Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage L.A. Roadsters screwed up the swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnyeyeball, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Fogger

Fogger

I've been going to the LARS since it set up at Pomona and have many friends and a relative in the club. They put an incredible amount of planning and effort into making the event enjoyable for all. This past weekend was the best ever, saw old friends from all over the country and Canada. All told me how great the show and swap were set up. I heard no complaints. Lots of vendors selling straw hats for sun protection, which is normal at Pomona this time of year. Sun didn't come out until around 3pm on Sunday not long before the club passed out the Mugs. We got very lucky as today is very hot in So Cal and will be hotter tomorrow. This is a must attend event for all interested in our great hobby/business. Again the club did a great job, as usual, and we all look forward to 2012. BTW talked to my old friend Bob Wilson, Wilson Welding, and happy to see him regaining his health.

2. It was and I think always will be the best show, the lay out was not that bad in fact it was better than before. They need to fix a few problems with the amount of toilets in the swap area and can always open up more halls if thy want. I think it might not be a bad idea for maybe a band or two to play on Friday and Saturday night that might be fun...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  3. really there was no problem in the past. It just need a bit more attention in the latrines for the people in the swap

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. McFly

McFly

I scored 3 1940 Ford wheels for $110 total...but really paid for it hauling them all the way to gate 9. I did ask if I could pull around to gate 15 to pick up my rims and they told me "No Way!"

Oh well...I earned that deal! My only complaint was that someone bought a deuce 5w rear moulding steps ahead of me. Argghhhh! Oh well, hopefully that means my mouldings will be cheaper! : )

I loved the layout...next year a swappers pick-up area would be cool.

5. Yep, I am at work just down the street from the Fairgrounds and it was 92 when I hoped in the car for lunch!

Technically the show isn't open on Friday and it closes at 4:00 on Saturday - so you probably won't see much "Night" activity.

And Boy, you must have really had a toilet problem with how many times you brought it up - too many Bean Burritos or what :eek: :D

6. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Hats off to the L.A.Roadsters for producing an excellent show. I've been to many shows, swaps, concours, etc. over the years and this is one of the very best. Anyone who has ever been involved with this type of event will know how difficult it is to "get it right" and to try to keep everyone happy.

The L.A.Roadsters pay a lot of money to rent the Fairplex from Los Angeles County ... there is no excuse for the County not assigning some maintenance people to regularly clean and restock the restrooms during the event. I noticed that they had no shortage of people to collect parking fees in the spectator lot!

I had a great time and I'll certainly be back next year.

7. There's 40 members in the L.A. Roadster club and 6 of those guys are over 80...That's a ton of work for that amount of people......It will get better next year....sometimes, change is good....they'll work out the bugs.....I had a great time....McFly, call me next time, you could've put the wheels in my car, I was in speciality parking...

8. fuely32

fuely32

Second that, the club did an excellent job this year, and while some might not be happy with some of the changes, give it a year, the fit will feel much better....

9. McFly

McFly

Thanks Mike! That would have been ideal. :D

Mike, do you have a 16x4 to complete my set?? :confused:

10. the show is a great success, and the best of the year. The only gripe I had was the lack of support from the fairplex on the supply and demand of the toilets required by the attendants and the swappers. When you wait all year for the best show you would think fairplex personnel would be prepared. We swappers spend a lot of money to participate in the event.It would be nice to have the same cooperating from fairplex on the toilet situation that they give the regular Pomona swap meet.

Let me thanks L.A.R.C. for the best 3 days of the year....

11. I liked the new layout, except I wish you could still park at the drag strip and walk through the swap meet to the show. The layout made the whole area less crowded, and really improved photography since the cars weren't crammed tightly together.
    I'd suggest parking at Gate 9 AND the strip lot so you could enter on both sides.

12. Well.....here's my take on the show.
    LA Roadsters saved me 20 spots for HAMBers,but they chose to park closer to the bathrooms and trees. Makes sense,but I parked where the space was they saved for us. After setting up,I walked over where the other guys had parked. It was the perfect spot for HAMB Camp next year. I told Bob Barnes that,and they will let me set up wherever I want to on Friday,next year! The the Traditional Parking Corral will be in the same spot on Sunday. Bob had some great plaques made up,designed by Larry Woods,this year,but they only went to the guys who parked by me. I did hand some out to the guys who asked me for one,but have about 60 left over. Bob was really disappointed. The head guys with the club think the Traditional deal on Sunday is a waste of time,and this year didn't help.
    As far as the show layout goes. Bob and I talked alot about the problems,as I saw them. He said he has no control of how it;s layed out. The Fairplex TELLS them how the show will be layed out and the parking etc. They were just as unhappy as all of you guys. He memtioned it's only gonna get worse as the construction and demo of the buildings start. All the old buildings are gonna be torn down and rebuilt. I told Bob,the trams should pull trailers,hahaha! He said he would bring up a drive-in for large item pick up. The only problem is that you still have to go 1.2 miles from one end to the other,to get your vehicle from Lot#9.

13. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Just Change. I missed the spots by the trees along the fences....

14. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

do not tear down all the art deco / 50's style building that are there they are so cool. I loved the lay out of the show with a cross between the grand national show and old la roadster show. The swap was one of the biggest its ever been. I was really sore as well with all the walking but was totally worth it for the deals that I got. Can't wait for next year.

15. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Weird layout. And most of the swap meet vendors were high on something or maybe it was just their prices that were high.

16. :( Sorry Jared

17. TERPU

TERPU

Well I'm an eternal Optimist so here goes- Anybody and I mean anybody who bitches about the LARS deal seems to be picking the more negative side of life. I have been lucky enough to be at several LARS and have never had a bad time. Yes the swap was different this year, but Holy Shit it was also bigger. The roadsters were right where they needed to be all by themselves for the people who wanted to be a prt of that and see them. I'm more Swap oriented and spent little time looking at the Gold Chain fest. But even then there were still several really Bitchin' cars done just right by me for whatever that is worth. I walked so much both my legs and my hips hurt, but it didn't stop me. I miss the row of trees and it seems like they always change stuff for the worse at first and then we all forget and it's status quo. I live in North Cal and make this the one time of the year I migrate to So-cal just for fun. I was born in the LB and go down for Holidays sometimes under much duress. But you guys have the Best Show/Swap around. I'll be there every year I can make it, don't take it for granted or it just might dry up and blow away.

Tim

18. daily_driver

daily_driver

My only compaint is that I didn't have a chance to get out there until Sunday! I know I missed all the good stuff.... Oh well, next year I'll take the whole weekend off.
    -DD

19. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

As a swapper it was slow. It seemed like no one was buying. My pop and I attribute it to the fact that no one wanted to haul large items back to Gate 9. That or the economy dictated spending habits. Either way, I met some HAMBers, saw a lot of old friends, and had a great bonding weekend with my pop. And the last item is all that matters to me.

20. BCR

BCR

My only complaint was I didn't get to go. But on a side note I had clean well stocked shitters within walking distance in my shop!

21. DrJ

DrJ

Likewise, and I would have helped you carry the loot out too!:cool:

22. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

They did a great job & us Vendors being inside building 4 was brilliant, I finally got out on Sunday & made a trek to the swap meet , very confusing layout but as a lot had gone home I missed the excitement of the Saturday search. Can't be in 2 places at once :(.

Well done to the LA Roadster Club , I can't wait till next year.

23. DrJ

DrJ

I looked for the banner but didn't see it! Where were you?

24. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

I've gone to this show for many years, both as a spectater and a participant, and the LA Roadsters have alway's done a terrific job. My hats off to them.

25. wizardfab

wizardfab

Great Show!! I was lucky enough to go as a guest of the club. We got there on Wednesday and help with all of the set up. Most people have no idea of what it takes to put on this Monster. We spent most of our time trying to make people happy, and a few just won't be happy. the lay-out is a fight with Fairplex not the club. It is what it is. But if you needed help with something all you needed to do is ask a guy in red and white (club colors ). We would do what ever we could to help. The club is open to all constructive criticism and I encourage it.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Funny, I have alway just driven a pickup to the swap gates, showed my wrist band and pulled in to get heavy stuff from the swap. I didn't do it this year, but I can't imagine it being any different than any other year in that reguard. As for the deco buildings, I share my buddy Hot Rod Ron's feelings...NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! That was part of the "coolness" of this years gig - being able to see and interact with the cool old deco stuff! To tear it out would be horrible shame. That never seems to stop "invester types" though. Tear down paradise and put up a parking lot. Camp H.A.M.B. was right on ther main isle between the swap and prefered parking... First thing we saw coming in. Bob, if you could get the tree line for next year though... Holy crap, that was always sacred ground!

27. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

We actually talked to the LA Roadster guy that was in charge this year and alot of it has to do with the Fairplex. He told us that it is a constant battle with them and there was talk of them moving the entire show elsewhere. With the increase in cost's, they did away with the catered BBQ for the roadsters on friday and did it themselves. Also, they were charging for the passenger in the roadsters. He wouldn't tell us what the fairplex charged them for building 4, but apparently it was a bunch. I didn't care for the layout on friday, but after 3 days there, it wasnt that bad. Biggest complaint I heard was nobody knew where everything was, hence a map would have worked out great. Biggest show I have been too and this was my 19th year. Only complaint I had was the $296 a night at the Sheraton!

28. I had a great time. Cant wait till next year

29. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I'll 2nd that!

30. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

I went on Sunday as I couldn't make it on saturday. I like the layout and the swap area was big but the couple of things I wanted to buy I could not find the owner of the swap space to pay so I thought I would come back later to see if they returned and by that time they had packed up and left. most swap meet sellers were packing up and leaving by 11am. Next year I will try to make it on saturday as the people I talked to on sunday that were also there on saturday said saturday was packed. I was hoping they were going to raffle off a 32 roadster like last year, over all I am glad I went and will next year if the worn out roadster makes it. PS the bigest problem I had was when I was in the swap meet area I keep having to move out of the way of vehicles driving/crusing down the rows.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011