Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods After 800 some passes, something had to give on the Rebel Reaper!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

don,i hope to be at the showdown drags this year !! i had my hot rod in the mud ,after that on the bucket list is to do a wheelie !!! i won't have the 32 ready for that this year ,so if i bring my helmet, could you give a 300 lb hillbilly a ride ? ha ha

2. Sorry about the damage but I think you got your moneys worth. :p

3. Why wern't you there? That is why I don't go to Bowling Green, They won't let me beat up on the Geezer Gassers and my car ain't no bracket car (ok, maybe its the driver, not the car's falt:mad:) so I only get 4 passes the whole weekend....if I am lucky! The Gasser Reunion events I try to make a pass every 20 minutes, I hate it when it's quiet!

4. I already promised the broken parts to Earnest for a trophy. Thanks, just doing my part to keep nostalgia drag racing alive and well....and having a blast!

5. Fabcraft guys are great! Last year when I wanted to update the axles cause I twisted the 31 Spline Strange units, they were willing to help me but instead of making a buck they sent me directly to the source to save me time and get me back on the track again!

As far as tickets, hmmmm, have to think about that. There was a young lady that wanted a ride at the Gasser Reunion, she showed me her "tools" and I have to admit she had the tools for a ride, but I was not able to give her that ride before I blew up:cool:

Seriously, the ticket for a ride thing is a good idea, maybe I will do a HAMB auction in the near future...

6. The Beaver is the place to do it, really stickey!

7. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I looked it up, 750 miles each way. Half of it through the Blue Ridge Mountains. Scenic drive but a tough tow. Do they run anything other than Gassers? Maybe next year.

8. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Back when I was drag racing they always teased me that if you weren't breaking parts you weren't racing hard enough! We ALL know that you run the Reaper hard so it's a wonder it took this long!

The car is awesome and I'm sure you'll have it back on the track in no time.

9. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I noticed you weren't there....even my son asked me..."where is the Rebel Reaper?" I actually had a better time at Thompson a couple weeks ago....and the cars seemed much more nostalgic than at Bowling Green. Hope to see you at Marion in a couple weeks. Maybe someday i'll get to race beside you in my Falcon!

10. Weasel

Weasel

Hey Don, I got the full story yesterday first hand from Sammy Cooper who got delayed in returning to Australia. He was proudly wearing his Rebel Reaper shirt when we toured a private Willys collection....

11. They usually have an altered/dragster class as well as a Hot Rod class that covers any other cars. The altered and dragster class was very small this year? I understand the tow. The only bad part of the Beaver is the mountain I have to cross to get there. Bob told me a different way to go home, but I must have taken a wrong turn! Smelled brakes for a while and was in first down the whole mountain!

12. Sammy was a ton of fun to have around! My family enjoyed having him around for the whole week. I took him everywhere just like he was part of the family. He never saw baton twirling or basketball before! I even had him give the girls an after game pep talk to cheer them up with his accent. I am sure he isn't too bummed about staying an extra day!

13. Just a quick update, trans guy called with the bad news. The transmission case busted in the back. I had to scramble and find another AMC 727. Lucily my buddy Mark D had one. I dropped it off today at the trans shop. Good news is the carnage in the trans is localized and the clutches and drums all look good. No problems with the Griner brake, and Tom (trans guy) feels that the convertor should be fine also! Hoping to have the trans back by middle of next week.

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Don Moyer and Kiwi Kev......Willys race of the century?

15. Don.....I was hooked on that awesome Willys of yours the first time I had the pleasure of sitting in it back in Detroit and wondering ...."how the hell" can you see anything when she's up on the bumper.....lol.....best of luck brother with the repairs.

16. That's funny Skip. I will be happy if I make it to the other end without breaking anything. I hope I can get in the twelves.

17. Don, you are the man! When I look under an old drag car, I expect to see an Olds / Pontiac rear! Good for you sticking with the old stuff! I think they call that suffering for your art.:rolleyes::D

p.s. If you do change over to a 9 inch, let me know what you want for those axles!;)

18. 00-DIRT

00-DIRT

Cant wait to see you in larue for the gasser nats. we will definitly be wearin our honarary sponsor tshirt.

19. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i dont know how i missed this thread?let me know when you pick up your trans from tom.we will have to hook-up.

20. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

21. Been there, got a t-shirt:
    [​IMG]

An old racer once told me "If you never break any parts, you're not having any fun."

22. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

yes

23. I hurt myself just watching that landing! Pucker factor plus...!

24. GASSERGUY

GASSERGUY

Hi Don! One week from today and you'll be pulling into the pits at the GASSER Nationals. Jack Warren will already be there. He's towing his '41 from California and is due to arrive on Wednesday. We're going to do some kind of display, with his coupe, in Marion on Thursday afternoon/evening. More on that when I know more details. Save those broken parts, they'll make a great trophy for next year's Reunion.

25. Got all the parts back on Friday evening. Here are a couple pics of the transmission damage.

[​IMG]

26. The junk case!

[​IMG]

27. Here is the pig with new Mark Williams caps and gears.

[​IMG]

28. here is the olds pontiac housing with back brace. I don't really like the look for the car, but I also don't want to keep twisting stuff.

[​IMG]

29. Now that is a serious rear end!

30. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100