Register now to get rid of these ads!

inside valve cover?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Jun 13, 2011.

1. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I blasted my 331 hemi valve covers yesterday to get them ready for prime and paint. Its gonna be some time before the engine is complete and I dont want rust to reform on the inside of them again. I know regular paint is a bad idea. Would glyptal be ok? Or maybe just a light coat of rust converting primer since its high in zinc? I live in NC and....well if its not protected, it will rust. Rust is as bad as termites around here. Suggestions?

2. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

3. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Glyptal is a little pricey for just rust prevention on the inside of a valve cover. If your just going to store them, us a coat of motor oil or do like my gramdma with her iron skillets and coat them with cooking oil. Painting those valve covers on the inside would be a bad idea like you said. I'd oil em and store em. For the outside, you think about powdercoating them?

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

I know for certain that some valve covers were painted on the inside - as long as it's a light coat I don't see how it can cause any problems down the road?
    But if you're worried about it, just rub it down with a light layer of grease.

5. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

i thought about powder on the outside.......gotta look into matching a powder to Chrysler's "Golden Lion/Gold Metallic".....quick google search revealed nothing. Should email Final Touch and see if they have a exact match...which i doubt

6. 73RR

73RR

Here ya go!

Gold Metallic, Mopar part number P4529149

For the inside, I recommend using a cold-galv spray. Rustoleum is available from places like Home Depot.

7. Oil is a good idea or if you must paint armature paint is what I would use. That is what we use on the inside of our engine blocks to seal them up and help the oil move back to the pan. Make sure that your metal is good and clean first. No primer just armature paint.

8. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Gonna have to look into this one. Whats the best brand to use? And who sells it?

9. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Glyptal = armature paint. It's origanal use was in elec. stuff.

10. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

If the reddish armature paint is Glyptol, who is your source? My supply is low, last quart was "freebee" aka "undocumented employee benefit" (grin).

I coat inside of valve covers and other "hidden" surfaces with self-etching primer, comes in rattle cans, good stuff.

11. You get it from an electrical supply house.

The stuff that I have here is called Dem-Kote Class F Red Insulating Enamel. I have had it a long time, I'm down to about 2 cans. I better start shopping I guess.

I got the idea from a fella from Texas that I met at a roundy round race once a long time ago. We were talking about block prep and he said that this was the way to go after polishing and removal of flashing etc.

DuPont makes a good product as well. I have used both no problems.

if you go to an electrical supply house and just tell them you want armature paint they should know what you are talking about. it comes in a spray bomb or a little bucket that you can brush on.

12. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

I was going to see if they could match ford gold metalic, for 59/60 Edsel. Been wanting to take a trip over there and talk with them.

13. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

If you have something with the correct color they probably can.....I gotta try n find a spray bomb of Golden Lion and hose something down in it and take it in......or go off photos. Sucks that powder doesnt correspond to automotive colors...:(

....now to locate glyptal/armature paint

14. Mine came from Eastwood but it's red...

Attached Files:

15. gas pumper

gas pumper

I used to buy the Demkote red insulating enamel from Grainger's. Always bought rattle cans, I don't know if they have it in brush-on.

It's good stuff. I used to use it on starter and generator field coils as insurance over the factory varnish.

Bullet proof coating. Hold up to everything, never comes off.

16. David Chandler

David Chandler

I've shot them with Rustolium rattle can red primer. And have never seen it come off, after a very long time of use on several SBC's. Just make sure it's cleaned well and it should be adiquate inside of things like valve covers, and timing covers.

17. George

George

Someone once said their hemi ran a little hotter with powder coated valley & valve covers.

18. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Might want to use LPS 3. It's a rust preventative that comes in a spray can. You can wipe it out with solvent when it's time to assemble.

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Motorcycle chain lube in a aerosol can will keep you valve covers from rusting. Also, gun shops sell aerosol rust preventatives that are clear.

[​IMG]

20. squirrel

squirrel

do you have AC in your house? if so store them in your house...

21. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Thats the downfall to powder coating on engine parts. I cant see how some of these folks powder coat the block and heads also....too much heat insulation. Anywho, if I can find a high temp paint thats pretty close to Golden Lion....probably go that route for the outside....but I do want some protection on the inside...not a lot just some. Chrysler Firepower valve covers are starting to get harder to find in decent condition, and I prefer them over anything readily available today...for-say from Hot Heads.....so must protect what I got...

22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

DAMN, wipe some oil on them:D.

23. Deuces

Deuces

Amen!