Register now to get rid of these ads!

what kind of steering box do I have here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andrewt2, Jun 19, 2011.

1. andrewt2

andrewt2
    from Topeka, KS

I recieved this box as part of a package for a 1929 model a roadster I bought. guy said he thought it was corvair I did a search for corvair boxes and its difinately not one of those. theres no ford chevy dodge stamps on it. although from the part numbers I did find one has "FP" stamped above it ford part? but the Pitman arm has what looks like a GM vin number on it. any help is appreciated, couldnt find what I needed using the search button. Also if you know what this box is, is it typically used for cross steering or not?

Attached Files:

2. andrewt2

andrewt2
    from Topeka, KS

numbers on the box are: on the pitman arm 25GMT6255787B

on the front of the housing of the box FP under that is 5673581CFD2

and on the side cover is 5673114.

again any help is appreciated.

3. bct

bct

looks like corvair to me .

4. andrewt2

andrewt2
    from Topeka, KS

these are the pictures I come up with when I search for corvair boxes though. are these just the aftermarket versions?

Attached Files:

5. dlotraf

dlotraf

Looks like a stock corvair. The aftermarket are very similar, but housing is not idendical. Also the aftermarket one is already reversed. The corvair box is easy to reverse. Used for side steer, not cross steer. Vega is most common for cross steer, although some of the ford late 30's and 40's were cross steer, and I have seen those boxes used.

6. bct

bct

andrew , you should search info about the corvair boxes before you get into it, the aluminium corvair box has some weakness . IMHO they should only be used on a really light car so please check it out.

7. vegas

vegas

Exactly....non-reversed, stock, aluminum Corvair.

8. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

9. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Looks like a late Corvair. Early ones were iron late Al.

10. blackbirdpilot

blackbirdpilot
    from California

No. Early were aluminum, late were Iron. early (up to 63) was aluminum and had the short stub shaft. Then in 64 it went to cast iron boxes with 64 1/2 or so length shaft that terminated at the steering wheel. Early 65 was nearly the same. Late 65 went to a universal jointed coupler and had a 17 inch shaft. 1967 went back to short stub shaft up to end of production in 69 and used an intermediate shaft like the rest of the GM cars.
    There is also a 16 shaft box that was used on early 65 Telescopic column that used a solid block union that was changed out in 66 for the u-joint coupler.

More information than you ever wanted to know :)

11. I picked an iron one out of a 65-66 Corvair, and the place had one they claimed to be a '69, which had the later style keys so I assume they were right. Both had the long shaft deal, with the same little panel in the wheelwell to access the rag joint. I started to pull it and ran out of time and never went back... I could get about 1/4 turn a shot and it would pop my second wrench back off, what a pain in the ass.