Register now to get rid of these ads!

American Pickers just picked my buddy! On tonight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29sportcoupe, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

they're doing to old gas signs what barrett jackson did to cars

2. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

They always seem to pick lots of small stuff, that they can re-sell on the net and ship.
    I've seen them pass on many old cars that I would love to snag up.. Danielle is easy
    on the eyes too..

3. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

At least they are smart enough to be making a GOOD living doing what they do. Wish I could say the same thing. I still can say no, to a deal that's not good.

4. me too:d

5. You Think This is Serious?:confused:

6. pumpman

pumpman

I think this is funny! Just got some popcorn.

7. I have seen them overpay and I have seen them underpay. High rated show that most of us would enjoy doing. Banging on doors is something most people will not do and a lot of the stuff hasn't seen the light of day in years. More power to them. They really aren't making their living picking, they are making it as a tv show.

8. My wife and I enjoy the show. I would love to do what they do for a living! I always see some great stuff (cars etc.) that they don't make offers on, and wonder why.

9. Have you seen what they paid for some of the cars they did drag home. They don't know car values very well. They seem to buy unsellable cars for too much money.

10. SOLO

SOLO

I don't know how they can make a living off of making a few bucks off of things they buy for $20? They have to be doing something else to earn a living.

11. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

No doubt! Like the guys selling bread, cars, houses, whatever are selling their stuff for what they paid for it. I have lots of customers who dont have the time or interest in going out and finding parts etc., and are glad that myself and others do. :cool:

12. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

13. racemad55

racemad55

I can't get her picture to enlarge when I click on it ! How does that song go,I like women a little on the trashy side.

14. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

They don't seem to know much about cars or car parts, and they are easily impressed by otherwise worthless automotive junk. Their specialty seems to be old bicycle/motorcycle equipment.

I doubt if they actually cold call any of the pickees, when you consider the amount of production equipment that has to be dragged to every shoot. Remember, folks, its TV, and it is RARELY, if ever, spontaneous.

Otherwise, it's OK when there is nothing else to watch.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  15. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

There are whole websites out there dedicated to Danielle. She's an ex-roller derby girl,
    and does burlesque I think.. I'd pull up the site and post the link, but I'm at work. ;-)

16. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i think the doing something else is having a TV show.

17. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

they do cold calls, they recently called a friend of mine wanting to come pick him, he declined and they said they would be in the area for the next 2 weeks if he knew anyone for them.

re-read it, i'm guessing by cold call you mean going to peoples house not calling them on the phone

18. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Exactly.

19. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Yep, its entertainment, but its all STAGED....its not real....everybody here on this board has been a picker before these guys were even a Gleam in their father's eye. You don't get a hot deal walking in with a camera and 4 guys behind you. Right again, its affecting the prices like BJ ran up the car prices. People tell me hey- that pump in your yard is worth 3000---well come get it...then they talk about Pickers?? Watched the resto show a couple times...nice work?? yep looks it..are they doing the work?? Dunno...are the prices they are getting real?? Dunno. I recently helped settle an estate and the woman said she was thinnking about calling the pickers...noo Noo....

To use an extremely worn out and tiresome and over used Phrase: It is what it is...

Enjoy viewing!!

gaspumpchas

" I ain't nobody, Dork...."

20. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

I knew em' before they were ever "THE PICKERS"...They been going to the antique motorcycle show and swap meet in Davenport Iowa for 28 yrs. Frankie told me he lives in Davenport...and Mike lives somewhere near by. There good guys...they just got lucky and got hooked up with the History channel. The whole thing is scripted...someone goes in and tells the people that they are picking how it's all going down. I met a beach racer at Daytona bike week this year...Steve Coe... he rides a 1939 WLDR...and they contacted him to set up a show at his place..and believe me he has tons of cool stuff. He said it was kind of a joke the way they did things...But I'd rather watch that than most of the other crap on tv. Most peoele don't like them because they're getting big bucks for doing the same thing we've all been doing our whole lifes.

21. Sometimes they buy super cheap, but then the markup they expect to sell for is still cheap for what it is. I've seen some of the things they've had go for more money than they expect to get out of it. So it's not all bad.

I had to laugh at the one, though, the old guy with the two steam engines - they're hot to check out the old mobile home with the toys in it and I want to go back to the '34 Ford looking modified race car behind the trains.

And yeah, I agree, there's not a ton of profit in some of their picks that without the TV show I don't know how they could make it work. I mean a $25 box of toys with one thing worth the $25 is great, but how much time and effort is it going to take to double the money, to show a $25 profit that pays enough gas for them to go 100 miles?

22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

They were buying and selling at Davenport,Iola,Jefferson,Belvedere and other swaps in the upper Midwest for years before the show came on.
    I do a lot of cold calls and in the last few years many times the folks will ask "Are you one of those pickers?" I say yes and that I've been doing it more years than they have.
    Hasnt affected me or the pricing too much.As far as the sign price thing goes there have been collectors and hoarders of signs forever.There are warehouses filled by collectors and it seems to be a cyclical market.I dont buy them so any I stumble across are still where they were.

23. Did any of you watch the episode where the owner of a junk yard whose brother died and Viet nam shows them a POS "RR"?
    The owner said:"I put this together in 48 hours with some bronco parts,a 1930 something etc,I can go 120 mph on this thing..its a RR."
    Ant the pickers glorified it.
    Oh well I personally think that they are both lovers.
    Danielle is the only reason I watch the show.

24. richie rebel

richie rebel

the show is pretty good,i'll be watching tonight

25. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Besides the bad word, I totally agree. These dumb shows are just more stupidizing of the American car passion. Guys, cable is a waste of time and money...

Holy cow, remember Overhaulin? Thay ruin cars, but the general public attaches value to what they do.

26. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Ebay blew up the prices on gas/oil/auto related signs and related items years ago.

27. Did anyone see the one, when they bought the cherry '34 Ford pass. grille for a hunderd bucks? Dirty fuckers. I watch it though, it's alright. You can tell it's fake most of the time. That Danielle would make a dandy hat.

28. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Pawn Stars is fun....but also highly scripted and structured, but Danielle is certainly easier on the eyes than Chumlee...

We watch the pickers, mostly because there's so little else worthwhile on television.

dj

29. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

Thanks for the pic. I will not roll out of bed tonight. Thanks again.

30. Get enough for all of us.....;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.