Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods End of an Era (The Patina Eradication Project)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Django, Jun 20, 2011.

1. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

I LOVE the way it sits.
    What are you running for front, and rear axle setups?

2. Looked great with the patina and looks great shiny now.
    I've seen enough of your designs and cars to know you can't really fuck up a cars look. :D

3. Looks great!

I always wonder if the patina guys never paint their houses or cut their grass

I can appreciate an aged warrior, but fresh paint really shows that somebody cares for/about it.

4. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Django....I liked it with the patina and www's, and I like it as it sits now. Aither way, it's a killer ride. Love what you've done with it and I think it's super cool that you kept the truck handles. Great job, great car, man!

5. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

nice car, i like the paint, i like the wheels and tires, i like the stance. i like everything about it, it's a really nice looking car.

6. Gerg

Gerg

Great looking car man! I am sure your dad is proud

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Norwell Equipped sez......

2 THUMBS UP!!

8. Front end looks great and I love it with the blackwalls and wheels. Super nice car.

9. Joey7319

Joey7319

The car looks great. I bet your having a blast with it.

10. sololobo

sololobo

Great story bro, the son is a cutie pie. I love the approach to this project and am with ya 100%. The patina rocks, but been there, done that. All the upgrades are super sweet, as they say, Nailed It!! Thanx for sharing the history and work on this bad boy coupe. ~sololobo~

11. Nice story. I see the changes as a new chapter to the story.

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Thanks everyone!

You've been talking to Plowboy haven't you? I'll deny it! :D

It took a couple years to find, but we're good to go. Building the frame currently... 59AB, T5, dropped axle, wide five, juice brakes, etc. We bought a donor car from Texas. :D

[​IMG]

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

nice. cars need love and new paint to survive from generation to generation. you are just ensuring its longevity.

and, it looks mean...

14. Looks great Django! I like your dad's red stripe in the old pictures too. The 'all black' looks killer as is but do you have any thoughts of reapplying that detail?
    Love the wheel/tire combo and the stance are just too right.

15. Deadbird

Deadbird

Looks killer man. Good job! Still one of my favorite cars to see at the Pile Up.

16. dudley32

dudley32

You did good...looks great...d32

17. Spike!

Spike!

It was time..and you did it right. Nice job!

Spike

18. You did a great job but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Man I was diggin' it the way it was.;)

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Just found this pic on the Great Lakes Dragaway photog's site. Cool!

[​IMG]

Jigger, that red stripe is still there on the body but it's pretty thin in places now. When Dad bought the car, the stripe was green, and for the last 20 years, he has always said we should put it back to green. I resisted for years. I painted the 302 red to match. But I think it will get the apple green stripe after the body is painted.

Someone asked about the suspension. It's an old Gibbon Cordoba IFS kit, which was the hot ticket for about a minute in the late '80s. The rear is a Granada 8" with coil overs and a 4 link, built by Steve the Greek, also back in the late '80s when my Dad got the bug to do something with it, but that is as far as he got. I'd like to redo all that someday. I bought a complete Pete & Jakes front end out of a '40 that was getting the full street rod treatment, to put back under it. But I could never justify taking it back apart after 35 years of being apart. So that front end is going in the Delivery, along with the juice brakes that were originally on the 5 window. My Dad kept them (complete front end and rear end), and they had been back behind the barn for 20 years, until recently. Actually, if you look at the 1964 pic, and the Delivery in the barn pic and compare the wheels and tires, you can see that they are the same.

The whitewalls are Coker Classics 5.60 15 and L78 15. The Radials (ugh!) are 185/80/15 and 255/70/15.

20. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

so let me get this straight...now you guys have a sedan, a three window, a five window, a cabriolet, AND a sedan delivery and you are worried about things like paint? I hate you.

21. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Haha, you knew this was the goal 20 years... :D

22. I can kind of understand that people like the worn "patina" look on cars. But when you took your car from the patina look, to the shiny badass look, people gotta be busting out the sand paper and mixing up that glossy paint.

Beautiful car!

23. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Look good. Im into the whitewalls and taildragger look..... but your Ford is gorgeous and MUCH better than it turning into an easter egg street rod like so many have.. :( oh well, its better than the CRUSHER

24. sweet ride, great work !

25. felix37

felix37

26. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

27. Kicks ass, I love it!
    Thank you for not painting it pastel pink, slapping 50 series tires, and Enkei sawblades on it.

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I liked your car before Django. But I Love it now!
    Always liked black on black. It just reminds me of the 40's ford scene.
    Some people say all fords should be black.
    I really like it. Great job.

29. SS350Sport

SS350Sport
    from Utah

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Bravo sir, BRAVO!