then they had tuition reimbursement which helped put me through college.

For those that don't know, Sears did NOT purchase Kmart, it was the other way around, creating Sears Holdings Corp. Hence the reason there is no Sears Roebuck & Co. anymore. The thought by corporate was that by bringing Sears core brands (Kenmore, Craftsman) into Kmarts they could improve the market share of not only Sears but also Kmart, both of which had been in decline. Due to poor upper management at the corporate level and repeated failures trickling down from the top both companies have continued to fail. While I can't speak for Kmart, I can say that Sears stores, by direction from corp., have leaned out their staff to the point that trying to get help is more irritating than helpful anymore. Due to benefits and pension cuts the longtime, knowledgeable employees which once filled the store have been replaced by kids paid min. wage who don't give a damn whether you buy anything or not let alone know anything about the product they're supposed to be promoting. The Craftsman brand will never die, but it's a pretty safe bet the Sears and Kmart names will if upper management doesn't see the ship is sinking and do something about it that will actually help and not hurt. Just my .02 :)

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

Last year my Son took a swivel head 3/8" ratchet into our local Sears store (catalog store with a good assortment of tools & appliances,... we live in a small town),.. they wrote it up and said "we'll call you when it comes in".

Sure enough, two weeks later they called him, he goes down with broken ratchet in hand,... they hand him a small bag of "Repair/Replacement" parts, with no instructions,.. They say,... "Here ya' go !".
    He said "Nope !, The guarantee says YOU will repair or replace the tool ! another two weeks later his new (read that re-manufactured) ratchet showed up,... But they wouldn't give him a new one out of stock.

I NEVER had this problem with Sears in the past, And I have dealt with them 50 some years.

28. Eight433

Eight433

My newest summit catalog had craftsman tools in it.

29. squirrel

squirrel

I've worn out a lot of sears 3/8" ratchets, I finally bought a snapon about 10 years ago, no problems.