Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cruise Night carnage pix - major ouch!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weasel, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

Just another example of how japan is trying to kill US auto's. REMEMBER DEC 7, 1941!!!

j/k :D

2. wow..that poor pontiac. makes me kind of glad my dad got rid of his, okay no it doesn't, but still. hope the owners of the LeMans and the '40 get every red cent owed to them and don't have the same headaches that I had to endure when nearly the same thing happend to my dd a few years back.

3. This photo was included in a string of others from a mature reputable source in a private email to me before this thread got started.

I was quite surprised to not see it with the first group of images.
    It's legit, the asian lady did in fact kill the two american classics. Stereotypes suck, but there's a little truth in all jokes.

Condolences to the other car owners.

4. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

This is true..If they have Grundys then no problem. I should know! They paid off on my 38 Plymouth coupe fire in 3 1/2 weeks without any issues. I'm glad noone got seriously hurt.

Paul

5. Tony

Tony

Wow! Like everyone else said, i'm glad no one was seriously injured!
    It's absolutely sickening to see these pics! I've heard of mishaps here and there at cruise nights, but nothing of this magnitude.
    I can't imagine how the owners must feel, and hope i never have to!
    And regardless of who hit them, if it was because of something as DUMB as texting i HOPE they pay dearly for thier dumb ass actions. It could have just as easily been a kid on the sidewalk!

Tony

6. kroozn1

kroozn1

It looks like the Lexus's air bags didn't deploy ??

Lexus must have been flying through the air pretty fast to hit that high and cause that much damage to the poor LeMans.

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

OH MAN, what a disaster...
    After the original anger and frustration, I think I would just sit and cry a bit if one of those cars was mine...What a nightmare.
    Also echo the fact that no one was hurt...

8. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Damn, i know California wants to get rid of old cars, but there's no need to hire old ladies to destroy them in parking lots.

Hopefully the owners of the two cars get all the money they deserve and more.

9. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

Wow! That's about all I can say...

10. If you think parking lots are dangerous you should try the freeways!!

Seriously, technology today can detect the use of a phone in the car, if so, reduce power to valet mode. Or better yet, stop the car.

I do not believe one person who has had the "run away throttle Toyotas" a stuck pedal is one thing, but then why is it floored in the parking lot? (to get stuck)

Damn shame.

J

11. Weasel

Weasel

I think you need to look again. It is the same car - the red is from reflections from the lady with the red Coca Cola sweatshirt seen leaning over the Lexus in a couple of other shots.

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well.. I asked if I was missing something. Apparently I was. Thanks for pointing that out... :eek:

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's bad that the Lemans was totaled and the 40 was banged up pretty bad but with the number of people that it appears were in the parking lot at the time it could have been a lot worse. It could have been Lexis driver kills six people instead of hits two cars.
    I'm another one who always preferred those end spots like that feeling that they were a bit safer to park in never thinking about someone coming across the planting strip.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just a 'guess', eh, Joe? Your synopsis on this is worse than driving drunk.

More likely a throttle problem, but libs like you want to restrict driving priveleges for anyone older than....what?...How old or young are 'grandmas and grandpas'?
    You need a government job.

15. F1-Ford

F1-Ford

Wow, any clasic car that gets destroyed brings a tear to my eye!

16. built2grind

built2grind

17. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

gee, I hope she didn't hurt her wrist

18. shadams

shadams

He might of been off the mark in this case, but G-ma's and G-pa's are a problem. Working at a Buick dealership I see more than my share of old timers who shouldnt be driving, including a 101yr old who holds the brakes and then floors it to drive. He pulls onto the service drive with smoke pouring out of the wheels, literally. One time while out to lunch I heard what sounded like a car trying to tow a block of concrete as I was walking into the resturant, and there goes old man on the access road going about 20 with a stream of smoke and a line of cars behind him.

Anyway, seems an easy fix, just require yearly driving tests after the age of say.....75? 80? I know my gramma is 85 and could probably whip my ass still so iit doesnt mean all old people are bad drivers. I am very skeptical of any car problems, people come in for the stupidest things sometimes so I wouldnt put it past someone to hit the gas rather then the brakes in an emergency situation...

19. Arominus

Arominus

Me too, but thats what ive got. I've been thinking about welding in some cro-mo pipe in the rockers, door jambs and maybe the firewall to re-enforce it a little bit in this sort of hit. That said, this was an unusual hit in that her car was coming off the curb and down into the car. Notice the light damage to the rockers, the lexus's bumper pretty much went over it.

Old cars really suck in impacts, they are not tanks as most people think. Especially at higher speeds, they get raged. 2dr, 4dr it doesn't really matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ptUrQOMPs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3Y0lxGz6s

20. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I hope they had good insurance, as stated before. Probably what'll happen is she'll get her shit reimbursed and go on her merry way to her nice house.
    These two guys will get screwed, and go home to an empty driveway.

In the old days, you accidentally shot the neighbor's cow, you gave him yours. Liquidate her assets and make it right with the car owners. Fair is fair.

21. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Did that post say where it happened? Can you post a link to that board?

22. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I don't know the circumstances leading to the accident but no air bag deployment in the Lexus? Since this happend on private property(which it appears it did) you can bet the Lexus driver's insurance company will attempt an end run. If I was the Pontiac owner I would be using the examples that come across Barrett Jackson as replacement cost.

23. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I would get arrested for beating the shit out of the driver, if one of those cars was mine....

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

how horrible. We had something similar happen around here. guy had a heart attack and stepped on the gas and plowed through a bunch of cars. He ended up passing away :(. Very sad for all involved. The good news is that cars can be replaced and while the ford is pretty banged up on one side; tha tis fixable

25. Eight433

Eight433

The more I look at this, the more I think something fishy is going on...I've never seen a car hit a curb fast enough to ramp the car like that without relocating the wheels into the firewall, breaking the aluminum wheels damn near into shards, or at least popping the low pro tires. combined with the lack of air bag deployment, I smell a sweaty palmed photo shop nerd at least exaggerating the accident... Hmmm.....

26. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

No offense to anyone, but "cruise nights" have become so commonplace and managed in such a SLOPPY manner (in many cases), that the number of incidents like this are definitely on the increase-- We all understand that folks want a place to park their hot rods, show off a little, hang with other hot rodders, but hey, better management of these events should be demanded...

The H.A.M.B., the "thinking" traditional hot rodders' web site...
    [​IMG]

27. There was an incident a couple years back at a local show, but it was one of the show attendees hitting another. There was an older guy, who is pretty well known locally to be a genuinely nice guy, who is into older cop cars. Well he brought his 70's Dodge cop car, with the big chrome bumpers. So he pulls into a space next to a Cutlass convertible a little too closely, hits the passenger side door, then drags his bumper down the whole side of the car. He just didn't realize. I guess this is why they take the licenses away from old folks.

28. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

29. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

It's sad to see. However, I'm reserving judgment until all the facts come out.

30. He probably saw those rims on the GTO and just couldn't stomach it!! :D

Kidding, kidding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.