Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956/57 Continental Mark II: Born Perfect.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 31, 2011.

1. hudson48

hudson48

That is right.Approx $1000 per car loss.When they went to public shareholding in 1956 I understand that the bean counters could not justify making a car at a loss and it was discontinued.

2. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

not really a fan of the car , but a huge fan of the motor.... got one in the roadster. always thought they were a little awkward , and yes i have worked on two of them..
    got a trans out of one if someone wants it .... (free)

3. CA. 280

CA. 280

This was 55 years ago so hopefully the memory is accurate. Was at a friends house in San Francisco when George Barris pulled up in one that had been painted a metallic burgundy with lots of the chrome pieces replated in gold. He was up north and had stopped to see Ed (Ed Bosio)
    who knew everone. Same memory says that Andy Brizio also came by, maybe he or Barris could confirm (or put an end to) that memory. Love this site, helps me seperate fact from from dream.

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Mitchell Bentley actually built the three thousand plus bodies for the Continental MkII's. They also did proto type work, and built fibreglass bodies for Ford, GM (Corvette) Mopar, & Kaiser.

Hah! $1,000 per car............industry rumor had it that GM (Cadillac Division) lost ten thousand on every Cadillac Brougham they built. GM, at the time the biggest automobile company in the world could eat 10K, Ford's Lincoln Division wasn't in that good of a money position. The build costs and quality just couldn't be maintained and demand for the Continental MkII had passed it by.

" The problem with america is that the guys who really know how to run the country are all tending bar and cutting hair ." -George Burns -

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

That is bloody gorgeous!!!!!

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Well, your figures don't jibe with those quoted by the LCOC (Lincoln Continental Owners Club) Their figures are '56 & '57 total built!

7. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No fiberglass anywhere on these 5000 lb. cars.

8. I know this tunnel very well. It can even challenge the most modern braking systems.

9. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

The 1955 Thunderbird has the same simple lines without much ornamentation especially with the hardtop on it. It looks a lot like a scaled down Continental Mark 2.

10. There is a reason for that similarity. Ford management found out Chevrolet was planning to produce a 2 seater sports car (corvette) and didn't want to be left behind. So a mad rush was started and since the Mark2 design was clean and crisp it was used to design a scaled down and slightly different appearing sports car. And rather than re-invent everything for what they expected to be a small piece of the market it shared many parts with the rest of the Ford line. They just refused to be beat at the sales floor.I'm guessing that the bird outsold its cross town, would be interested in production figures for both in '55.

11. oldthudman

oldthudman

I remember seeing a black Continental Mk II in the parking lot of the shopping center where I worked....Was some store owner's ....That was about 57 IIRC....
    Nice car, beautifully made, deep paint........I recall the hip from Ford/Lincoln at the time, especially about the paint........Receive umpteen coats of primer sanded between each and umpteen coats of paint (Lacquer I believe) wet sanded between each....It looked it too......
    Selected leathers for the interior.......instruments were watch like.
    Also recall the price.....$10,000/per copy.....That in the day when $2000-$3000 would buy you a nice Chevy, Ford or Dodge......

:)

12. concealledweapon

concealledweapon

resto shop i worked at back in the late 80's shipped a lot of these to Bahrain and Oman

13. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Attached Files:

14. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

So true, born perfect.. Like almost all pre 60`s Usa built rides !

15. neaterstuff 42

neaterstuff 42
    from georgia

These car are unbelievably beautiful FOREVER!! Even the hubcaps are classic. I once traded a set of chev (lower case) hubcaps for a set of these that were on a car trailer. Wish I still had them. These have finally gotten to a price level that does not allow me to own one. I have always creamed in my jeans over them.

16. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

My dad had a 56 back in the mid 80's, got asked all the time if it was a custom t-bird
    or what the hell is it. His was white with a 2 tone interior white/ dark green
    He still regrets selling it.

17. moefuzz

moefuzz

Fantastic Thread and a Timeless Car but I'm surprised no one posted links to the
    design and making of the 'New Continental'.

1955 Creating the Continental MK ll - Part 1 of 2

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vZr2ue5DMWY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="510" width="640"></iframe>

Part 2 of 2

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KcYl5iK2Tkk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="510" width="640"></iframe>

And to top it off, Dennis Gage (My Classic Car) did a story on not one but 3
    Ford Family Owned Continental ll''s, You can watch the entire episode at

http://www.myclassiccar.com/video/

Season 15 Episode 14

18. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Wow ,strange that I post in this thread the other day and then today I run
    across 2 of these for sale
    A light blue 56 and a black 57.
    The guy wants $35,000 for the 56, it's on the road ,driver quality.
    The 57 is a complete car seems solid but needs complete restoration guy
    wants $6,000. and it's an a/c car.
    I think I'm going to go back and buy the 57 for the price I don't think I can go wrong

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  19. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

In the early '70's I was in Navy and stationed at Lakehurst, NJ. There was a PRCM (Parachute Rigging Master Chief) last name "Lunger". He drove a '56 as daily transportation and had 5-6 parts cars parked behind CPO barracks, anyone know of him?

20. Pat Marshall

Pat Marshall
    from ohio

Chief Lunger owned #2389. I wish we had the vins of his parts cars. Here's what we have on the Chief and his car.

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=24732#post24732

Pat Marshall
    Historian
    Mark II Forum

21. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Those cars are just about perfect. I remember one sitting behind a barn when I was a kid.
    Nothing wrong with modifying one, but with taste. We have all seen butchered customs.
    [​IMG]

22. Here's mine I bought this summer. Awesome engineered car. It will someday go back to it's original black color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The comment about the instruments being watch like is bang on.

[​IMG]

23. turdytoo

turdytoo

When I was a kid, Richard Strock bought the Lloyd Bakan car through Barris. I remember going to his shop on Atlantic and there was a candy red Mark II. Richard said it was George's wifes car. A few years later, I was in a junk yard in Norwalk or Santa Fe Spring and spotted a Mark front cap on a rack. It had faded candy red paint and I knew it was Mrs. Barris's because of the stacked headlights. I asked George a few years back if he wanted to know what my favorite Barris car was and he seemed very pleased when I told him it was the candy red Mark he did for his wife.

24. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Definitely a favorite.

25. barry2952

barry2952

You are incorrect. There were a few over 3,000 made. There were 2,550 made for the model year '56 ('55 and '56 production) and 444 '57s. You shouldn't believe everything you read. About 1,800 have been accounted for, so your number is way off.

One of the original convertible conversions mentioned earlier is mine. It's currently in Lincoln's Design Studio for inspiration.

[​IMG]

26. elba

elba

My Father bought a 56 in 1973 for a thousand bucks. It had thrown a rod out the side of the block. He said that it was one S/N away from Henry Ford's personal MK 2. My Father completed the restoration. It was an A/C car. There are two pictures of it in the June 1986 issue of Collectable Automobile on pages 16 and 17. I can tell it is his because he did not have the little emblem that goes behind the fwd wheel well on the right side. He couldn't locate one so he just put the left one on. Nobody ever noticed.
    I think the car is in England now.

27. barry2952

barry2952

From what I understand George Barris' car, as you remember it, is currently being sold to Brett Barris.

28. barry2952

barry2952

I read that the early bodies were made by another Michigan body maker. Any info on this?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014