Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Love the smell of a Mock Up in the morning!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rolf, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Rolf

Rolf

Gotta love a good mock up in the morning…

I had a Sport Coupe that I sold and the chassis under it turned out to be very nice. I decided to just sit on it for now, it may be useful.

[​IMG]

This week I got my ugly roadster body back at my house after being stored elsewhere.

I thought it was the LAW that ALL model A’s has to sit on 32 rails. These were my shallow thoughts on this body and I have a pretty nice original ’32 frame.

I was also thinking maybe 60’s style on this one.

[​IMG]

I friend came over a month ago and just for fun we tried to start the stock engine in the model A chassis. It turned over about three turns and then fired. it just purred.

Now what?

We threw the roaster body on the A chassis and did a 10 minute mock up job. (Well, actually my friend Mark did as I am still under strict orders from my Doc not to play with hot rods yet. He is clearly not a hot rodder…He probably drives a BMW that I just paid for BTW. Probably a 7 series…black...anyway...

So…we took a step back and shit? What’s wrong with prewar style??
    I have fenders as well but now the jury is out on that too...

[​IMG]

Dial in the mechanical brakes, maybe a better steering box, reversed eye front spring, maybe some banger hop up parts and call it a day?? As in just drive the shit outta it!

This is a long term project and I am still collecting parts for it. I just LOVE collecting parts for it ! The parts found can and will many times alter the direction of the project. Love that too.

Show me your favorite mock up picture(s)

Did it change your direction?
    How many times did the parts you found alter the direction?
    Did you find yourself going forward or back in history?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I love a good mockup too. It's point at which the wheels REALLY start turning for me and motivation runs wild. Here's the first mockup shot of my latest roadster.... yes, deuce frames sure do look fine under an A roadster! This car just fell together with no major changes from my original plan... all the parts that I thought would be perfect for it miraculously came into my posession with relative ease. weirdness. Some cars just want to be built!

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. An A in deuce rails or a T on duece rails or even a deuce on duece rails is pretty cool. But I have seen quite a few As on A rails over the years that were just a smooth as silk. Nothing wrong with that build for sure.

4. kisam

kisam

I have a prewar build waiting on me. I love em!

[​IMG]

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That looks like it's going in the right direction ROLF!!! Leave the fender off on this one since you're putting some on the 32. I think what you have going on there is perfection!!! Maybe a dark maroon brush paint job with black wheels and 86 the trim rings and drive it!!!

Here's my '33 set up at the right height I am thinking but I am going with '35 wires (with 7.00's and 6.00's) and probably another inch out of the roof. I am sure it'll take on it's own life once I get started but for now it's a late 40's lakes coupe with Weiand Cheater heads, Weiand high rise intake, undropped axle, banjo rear etc......well that is unless Thunderbirdesq wants to trade me :D.
    [​IMG]

6. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Did mine on Saturday. Kinda fun to walk past....Gets the heart pumping a little.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      235.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      226.9 KB
      Views:
  7. Mockup pics are the only way I can keep my dad who is 800 miles away motivated. A long way to go but its starting to look like something.

[​IMG]

8. Noo!!! wires do not belong on that. Say it ain't so. That'll all be crossed up dude. Steelies all the way with that chop. Is the inch coming out of the rear?

BTW Rolf, love the stripped down lakes look and yes wires on that one!

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I always liked the old style A highboys with runningboard aprons, no boards or fenders, a carry-over from the T speedsters style.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It is so.....and I'm sorry.:D:D I am thinking it's probably going to get another .5-1" out of the front and 2" out of the back to eliminate the wedge. I like the chop but for what I want out of this car it doesn't work for me. And the wire wheels are a must. I set out to build a flathead powered, wire wheeled hot rod in the beginning and this is the car that's going to satisfy that thirst.

Plans so far are.....

-16" 1935 Ford wire wheels
    -7.00's and 6.00 firestone blackwalls
    -8ba flathead with Merc crank, Weiand Cheater heads, Weiand high rise intake with 97's
    -T5 trans
    -'40 Ford Banjo rear
    -'32 Ford Undropped axle
    -'33 Ford split wishbones
    -simple brush paint job
    -brown leather covered seat
    -F1 steering box
    -three spoke steering wheel
    -5" SW tach
    -'39 Chevy tail lights

Yadayadayada.....That's if I can manage to keep this sucker long enough to get on it.

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

been there...done that. :)

Attached Files:

12. Take the wedge out and I approve! ;) Comp coupes musn't have wire wheels. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!

13. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Dont worry the huge dodge wheel and tire are just for tire size (mock up). Firestones and steelies are on the shelf now...
    [​IMG]

My dads project
    [​IMG]

14. Rolf

Rolf

Very cool, Larry

Is that from the pile of A parts you just scored?

15. How about a running mock-up?

Well the stance is wrong, the fenders and doors are laying on the floor but it was still the best Saturday I've spent in years messin around.

[​IMG]

16. It IS a law that they belong on a '32 frame. Go ahead and have your dalliance, you'll get over it.:D

Awhile back I dropped the '30 coupe body on the frame pinched for the '28 just for grins. Mocking up is fun.

Attached Files:

17. Rolf

Rolf

I like!

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I found this '30 Roadster body in 1962, sold it in the mid 1970's to a total stranger that knocked on my door. Actually Bob and I became good friends, and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have meet Debbie. He moved away and I got it back 25 years later without anything changing, except a lower windsheild stantion getting lost. Cowl restoration is coming along slowly and both doors are blasted and in primer. [​IMG]

19. gasserkiwi

gasserkiwi

heres mine, not sure if im gunna roll with it yet but a hot rod speedster seems like an ok idea
    [​IMG]

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

looking good Rolf

here's a mock up right before I sold it last year
    still have enough misc junk to throw something similar together
    but I am forcing myself to concentrate on the too many I have going already

[​IMG]

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yep :)

22. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You can keep the wires... If I had my hands on that coupe we'd be going drag racing: circa '59 :D I'm onboard with the subtle re-chop though.

23. I sya go for it! I like it........... a lot.

24. Here is a mock up pic of my truck from like a year ago:
    [​IMG]

Made some changes, nothing major.
    But now that I'm finally driving it, I want to change the steering setup.

25. Rolf

Rolf

Actually I was kind excited when I did this mock up: :D

[​IMG]