Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. savannahDan

savannahDan

I'm really enjoying watching this build, good work, simple, looks nice....you make it look too easy.

2. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Nice Looking! We need a completed view though please!

3. This is a great thread. The truck looks killer. You are doing it your own way and it's killer!!!

4. skoh73

skoh73

You boned a camper van? I hope you bought it dinner first!

5. lorodz

lorodz

^^^^^^^^^^^ haha ...looks cool

6. It's not completed.
    My garage is small, impossible to get the whole truck in a photo
    Here's the best I can do from a few days ago.

0 36 1.jpg

No dinner..
    1. Gave her a couple shots of nitrous,
    2. Told her she was going in the garage for a new pair of shoes.
    3. Once in the garage, disabled her battery.
    4. Took a few hours to get her boned with a couple friends helping..

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    6-bangertim likes this.
  7. Got a better grill the other day from a good friend off of a '48 F5 parts rig.
    Traded a pair of kinda rusty Model A rear fenders for it but I had to pull the grill out of the truck.

What a job, about 50 fine thread 5/16 bolts rusted in place along with 1/2 dozen caged nuts in tough locations that wouldn't budge. Had to call in the sawzall. Ended up cutting the front clip off right behind the core support. For as rusty as the truck was I'm surprised the grill was in such good shape. It was the original as under the black paint it still had the wide red pinstripes.

Here's the position for removing a grill with the front clip off.
    Still somewhat of a hard job if the fasteners are rusty..

2011 06 10 front clip 2.JPG

2011 06 10 front clip 4.JPG

8. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

9. My old grill with the Elvis smile. It had been wrecked and beat out and had 2 grill bars welded in the wrong position.

0 39 1.jpg

Here's my 'new' one just about stripped and ready to rattle can rebuild. It has a few dings but much nicer.

0 39 2.jpg

Got it painted last night. Used the same 'hammered' paint as I used on the heater, pictures will follow assembly. Also beat on my inner fenders and got them painted semi-gloss black.

10. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Those old ones for sale?

11. Sorry, but I'm saving the extra grill for my other F1 until I decide what I'm doing with it. The other truck's grill is really beat but with the pair I could make one good one.

1 a 1948 Ford PU 2 cropped 2.jpg

12. Tin Can

Tin Can

Cool build. Ive enjoyed watching it

13. D-Day

D-Day
    from NW Ohio

Damn, beautiful! Great work scrouging the pieces from a bit of everywhere. Rattle cans are definitely doing your work justice so far. Keeping an eye on this...

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Nice work, thats what its all about. Work with what you got, then go to the junkyard for what you dont got.. Cool build !

15. rustdodger

rustdodger

Somehow I've missed this build until now. I will be watching you for more inspiration for the limited means builder. Keep up the good work and keep posting!

16. I've enjoyed watching this build. It looks like you're enjoying it and that's the way it should be. I'm going to stay tuned on this one.

17. Really enjoying this build-keep up the good work!
    That old six looks great-I'm really diggin' the interior-don't stop now!

18. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Cool build, the rattle can rebuilds are the best. Make every thing look clean and new.

19. manoftheoil

manoftheoil

20. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Great thread. Its amazing what a little ingenuity and some random parts can do.

21. looking good !

22. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Excellent thread, clean neat work. What hot rodding is all about, using what ya got and making it work and look good at the same time!

23. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Thanks for the encouragement! I dig what you've done so far and can't wait to see what happens next. Should be out on the streets again soon!

24. atch

atch

wish you'da called me before you started on that grill. i could have saved you all but about 15 minutes of your time. i took the same grill out of a truck in a boneyard about 20 years ago. after hassleing with those bolts for a while i merely reversed the ratchet. snap! broke every one of those suckers off in a couple of econds each. grill came right out. and this was being done in the truck and in the dirt/mud. it would have been a breeze in your shop.

25. Thanks for all the good words!!!

Parts cleaning / painting this weekend, nothing exciting.

Painted the fan shroud, gravel pan, hood hinges and core support, semi-gloss black. I also painted body color around the headlight openings in the fenders as they were black.

The running boards had been tack welded to the fenders at some point. Yesterday I ground those goobered up welds down, patched and painted.

Started to hang the front group back on last night and found out the bottom two rear mounting brackets for bolting to the frame had been cut off the inner fenders. Gotta fab something up and weld those on.
    0 55 1.jpg

Sneak preview of the rattle can rebuild on the grill.
    Used leftover hammered finish paint from the heater.

It has small dents and dings so wasn't really worthy of a high gloss paint job. I didn't want to try and knock the dents out and end up with something worse than I started with.

It's only an old truck....
    0 55 2.jpg

Picked up a pair of bumpers from a 1947-1954 Chevy pickup over the weekend. (including a trailer hitch) I like how they don't look as clunky as the original Ford bumpers. I'm going to shorten them to the same length as the originals.

My front bumper was bent and had no back bumper.

Ordered new wheel cylinders for the brakes last night.

26. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

Love it all! My '49 F1 has had a similar rebuild, and I'm now pondering a rear bumper, so I'll be paying close attention to how the Chevy one comes out...

27. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Really like what your doing to the truck. Enjoy the posts.

28. hotdamn

hotdamn

dont know if you're doing this or not but this is something I learned from fellow Iron Lord member Sinticket who also happens to be a rattle can aficionado such as yourself, are you clearing everything you paint?

very important to do so or it will look poopy rather quickly in the elements.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, cool! Seems that lately some of my favorite threads have been the same kind of get it done attitude displayed here. I'm doing just about the same deal with my girl friends '62 Falcon wagon, destined to be a dog hauling, home depot scrounging, daily driver deal. It's amazing how close Krylon almond is to Ford sandstone beige...

30. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

ha! i like your style man. can't wait to see this one wrapped up (which looks like it'll be pretty soon). keep up the good work.