Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadster Pickup on a College Budget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrappy33, Jun 13, 2011.

1. scrappy33

scrappy33
    from Pullman WA

I finally got re-motivated on my rpu project and thought I'd post my progress so far.

It started almost two years ago in my brother's garage. Found a flat spot the the floor for a layout and built the frame with AA frame horns/front crossmember and some 2x3 tube (model A dimensions for the most part).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scrappy33

scrappy33
    from Pullman WA

Since its a "college budget" build, I'm attempting to build my own rpu cab starting with a closed pickup cowl pieced together from a gas tank/firewall I found and some ebay parts. The bed is a 31 wide bed that came with a '33 pickup I bought a few yeas ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Typical frontend, 4" drop Model A axle, Model A spring and split '33 wishbone.

[​IMG]

My dad (Vendome) gave me a 9" for the rear that I narrowed with some help from Brigrat.

[​IMG]

That's about as far as I got with it at my brother's then moved it to my dad's shop.

[​IMG]

3. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

Go for it dude what engine & trans are you running

4. scrappy33

scrappy33
    from Pullman WA

At my dad's I was able to Z the frame and install the smallblock and 4 speed that he donated to the cause.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of it with my dad's cab on it and the the 17" wires.
    [​IMG]

This is about how I had to leave it when I transferred schools to WSU.

5. scrappy33

scrappy33
    from Pullman WA

Thanks. I'm running a 4 bolt main 350 and a Saginaw 4 speed.

6. scrappy33

scrappy33
    from Pullman WA

When I transferred I had to live in an apartment and the Model A was over 200 miles away at my dad's shop. After my first semester here I was able to find a house with a single car garage and its just enough. So last summer I took the car all apart and packed it in the bed of my truck with a motorcycle a cherry picker and an engine stand to bring it here.

Here's the frame all back together and in MY OWN driveway finally.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up an Offenhauser 4x2 intake and carb setup.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  7. hammeredrods

hammeredrods

jumped the gun a little there , good job

8. hooligan909

hooligan909
    from San Diego!

pretty rad! hope i can get my rpu going soon to! sucks not having a garage to work in!!!

9. we hot rodders will live off baked beans and toast to save money for our rods. i hear alot of college students don't have alot of money due to course fees etc. and are forced to live off baked beans and toast. so if your a hot rodder in college do you just choose not to eat???:rolleyes::D. seriously tho the RPU looks sweet, is the mockup you did with your dads body some thig like you are aiming for? if so i like it

10. sololobo

sololobo

Cool rpu, sure nice to have a Dad being such a generous donor for the gig. Like it when father and son bond with a rod build. Lookin damn nice, good luck on the finish. ~sololobo~

11. scrappy33

scrappy33
    from Pullman WA

My cab should be pretty similar to my dad's, but the doors will be a bit shorter (close to roadster dimensions). Once I find my pictures of how I'm building the doors, I'll post them. To pay for it I've bought a couple off topic pickups with blown motors, rebuilt the motors and turned a profit when I sold them. It's nice when hobbies pay for themselves.

Yes, I've been very fortunate that my dad has donated lots of parts, advice and let me store it at his shop.

12. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is way cool man. It gives me hope that I can someday find the cash and parts to build one of my own. Much respect.

13. Great project. I admire anyone who is in college and can do this too. When it's all done you will have a degree and a RPU! Best of all worlds!

14. scrappy33

scrappy33
    from Pullman WA

Haha, that's the plan and if all goes well I'll be done with both about the same time.

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

looking great.....nice late 31 bed you have.

16. scrappy33

scrappy33
    from Pullman WA

I couldn't find the pictures I took while working on my doors, so I snapped a couple new ones. Basicly right now I've made the skins and some 2x2 inner structures. Not sure how I'm going to finish off the edges on the top, I'll probably just make it up as I go.
    [​IMG]

Pretty basic,curved top to bottom but straight front to back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. One solid project. Keep the pics coming!!

18. keep us posted ! looks great.

19. scrappy33

scrappy33
    from Pullman WA

Haven't been able to work on the truck lately but I just got back from the Spokane swapmeet and I picked up a bunch of good stuff.

[​IMG]

A couple of Guide (682?) headlights with the running lights on top. I was walking around with them for a while and had a couple people stop to talk to me about them.
    [​IMG]

The guy that I bought the headlights from also threw in a shift nob with the deal.
    [​IMG]

28/29 grill shell. The bottom is a bit rough but I only paid $20 for it so I couldn't pass it up.
    [​IMG]

A Chevy gas tank that I think I will put in the bed right behind the cab. I'd like to find a mechanical gauge to go in the opening on the left so I don't have to mess with an electric sending unit and another gauge on the dash.
    [​IMG]

I also bought two 17" Kelsey Hayes wires, three V8 hubcaps to complete my set, a Model A headlight bar and dash molding. That's the first time I've been to the Spokane swapmeet, and it was definitely worth the drive from Pullman and the weather couldn't have been better.

20. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Nice build you have going. The AA rails added to the front of the frame is a good idea. That Chev tank will look good. Talked to you about the gas reserve valve at the swapmeet.

21. I've got news for you... I'm many years out of College and the military and still build cars on the tightest of budgets!

This is what "Hot Rodding" is all about... not just throwing a checkbook at somebody and barking out how much it costs... but hunting for that right part albeit a little rough... but spending time with it messaging out the rough parts and making everything work according to your abilities and vision.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  22. NICE START. I am looking forward to seeing more.

23. Lookin' good, man! I admire your drive to the goal(s)!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

24. scrappy33

scrappy33
    from Pullman WA

Yes! Thanks for the advice. I might hit you up for more details on the reserve valve when I get down to installing the tank and running fuel lines. I've seen your car around before, good finally to put a face with the car!

Thanks guys. I hope to have more work done on the truck soon after I finish an OT project rig that should pay for more pieces to the puzzle.

25. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

updates? gravediggin over here

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I like this project.. Even though it's been over a year since you last updated. :) I'm a college student as well but I can't brag that my roadster is being built on a college student budget. You've got some cool parts there though!

What are your plans for the windshield?

27. Pullman, WSU? Sweet looking pickup.

28. Merge

Merge

Back from the dead thread......did this one get finished? Progress?