Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage L.A. Roadsters screwed up the swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnyeyeball, Jun 20, 2011.

1. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Having lugged an A rearend out of "The River of No Return Wilderness Area" for my dad years ago ( more then likely illegal, uhmm errr welll, my dad made me do it! ), and removing my 40 Ford body from a shit stream in Rubidox, what's a little walk from the swap to the parking lot???

2. My thoughts exactly:):):)
    Change always brings problems, it just takes a little time to work them out.
    We had pretty good sales and the fellow that bought my pu cab and bed had no problem driving in to pick it up.

3. VonKool13

VonKool13

The layout was awesome, the swap can't be beat, and I had NO problem finding a toilet. Stop crying, there is no crying in Hot Rodding!! Unless you cut your finger off with a grinder!:D

4. slammed

slammed

More demo's and reconstruction means more of the same next year. Plan ahead, get the layouts of all the events/parking..... right down to the number of Port-a-Johns. And new tennis shoes! Walk it off!

5. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Just my .02.

I have been going to the L.A. Roadster Show since the late '60's when it was at the Great Western Exhibit Center. Back then it was with my Dad and I have to say I loved it. When they moved it to the L.A. County Fairgrounds it was never as good. But I will have to say this arrangement was the best it has been since they moved to Pomona. I do sympathize with the OP's Latrine situation in the swap area, (after a couple of cups of java my 61 year old bladder was in some distress with a long walk to relief, you young guys will understand someday) And Bad Bob and the H.A.M.B. camp were out in the middle of nowhere. (and Bob had no cookies on Sunday A.M.)

As I stated I used to go with my Dad, lost him in '79, give anything to go to one more with him. I have over the years gone alone, with my wife, wife and 2 toddlers, wife and grown children, and today although all are welcome my son and I attend. (this year he not only bought my admission to the show, he also sprang for lunch at La Poloma)

I just have to stop and thank the L.A. Roadsters for putting on an event that if it has any faults, is that it has become too large for any venue.

Like i said just my .02, others may disagree.

Mike

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope, still don't cry even then.... That's the time for swearing!

7. uncle buck

uncle buck

I passed on several items due to the distance from lot 9. My niece and I decided that if it didn't fit in my pocket or her purse, I didn't need it. We both enjoyed ourselves and were exhausted at the end of the day Saturday.

8. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HEY!---Son still wearing his LAR shirt???-----Don:D:D

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got that right Mike!---Remember at Great Western it was just a 1 day show---Worked our ass off---But we were a lot younger then too!!-----Don:D:D

10. Muttley

Muttley

$296 a night?!?!? :eek: :eek: Were they wearing masks and holding pistols when they handed you the bill?

11. Offy 220

Offy 220

Mike, great comment. I used to go with my dad every year since the Great Western Exhibit days up until four years ago. It was an event we looked forward to every year. His birthday and Father's day usually ended up on the same weekend.

He really enjoyed the swap meet, especially the early Model B and V8 Flathead speed parts. It was the last event we went to before he passed away a few months later. I enjoy the pictures that are posted but I haven't been able to get myself to go back - too many memories. Hopefully next year I will have a different view about it and get back out there.

Mike, thanks again for your .02

Offy 220

12. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

They should have been. $149 on thursday night and $296 for friday and saturday night's.

13. billthx138

billthx138

KOA directly across the street was $42.50 a night......Oh and the coach was well stocked with toilet paper and booze.

14. thanks for the invite bill were all going to stay in your coach with you next year and I will pay the 42.50 for ya... hahaha lol

15. Interesting stories about the show
    We had a swap spot and traffic on Sat was slower than usual. After the hike to the other end of the swap meet by the commercial section, I could see why. Schlepping parts that far would have been a pain, if you could find out where the swap meet was.
    Heard complaints about the hosts, but no more than usual.

16. The Shitter Was Full!

Attached Files:

17. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

No complaints here. Got rid of some stuff just laying around. Bought a rebuilt power steering box for the Buick. Traded a neon sign for an old pedal car body.
    Then had enough left over to pay for the swap spot, hotel and had moola left over.
    Once I found where the HAMB Tent, dumpsters and where the tram pick up area was, I was set.
    We would pick up the Tram on the west side of the swap meet and ride it in to the vendor/roadster area. Love those Pink Chili Dogs.
    Make sure to do the chili dogs after walking the swap meet. But don't blame me for the dumpsters being full.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  18. I held it.......I was in swap mode :).

19. rusty tools

rusty tools

You keep talking about the toilets.Did you have Diarrhea ?

20. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

And then you get the opportunity to get your car stolen in their parking lot!

21. Buckster

Buckster

Early Sunday morning my friends wanted to take their rental car into the swap meet area to pickup some parts. The gate attendant wanted $25 & said it would be refunded if they came back in an hour. My friends decided to park the car & walk in. Who is to say the gate attendant would still be around when they returned???

22. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

On the other hand ;)
    If the attendant was not there, doing HIS JOB ... the place would be run over with looky lous just riding around sight seeing.

The LA Roadsters show and swap meet is a very big job for a car club. Most of the LA Roadster members are AARP eligble ( and most likely members :D ).
    The club membership is kept small ... to help keep the unit close and tight. Quite a few of the members are past 80 years old.

My HATS OFF to the club for even having this event and the job they do.

In 2007 ... I was there with my 32 roadster. The wife and I stayed at the Sheraton ... I was walking in the roadster entrance gate ( left my 32 on the grounds ) and a LA Roadster member saw me walking in ... drove his golf cart out of his way and gave me a lift to my roadster ... all without me having to ask.

I have become friends with a few of the LA Roadster members ( past and present ) and everyone I have met is a stand up car guy who just happens to own a nice Ford roadster.

[​IMG]

Randy

23. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

We drove out a 49 Ford and ended up selling it on Thursday. We got a rental car, bought a swap meet space for $65 which included 2 wrist bands, and parked in the swap meet area all weekend. That is the way to do that! We have been doing that for years. Its less expensive and your car is right there! We parked over by the fence as not to take up an actual swap space and as long as that yellow tag was in the window, they waived us thru everyday with a smile!

24. Maybe he needs one of these for next year
    [​IMG]

25. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Reading the complaints about walking distance and parking...I wonder what some of you would do if you ever showed up at Hershey?