Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. It looks like it has a brush cut from those low pictures:D. Looking really good Scott keep up the good fight.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Too late DRuss32, Scoots gives me text updates so I've been thinking about spikes all weekend!!! I am doing it, but I am going to sharpen them so that I can run your Smurf-Mobile off the road. :D

Looking good Scooter!!! I was hoping that you were going to do T-Tops like a firebird but this is sweet too!

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! Thanks guys!

4. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

That's a cool way to store clecos! You can even roll it over to the work area.

5. Bodger45

Bodger45

Nice work, that roof support alone is beautiful!

6. Looks like you've been building aircrafts for your whole life!
    Great work, I love it!

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the words guys! MAN this was a lot of work! Super happy with how it's working out, though. I have to say, from what I read of the guidelines for aircraft construction I'm a LOOONG way off, but since I'm hoping to keep the wheels on the ground, I think it'll suffice. HAHA! :D

The clecos only represent every-other hole, as well. YIKES! Gonna' be a lot of flush riveting going on in the very near future... More than 400 flush rivets, I suspect.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Uhhh...this 'era' would be oxy-acet welded. I'm starting...to remember now...

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whew, I just went through every page even though I quit reading every word at about page 20. That car just gets better all the time.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah you're right. I had some confusion after reading the a restoration article in TRJ where the exhaust pipes were done with HELI ARC welds to mimic the original welds from the 50's. But now looking at Scooter's work I can't see him leaving anything like that untouched. He's far to skilled to leave that untouched and I am super proud of him!

11. 4HawkRod

4HawkRod
    BANNED

Awesome Work Scott

Wanna drop over today and put a headliner in my 54 Studebaker LOL

Jeff
    Kitchener Ontario

12. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i really dig this build a lot of cool metal fabrication nice work , good choice of parts ,

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Just saw all these comments... You guys are too kind! Thank you!

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In other news, tomorrow is going to hopefully be another BIG milestone... Tomorrow I'm going to get the paperwork and registration work taken care of. I could use some good vibes and finger crossing that there is NO hassle with the process. My ducks are in a row and I have a place I'm taking it that handles this stuff on a regular basis... And I don't mean the CADMV or CHP! HAHA! :eek:

15. Good vibes comin' atcha!! You got a VIN verification?( that's the one thing I forgot when I went to get mine...)

16. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Great project!

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The registration place handles everything including the VIN verification. She said she'll even fill out all the paperwork for me! In theory, I should walk out with plates and a temp registration. :cool:

18. 73RR

73RR

I remember studying theoretical stuff way back in college.....you may be safer with a ouija board for guidance...:p

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! THANKS, GARY! :rolleyes:

20. Cshabang

Cshabang

I like clecos...haha Lookin good!

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Plates and a registration:eek: is there a planned debut date?

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] It's not too late to fill those panels with louvers. If you'll be sanding around rivet heads what are a few louvers?

23. BashingTin

BashingTin

Holy Cow! I cant' believe I missed this build thread.

Your work is amazing Scott. Very inspirational. ;)

David

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks David!

No planned debut, per-say, Bob. I'm trying to have it done before the holidays roll in. October is the target. That's right around the corner so I'm workin' my butt off!

As for the louvers, YES! That would look incredible! However the roof has to be watertight and I don't want to double up the panel. It's pretty heavy already.

Also, the rivets will flush rivets, not the typical universal/round head rivets. :)

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paperwork nightmare appears to be solved! WOOHOO! One step closer to putting this thing on the road!!

Was one hell of a white knuckle drive pulling this car on the highway! YIKES!!

[​IMG]

26. got to say scoot......thats one of the more "interesting" ways to strap down a car
    do d rings on that bad lad?
    tk

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing is for sure... It was good to see how the car would behave bouncing up and down. I drove over some pretty rough roads with that trailer. I can see already I need to make a few adjustments on the front suspension. I also need to get some spring leaf retainers of some kind, I think...

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is my computer slowly dying, or are the photos somehow deleated?

29. MEYER8821

MEYER8821

your car looks so sick in the back of the trailer! your car looks amazing man!

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Are there any photos of the car with people, how tall is it?