Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler Hemi Horne 4x2 intake & strombergs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65standard, Jun 19, 2011.

1. okay, here is what i have. it is an aluminum Horne intake manifold for an early chrysler hemi. now for the bad or unusual part. someone cut out the heat riser on this manifold. i have no idea why this was done. i bought this intake over 30 years ago and this is the way i got it. this was not hack job. someone carefully machined this area out of the intake. it was cut exactly in the center of the mounting bolts on each side of this.

as a fabricator, i could repair this like new. but i decided not to mess with it until i understand why this was cut. or if i decide to sell it, i can give the buyer the option of letting him get it fixed/repair or use it as is. i feel that it is still very usable as is. it still bolts down just fine.

the carbs are strombergs. two of them say "97" on the side and two say "1 1/32" on the side. why would someone use two different cars on this intake? i don't know, but this is how i got it.

the 392 heads are Modellos. there is a stamp on each head just above the heat riser port that says:

MONDELLO'S
    PORTING SERV.
    L.A. CALIF
    35768​

here are some pictures i took today. if anyone know more about these items, please post up. now, i have no idea of its value. maybe you guys could give me an idea.​

since these Mondello heads have the heat riser ports rendered useless because the passage in the exhaust port was welded up. Joe Mondello must have done this when he ported these heads. i feel that this Horne intake will work as is with heads like these Mondello heads.​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  2. also note that these carbs seem to be junk. two look to be complete, one looks like it is missing the accelerator pump rod, and one is missing just about all parts.

3. 73RR

73RR

There was a time that separating the exhaust flow from the crossover flow was 'the thing to do' for that last 2 hp, and welding (often brazing) the closure was the way to go.
    I haven't seen this done in the last 20 years or so.

Obviously the heads could be used with a stock intake but that intake can't be used with stock heads. IMO, it would be worth the effort to rebuild the missing center section as the manifold is worth some seriously crazy money to the ebay crowd....but then again, some fool may pay just as much for as is....value will likely be in the $1200 range when bidding stops.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  4. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Man, You sure have a neat Horne manifold to use in a Hot Rod ! Will be looking forward to seeing this intake in use in the future.

Dave

5. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

As for the carb's being 2 97's on the outside and 2 48's (1 1/32 carbs) on the inside, the manifold looks like it has a fairly large plenum area as to where the carbs could run progressively unlike a Weiand 4x2 manifold. The outer carbs would be the idle carbs and bring the centers in under full throttle. It's hard to tell exactly what's missing from the carbs besides the chokes and all the parts on the one 97.

Horne manifolds are pretty hard to come by, you don't see them often. You said the heat riser passages were welded up by Mondello? I'm not sure why they would have cut the manifold though and not just left it.

There was a pair of Mondello DeSoto hemi heads for sale not long ago, I think they went in the $1800 range, supposed to have been freshened up as well, but you know how that saying goes.

Really cool stuff you have there.

6. George

George

I'm thinking Horne was bought out by Cragar, the 2 intakes look the same except for how the intake bolts fit. On the Cragar there a plate that runs across there blocking the heat riser. Yes, the intake is a true open plenum & progressive will work.

7. yeah, i believe the heads were welded up using nickel rod and a steel patch. i can see this being done to improve flow in the exhaust port. but, i can't see why the intake was cut out at the heat riser port. there must have been a reason???

here is the welded up port on the Mondello heads.
    [​IMG]

8. even with all the missing parts those carbs are not junk.

9. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Damn thats some cool stuff....

10. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I thought, removing the heat would keep the air fuel cooler for the extra bang..I believe the two 48s were the primaries, why I don't know..That engine could run on all four with no problems..Repair it and use it..
    Duane

11. I can't really use this intake. I have an aluminum sheet metal one made for fuel injection. If nobody can use it like it is, I will repair it and sell it off.

I wish I knew why it was cut in the first place.

12. Hoodlum Rocky

Hoodlum Rocky

That is one cool intake, it is a great piece. Worse case make it a centerpiece for the kitchen table!

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I would love to have that.....fit a 1954 331?

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Wow i'm jelious of those heads, i want them for my 331!!!

15. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

not quite...

Jot Horne was an employee of Roy Richter's at Bell Auto Parts who owned Cragar. The brief Horne lineup was a Bell/Cragar partnership until they decided to market intakes for overheads as Cragar parts. I had one of these hemi intakes a while back with no name cast on it

16. Deuces

Deuces

Any chance you could re-post the pictures using the thumbnail attachment file???... Thanks bud! :)

17. George

George

Yes, you use the fittings between the front & next back runners & a remote thermostat housing from Hot Heads.

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

it's possible that in an earlier configuration the manifold was cut to allow an added exhaust port at the heat riser.

19. That is what I am thinking too. The intake was cut to allow another fitting to bolt (well share those bolts) in between the intake runners. If they just wanted to cut out that part of the intake, normally you would leave the whole bolt mounting boss. Seeing that it was split on the bolts centerline tells me that something else was bolting over the heat riser port.

20. oj

oj

The real problem is those vale covers, they're screwing up the works, you can send them straight to me, sir!
    Thanks, oj

21. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

And also the 392 has a higher port design to go with the taller block, so in other words on a low deck block like 301, 331 or 354 your gasket surface is gunna be too close togather by something like a half inch, so only log manifolds will fit......

22. Skirv

Skirv

Chrysler made up the difference in deck height with the heads. The manifolds are interchangeable. As long as you are using the short deck heads with a short deck block, high deck heads with a high deck block, all the manifolds are the same as far as bolting them up is concerned....331/354/392. They just might require some water passage mods depending on the year.

23. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Yup, thanks for adding to it, i mighta been a little unreadable

24. George

George

Not unreadable, just wrong unless someone was trying to put 392 heads on a low deck block.:)

25. I feel honored that Mr. Jot Horne asked me to send him some pictures of this intake. I sent him a link to this thread. I am real interested to see what he thinks about this strange mod done to one of his rare pieces of history.

26. George

George

Are those the heads? The crossover doesn't look welded up, but if the heads & intake have been together all along maybe someone cut the section out because it wasn't needed with the heads, but would be theft prevention because it wouldn't work with unwelded heads. just a thought!

27. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

I went to joes tech school for head porting in 2000,he had told me he would use a low temp zinc to fill the crossover it would melt in a pot on a stove then pour it in.shape as ness,
    A torch would remove it if needed.Quite possible the scenerio here.
    He offered it when he was selling parts and supplies at his school in his cataloge.
    Good luck with your cool stuff,

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! An underlining story here somewhere! Always liked those Horne 4x2's and have seen a few of the Cragar versions around as well.

And yes, I hate you for owning those valves covers as well. :rolleyes:

Gary, can you explain this a little more? Are you simply saying blocking it off was the trick or actually rerouting it some way? Sorry! Maybe I need to finish my coffee before I ask that.

Seems I've always just seen it blocked off by the manifold and nothing else.

29. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

In the early days blocking it off was the trick cooler denser fuel charge. Mr Gasket had stainless plates in there sbc gasket sets that would help this. When we raced i welded one set with nickeal rod. That was after the lead i used on the frist set got lose. Weard noise but no damage. jim

30. Go back and look at post #7. the weld patch is in the exhaust port just adjacent to the heat riser port. Both heads are done this way. The Horne intake and Mondello heads were never together. The manifold I bought at a flea market. The heads are from my fuel 392 Hemi. That motor is a stroked, aluminum rod, supercharged, injected, nitro motor.

I don't know if these mondello heads would work with a naturally aspirated. The ports and valves are huge. I also have a pair of stock 392 heads and there is a major difference.